VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

Thanks a lot for the answers everyone. I ended up loosening the dampers a lot until I can see the top end of the screws. Stick now returns to center and flying is a little better. Still very loose and the slightest movement will cause tiny movements in pitch and roll but a bit more manageable.

I will swap the cams to the #30 cams tomorrow. Probably keep the default #20 springs on and see how that goes.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still very loose and the slightest movement will cause tiny movements in pitch and roll but a bit more manageable.

I assume you calibrated all axes correctly in VKBdevCfg, with resulting axes values for KdHi/KdLo well below 255 (e.g., 80-150 or so)? You can check that in VKBdevCfg > Profile > Axes page.

if not correctly calibrated, the MaRS sensor is limited in its in its range of reading axis movement, resulting in an overly sensitive feel.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I assume you calibrated all axes correctly in VKBdevCfg, with axes values for KdHi/KdLo well below 255 (e.g., 80-150 or so)? You can check that in VKBdevCfg > Profile > Axes page.

if not correctly calibrated, the MaRS sensor is limited in its in its range of reading axis movement, resulting in an overly sensitive feel.

Perhaps I need to recalibrate it. Some of the values are within limits others are a bit high.

Also might be a bad time to ask but I bought this from another member and it was brand new which he also gave me the invoice. I'm not expecting any issues but I just read the warranty is not transferable ea8093f8b750ca70d75e82aa8455a0e7.jpg

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I personally like my MCG with just a slight bit of tension of the Dampers. Just enough so if I let go of the stick, it doesn't rock back'n forth like a pendulum. Plus the stick isn't moving with every heartbeat in a tense fight. :)

However, I have the stock #20 springs installed and have been thinking about putting the #30's in instead, just to give the stick enough "umph" to return the stick to center a little more forcefully. It's my belief that this will help the stick return to neutral/center while eliminating any wobble.

I'll do this on the weekend and will follow up with my observations.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Perhaps I need to recalibrate it. Some of the values are within limits others are a bit high.

Sorry I'm late, and I haven't read all other users' replies to you, so chances are someone had already suggested this.

Anyway,

The absolutely FIRST thing to do in such situation is to run a very simple test:

release the clutch

pull the grip to the left to the limit

remove your hand from the grip letting it go freely

take a screenshot of the curve

repeat the same with the right, top, bottom sides

Key words: remove your hand. I repeat: take your hand off the grip, do not follow it on its way back. (sorry I am not talking to you as to a retard but if only you could know how many times people fail to get this simple message...)

At the end you will have 4 screenshots with 4 curves.

Publish them here.

Also, try running this VKB test utility, and this one.

We will see.

Edited by AeroGator

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Sorry I'm late, and I haven't read all other users' replies to you, so chances are someone had already suggested this.

Anyway,

The absolutely FIRST thing to do in such situation is to run a very simple test:

release the clutch

pull the grip to the left to the limit

remove your hand from the grip letting it go freely

take a screenshot of the curve

repeat the same with the right, top, bottom sides

Key words: remove your hand. I repeat: take your hand off the grip, do not follow it on its way back. (sorry I am not talking to you as to a retard but if only you could know how many times people fail to get this simple message...)

At the end you will have 4 screenshots with 4 curves.

Publish them here.

Also, try running this VKB test utility, and this one.

We will see.

Thanks for the reply. Here are the screenshots I took with VKB JoyTester. The Response curve section under Profile tab of VKBDevConfig 0_87_05 was not reading movement which is why I used the Joytester program.

DeflectDown_LetGo.jpg.825e4f028df5ec8cae6a8cc35b1050ad.jpg

DeflectLeft_LetGo.jpg.65f06dc77c55508e5286879dfe960d4a.jpg

DeflectRight_LetGo.jpg.209f7abcf1f64c17d114ca0756746dd8.jpg

DeflectUp_LetGo.jpg.0319251343dbe6679adb91fe5b57b1c5.jpg

That is pretty much the same response profiles I would see before I added a "slight" amount of tension on the clutches.
Ok so then it seems normal. I'm going to change the cams the the 30's. Keep the original springs on it and possibly also keep the clutches the same way I have them now.

I just hope to have the right wrench for the bolts. I didn't see anything in the box except the small Allen key it came with but I'm sure my toolbox will have something.

Edited by sze5003

I'm not going to say "it's normal" because I have no idea. I have only had this stick for a few months and still have no idea how to utilize the software (although I have the stick working as I like having effected only one function).

All I was saying is that what you see in your screenshots is what I saw. Whether or not it is normal or "proper" is a question for those with much more experience than I have.

That said, I found that by tightening the Clutches ever so slightly, I was able to eliminate the osculations of the stick. So rather than it pendulum'ing back and forth beyond the center/neutral point, the stick now returns to center and stays there, while still being very sensitive to the touch.

I think this was a case of preference rather than correctness.

@sze5003:

qiCAqHY.png

The X/Y values look alright (yellow box), but you didn't include the folding trigger in the calibration (see red arrows) - 255 values mean that calibration was not attempted. Even though the trigger behaves like a button, it's - under the hood - an analog axis that's read by the MaRS sensor. Virtual buttons are assigned to have this axis work as a trigger.

I would suggest to re-calibrate everything using this FAQ entry: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=how-to-calibrate-your-gunfighter-mcg-mcg-pro-correctly

Lastly, once calibrated, verify the KD HI/LO values for the trigger again, and then enable the "Armed" checkbox. This gives you yet another button for the trigger. So flipped up can be assigned in DCS as "Safe!", flipped down (Armed) could now be assigned in DCS as "Select Cannon!", and of course squeezing the trigger could be "Fire!" (as what you likely already have).

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

@sze5003:

qiCAqHY.png

The X/Y values look alright (yellow box), but you didn't include the folding trigger in the calibration (see red arrows) - 255 values mean that calibration was not attempted. Even though the trigger behaves like a button, it's - under the hood - an analog axis that's read by the MaRS sensor. Virtual buttons are assigned to have this axis work as a trigger.

I would suggest to re-calibrate everything using this FAQ entry: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=how-to-calibrate-your-gunfighter-mcg-mcg-pro-correctly

Lastly, once calibrated, verify the KD HI/LO values for the trigger again, and then enable the "Armed" checkbox. This gives you yet another button for the trigger. So flipped up can be assigned in DCS as "Safe!", flipped down (Armed) could now be assigned in DCS as "Select Cannon!", and of course squeezing the trigger could be "Fire!" (as what you likely already have).

I swapped out for the #30 cams and re ran calibration. Included the trigger this time. It feels a lot better. Going to have a flight soon after DC's updates. Very happy with the centering now. Thanks a lot for the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.

The process to swap the cams was very simple and I was afraid I would screw it up. I made sure to put the washers back in the right order too.

For anyone wondering you need a 7mm wrench or socket wrench for tightening and loosening the cam bolts. It was way easier than I thought. Hold the Allen key in place on the one side and loosen with the wrench on the other side of the cam bolts. And also springs didn't go flying off into the abyss of my room so that's a plus for my first time doing this.

That's good to hear. Glad you got it all feeling better for you, including the cams! :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

questions

Hi,

I've received my Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro stick last week, ordered from the European distributor and I have couple of questions.

1. after pressing "Set" within VKB Device Config, the device restarts and the Stick led goes from solid green to blinking red. Everything seems to work and my settings are saved but the red light is a little unnerving.

Before pressing Set, the joystick was reset, then calibrated.

It doesn't matter if I actually change any settings or not before pressing Set.

VKB Device Config is v0.89.76, firmware version is v1.960.

2. The 2-stage trigger only registers a single button press - button 1 lights up, never button 2 ( I assume it should be button 2). As far as I can tell, all other buttons work okay. Is this a defect with the stick?

Thank you

Pre-orderd a MCG+GF3+extention... 4 month

Kid bumped into me when paying, pressed "cancel order"... 0.5 sec

Submitting ticket to "un-cancel" my order... 2min

Waiting for answer... forever!

*joy* *panik* *cry* *cry* *cry*

A part of NOSIG

Hi utopic

Have you found the answers and help you need yet ?

I have done minimal work with the Profiler but I got my VKB MCG Pro working the way I want.

I might be able to help you out. But I prefer Speech over Text.

If you like, please PM me and we can arrange to hook up on Discord or TeamSpeak ASAP to get you on your way.

Chris aka SnowTiger

Hi utopic

Have you found the answers and help you need yet ?

I have done minimal work with the Profiler but I got my VKB MCG Pro working the way I want.

I might be able to help you out. But I prefer Speech over Text.

If you like, please PM me and we can arrange to hook up on Discord or TeamSpeak ASAP to get you on your way.

Chris aka SnowTiger

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the offer - I might take you up on it over the weekend, during the week is more complicated for me to do voice.

I haven't found solutions yet, fortunately, except for the blinking stick light and the 2 stage trigger acting like a simple trigger, there are no other issues.

Even though the trigger behaves like a button, it's - under the hood - an analog axis that's read by the MaRS sensor. Virtual buttons are assigned to have this axis work as a trigger.

That Was Mind Blowing - to me!

I thought that the trigger was a button with a sensor reading when flipped up. And I believe many does that mistake!

I did run the calibration at the first, but forgot to flip the trigger up/down and didn't get it work at the first time, until recalibrate on second day.

Seriously, VKB has great videos about swapping the cams and springs etc. And just as excellent the comparison image of the "normal - TM - PRO" versions differences, yet when it comes to now these functions it has, I haven't seen such video specifically telling what it can do!

I received my unit just couple days, and I took couple evenings to myself just fly with it... Because it is such a pleasure.

And now these tidbits has clarified that new feature that I didn't even know when I read all the announcement and such... Like I have now the impression that the foldable trigger can be configured to be a three!!! stage trigger depending its range of pull!

1) Button when folded up (Safe)

2) Button when folded down (Armed)

3) Button when starting to squeeze (first detent, based axis)

4) Button when trigger button is press by spring (normal spring button)

5) Button when trigger ends the squeeze (second detent, based axis)

That trigger is clearly extremely important by its features it offers for virtual pilot to configure their systems......

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MCG Pro on GF Pro, v0.87.05 and firmware v1.94.9.

I've been having an issue in DCS the last couple of days where the pitch and roll axis stop responding for a few seconds. The buttons still work, as does the brake axis and mini stick. Mostly it comes back after a few seconds, but once it went full back and left deflection and it needed a restart to fix it. I spun in to the deck that time.

When it happens, VKBDevCfg test shows the axis is definitely NOT moving.So it's likely something going on in the stick itself.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's plugged directly into a mobo usb, or a usb hub. Sometimes it's good for an hour or two, sometimes it glitches a few times in a minute.

Has anyone else had this or have some suggestions? I don't know if it's a firmware issue, hardware or whatever. Thanks.

Update: I just had the first stage of the trigger completely fail on me! I can pull to second stage and that works fine, but first stage is broken. Lodged a support ticket.

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Anyone knows how I could get a F-14 Module Profile for my MCG Pro?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think there is one that heatblur has made yet as default. I just set everything myself using spudknockers hotas settings on YouTube.

I don't think there is one that heatblur has made yet as default. I just set everything myself using spudknockers hotas settings on YouTube.

Me too, but I thought someone like you could share his :)

Me too, but I thought someone like you could share his :)

Oh sure I can do that when I get home. I'll message you it and you should be able to import it via DCS.