Realistic curvature settings - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
SVTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex(104) View Post
I am absolutely not implying you are wrong, especially if to note that you've tried real L-39 and I haven't. Sorry if you felt like this. I am only to share my findings, same as you are.

Basically in my understanding, curvatures depend on stick size and its angle of nodding (and not of certain model/mechanics/electronics of stick). Actual aircraft has approximately twice bigger stick than most common joystick models, and about 17 cm run from center to side. That's rough mathematics.

l-29 was not a typo but it is about L-29 Delphin aircraft, which is predecessor of L-39 and rather similar to it. Plus to this, I tested real flight simulator equipped with 1:1 real L-39 cabin, so had small opportunity to compare both crafts and their stick's movements (although 39th was only simulator and 29 was real one). That's why I mentioned my experience. Anyway it was quite short flight time and I am not a professional pilot, just very beginning amateur: https://youtu.be/HPHFBq2XVGY So let's check in flight and find best option)

I guess your stick has different measures, that's why another numbers fit better. My own wish is to install bigger stick with actual L-39C's size and use flat curvatures without any tricks at all.
That was a misunderstanding on my part, I do apologize. Awesome video by the way!

I suspect that it's almost impossible to achieve 100% parity in control feel to the actual aircraft with computer peripherals though. If you get good results with a bigger stick though, please let me know. I wish I had the money to try out the VKB stick to see if it had a more realistic feeling "weight" to it, but I have to chose between budgeting for the modules and hardware, so I have to pick and choose very carefully.

EDIT - How was the Delphin to fly? I had plans to fly it, but never got around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Thank you for that I love flying the L-39 but if I'm honest I've always had a very hard time keeping her in level flight.This is so much better now.Cheers
No problem, I'm glad that helped. Yes, the real aircraft is not difficult to maintain level flight in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
Thanks for this! I'll be sure to check it out.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by SVTONY; 01-10-2018 at 10:26 PM.
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
Alex(104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTONY View Post
That was a misunderstanding on my part, I do apologize. Awesome video by the way!

I suspect that it's almost impossible to achieve 100% parity in control feel to the actual aircraft with computer peripherals though. If you get good results with a bigger stick though, please let me know. I wish I had the money to try out the VKB stick to see if it had a more realistic feeling "weight" to it, but I have to chose between budgeting for the modules and hardware, so I have to pick and choose very carefully.

EDIT - How was the Delphin to fly? I had plans to fly it, but never got around to it.

No problem, I'm glad that helped. Yes, the real aircraft is not difficult to maintain level flight in.

Hope it helps.
Thank you for nice words)
Of course, 100% is rather challenging, but theoretically should be close to it with taller stick.

Delphin in fly: 1. surprisingly close by feeling (size, gauges, visuals) to VR or home cabin flight in DCS) Most surprise was that I could do simple maneuvres like 360-turn with roll 30-45-60 degrees, climb/down with 45 degrees the same way as accustomed in DCS.
2. Very, very sharp reaction to stick - plane reacts immediately and precisely to what you want (pitch, roll, fix of it). Force on stick varies from almost free and empty, even less than home joystick (on ground, take off) to "hard springs" (roll 45). 4. Roll 60 and 85 - something what made me shock and hard breathing)) (g-force 5,2; stick becomes tens of kg weight - hard to control). 5. tendency for nose nodding down at ~350 km/h airspeed - need to pull up (stick becomes heavy then). 6. Perfect visual range from cockpit. 7. Hard for myself to unglue from gauges view. If you see cloud leaking through front glass, it make a little funny in a head)

mainly these are impressions. Anyway I really enjoyed, hopefully to compare with L-39 once.
Alex(104) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #13
msalama
Veteran

There's no one true answer to this IMO, since controllers are way different in feel and response. A good-quality JS with an extension doesn't necessarily need any curves at all, whereas, say, the T.HOTAS I'm using clearly does, and then there're personal matters such as preference, hand physique, etc. to consider too. Which means your particular settings, whatever they are, are as valid as mine & vice versa
Old 01-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
streakeagle

I was flying with a Warthog stick and a 15 cm extension to match the movement range of my real F-4 Phantom stick in height and range of pitch motion. Now I am flying with a brand new VKB MCS Pro with the extension. It is taller than my Warthog setup by nearly two inches (5 cm) with a correspondingly much larger range of motion. I don't use any curves, which worked well with both of them. The feel of the VKB is better which allows much smoother/precise control. I can't think of a DCS module that gives me any trouble where I would need to use curves (I have all of them). I think maybe the Spitfire has the most sensitive controls. I can only use a relatively small part of the pitch axis before getting into trouble. I can see where I might want to use curves on a Warthog with no extension.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
SVTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex(104) View Post
Thank you for nice words)
Of course, 100% is rather challenging, but theoretically should be close to it with taller stick.

Delphin in fly: 1. surprisingly close by feeling (size, gauges, visuals) to VR or home cabin flight in DCS) Most surprise was that I could do simple maneuvres like 360-turn with roll 30-45-60 degrees, climb/down with 45 degrees the same way as accustomed in DCS.
2. Very, very sharp reaction to stick - plane reacts immediately and precisely to what you want (pitch, roll, fix of it). Force on stick varies from almost free and empty, even less than home joystick (on ground, take off) to "hard springs" (roll 45). 4. Roll 60 and 85 - something what made me shock and hard breathing)) (g-force 5,2; stick becomes tens of kg weight - hard to control). 5. tendency for nose nodding down at ~350 km/h airspeed - need to pull up (stick becomes heavy then). 6. Perfect visual range from cockpit. 7. Hard for myself to unglue from gauges view. If you see cloud leaking through front glass, it make a little funny in a head)

mainly these are impressions. Anyway I really enjoyed, hopefully to compare with L-39 once.
Thanks for sharing. I'm having health problems right now but if I can get medically re-certified to fly I will take one for a spin. I hope you're able to fly an L-39 sometime, it is a wonderful aircraft.
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #16
BitMaster
Veteran

There are roughly 200 privately owned L39's in the US, like 300k$/plane.

Those guys in these YT video love her, I personally could not become a good friend of her yet, she flies like a Stiletto whereas I prefer heavier and less agile. Anyway, that is only me.

Fact is, privat Pilots love that Jet, reliable, cheap (n well, if you are a Millionaire maybe ), fun to fly.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
humptydumpty

Thanks , I have kept the roll to 10 as I have an extended stick but the pitch is a bit of a nuisance I will try some curves for the pitch.

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote