Is CA worth it in SP?

AhSoul

So the Summer Sale is on and I'm considering buying some extra DCS modules while the prices are good :)

Currently all I have is A-10C, and I'm thinking about getting one of the helis (probably DS2 unless someone can convince me the Huey is better) and maybe CA.

I used to play a lot of M1A1 Tank Platoon when I was a lot younger (showing my age!) and wondered if CA is similar to that? Do you have missions to complete with a set number of assets you can control around the target area like M1A1 so you can take your time and plan your approach, or is it more of an open battlefield and you just jump around the different vehicles while they do their pre-programmed routes etc?

Most importantly is it fun and satisfying in SP, or is it really and truthfully only aimed at MP?

Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

Even though you pulled the trigger, it adds so much more to be able to direct ground forces while you're in the air. It's just a shame that the opposing AI doesn't react other than returning fire. Would be very cool if you could place opposition down, give them an objective and they would act autonomously.

In the SP-missions you will encounter a mix of static (defensive) troops in and around cities and several units that are triggered during a mission and which will drive around, but generally no real offensive AI behaviour. As in all other games (like ARMA for example), the AI of course only does what it is told to do by the mission designer and the SP-missions for CA don´t vary that much in this respect.

The first thing that has to be fixed for ground units IMHO is the pathfinding. It´s the basis for any real autonomy of ground units. Right now, they often can´t even cross a bridge without getting hopelessly stuck...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

In the SP-missions you will encounter a mix of static (defensive) troops in and around cities and several units that are triggered during a mission and which will drive around, but generally no real offensive AI behaviour. As in all other games (like ARMA for example), the AI of course only does what it is told to do by the mission designer and the SP-missions for CA don´t vary that much in this respect.

The first thing that has to be fixed for ground units IMHO is the pathfinding. It´s the basis for any real autonomy of ground units. Right now, they often can´t even cross a bridge without getting hopelessly stuck...

(Bold mine)

I'm not sure static is the right word -- could give one the impression they don't move or think (AI). Maybe it's more accurate to just say they're limited to defense, as you also said.

Also -- this only applies to the missions that come with CA. The mission editor is in no way limited as to offensive operations on either side.