VkB MCG pro springs selection

Abburo

I am using #50 and #20 on each axis.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was thinking of also adding #20 to my #50 springs.

Closer to the WH Stick with a better Gimbal?

Still a little looser to me than the Warthog, but very smooth and I can feel center better.

Pitch axis still was not as well defined in center as the roll axis ( probably due to the offset extension), so I changed to #30 cam on the pitch.

Pretty happy with it now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Warthog cam in pitch, 10 in roll. #50+#30 in pitch, #20+#30 in roll. (Not 100% sure on the roll there.) Very little damper, it’s there but not very noticeable. I put some high viscosity gel on the nylon clutch arms, which makes it much less prone to stiction. Nyogel767a.

Still a little looser to me than the Warthog, but very smooth and I can feel center better.

Pitch axis still was not as well defined in center as the roll axis ( probably due to the offset extension), so I changed to #30 cam on the pitch.

Pretty happy with it now.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll attempt the same and see how it feels.

Edit: Completed switch to #30 cams and have #40 + #20 springs on both axes. Feels nice with solid centering and tension is much better for me. Now to fly a bit.

Edited by Catseye

Thanks for the feedback. I'll attempt the same and see how it feels.

Edit: Completed switch to #30 cams and have #40 + #20 springs on both axes. Feels nice with solid centering and tension is much better for me. Now to fly a bit.

:thumbup:

Have fun!

Don B

Thank you guys. I never considered adding a second spring (!!!) but i'll definitely give a try. I am currently using #40 because I thought it will help with helicopters. I am trying to find an all arrounder combination that will work to jets, WW2 warbirds and helis.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

• 6 months later...

It's my inderstanding that 2x #50 on each axis is the max. You can do a search on this forum where Uni who is one of the producers said 2 #50 springs are ok. Search here http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Please do NOT use extra stiff springs

I am doing a write up on the VKB GF MCG Pro and for kicks, installed custom heavy duty springs from McMaster-Carr that are about three times as stiff as a #50 spring. Worked just fine, ... nothing broke or bent, but I did not have a chance to test it for months or years. I think the steel cams though can probably take it just fine.

I would explicitly warn everyone against copying this experience, seriously.

Springs' resistance is carefully calculated by not-the-dumbest-in-the-world engineers, and #50 is the strongest for a reason.

There are things other than just springs in the mechanism. Sure thing, nothing will break in a day or two, but this doesn't prove anything - and particularly it doesn't prove that the gimbal will keep working for years (or that VKB will accept any warranty claim resulting from such usage).

We do encourage and support modifications, but not this far.

Using extra stiff springs is clearly a threat to the gimbal mechanism.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I would explicitly warn everyone against copying this experience, seriously.

Springs' resistance is carefully calculated by not-the-dumbest-in-the-world engineers, and #50 is the strongest for a reason.

There are things other than just springs in the mechanism. Sure thing, nothing will break in a day or two, but this doesn't prove anything - and particularly it doesn't prove that the gimbal will keep working for years (or that VKB will accept any warranty claim resulting from such usage).

We do encourage and support modifications, but not this far.

Using extra stiff springs is clearly a threat to the gimbal mechanism.

can you confirm that the maximum resistance on each axis is 2 #50 springs?

Using 2x #50 springs here also on each axis, using an extension and MCG. Mechanisms been working fine for a year or so now - but I did have the nut come off the pitch cam roller bearing stud the other day, along with the bearing and spacer while flying.

Loud 'snap' and lost spring pressure in pitch - thought I had snapped something, so happy to see it was just a nut fallen off and the cam was pressing directly on the stud threads. Reinstalled nut with a tiny dab of loctite.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been using a #50 and #30 spring on each axis for a while now, so far so good and it provides me about the right amount of feel for my preferences.

Don B

can you confirm that the maximum resistance on each axis is 2 #50 springs?

Look, there are 2 #50 springs in the set. Why there are no say #70 or #100 springs - neither in the set, nor as an option? Might be for a reason. Why it needs additional confirmation I'm not getting, but OK, I confirm.

:joystick:

>

AeroGator

Look, there are 2 #50 springs in the set. Why there are no say #70 or #100 springs - neither in the set, nor as an option? Might be for a reason. Why it needs additional confirmation I'm not getting, but OK, I confirm.

Providing #50 springs does not confirm that two can be used simultaneously on one axis. For instance the maximum recommended could have been a #50 and a #40. So no, it is not implied. Its also not in the PDFs on your website.

Most of us here dont want to break a $300 product that took a year to order. Not sure it would be worth waiting another year to purchase again.

Providing #50 springs does not confirm that two can be used simultaneously on one axis. For instance the maximum recommended could have been a #50 and a #40. So no, it is not implied. Its also not in the PDFs on your website.

Most of us here dont want to break a $300 product that took a year to order. Not sure it would be worth waiting another year to purchase again.

I use 2x #50 on both axis. No problems to report.

Beamscanner's question was perfectly reasonable as per his response. Best business practices don't generally involve (trying to) mock your own customers.

... Best business practices don't generally involve (trying to) mock your own customers.

I find it seems to be a fairly common trait in the flight sim community...

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWO #50 springs on one axis is OK but not wwithout a warning. Especially when using extension. Imagine what force you are applying to the mechanism given the lever.

The mechanism is as rigid as can be in its compact size, however we expect people to understand that everything has limits.

John can load the mechanism with 2*50 on each axis, and use his joystick for years no problem; Jack would destroy it in a month, simply because of difference in their individual styles (Jack slams the lever at the endpoint limiters with all his power while John hardly ever touches the limiters at all).

Common sense rules.

>

AeroGator