Poblem with Maverick MFD grond units visibility

hreich

Ok...so i don't know if this is normal..But when i got target locked through my TGP, then switch soi to my MAV screen, 3 miles from target i don't even see it on maverick screen..Please, does anybody know if it is bug, or something on my end?

On pic2 you can see what my tgp sees, and on pic1 is maverick slaved to tgp

pic.thumb.jpg.adcbf20c39b96057a7e9567a6b787d23.jpg

pic2.thumb.jpg.0c86eb70fa06337d8f868074d14eb662.jpg

Edited by hreich

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

This is normal behaviour. The TGP has much higher zoom than the Maverick's sensor. That grey blob you see in the crosshairs of the Mav display is indeed the car you have locked up, and is enough for the Mav to guide to its target.

Incidentally the Maverick is usually able to lock and fire from a range of about 8nm.

Ok...so i don't know if this is normal..But when i got target locked through my TGP, then switch soi to my MAV screen, 3 miles from target i don't even see it on maverick screen..Please, does anybody know if it is bug, or something on my end?

On pic2 you can see what my tgp sees, and on pic1 is maverick slaved to tgp

Edited by Sgt_Baker

UltraMFCD 3.0 in the works.

https://ultramfcd.com

This is normal behaviour. The TGP has much higher zoom than the Maverick's sensor. That grey blob you see in the crosshairs of the Mav display is indeed the tank you have locked up, and is enough for the Mav to guide to its target.

Incidentally the Maverick is usually able to lock and fire from a range of about 8nm.

I think there were the testrange charts about Maverick capabilities to engage targets and they were IIRC about 1.5-2.5km only! No where near the max ranges that you can do in the DCS. That 8nm is 14km.... Far far over the more realistic capabilities it should have.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182015

And then there is reason why the laser seeker Maverics are used mostly, because you can force collarate the launch to target area and then let the ground team to laze the target so the Maverick can see it at close range.

Looking at maverick B manual... the lock on ranges on sunny day (overcast -20%) are specified in avg. figures as:

bridge - 5-15km

train - 2-4km

tank - <3km

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3036525&postcount=34

The talks about long ranges are so unrealistic as they are really for very special targets (like ship on sea, bridge, a building on desert etc) as it is very dependant for the contrast and size, and thinkin even a typical vehicle on the ground against ground clutter.... You don't lock on it so easily. On desert maybe at those nicer ranges but...

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ok thanks for reply..on another note, should the video feed from maverick move closer to target as missile is closing on target?

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

IIRC the Maverick doesn't do a scene lock like cruise missiles or KAB-500KR TV guided bomb. Meaning that the surrounding is stored to memory and while flying the targeting system tracks the surrounding area instead just the center of the target locked. This way you get it more accurate as at the finals the target is being searched at center, or something like that.

Is this with the D maverick or H?

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

The mavericks actually are good at 20 plus miles, I just don't think the A10c, or at lest the pods we currently have modeled, and of course game physics, will allow the shots to be much longer than the 8-10 we have now for ground weapons. Will be interesting to see if all missiles get a revamp and balance with the F18, F14, and Harrier all coming out Soon

6D80k38.jpg

It should on the newer models and pods that use "gun cam" recordings. Some nations also use tv guidance to steer their missiles in, similar to a long range tow after the initial guidance from the aircraft becomes less usefull than its seeker head. There are also laser guided mavericks, but because of some airforce limitations, along with the sim limitations, what we have now is a good compromise.

Fire off your Maverick then switch over to TGP where you had the target zoomed in and marked. Pull back a little, and it will give you the feel at least of a TV sensor, like we saw on some Paveways going through windows and down A/C shafts from footage of the first Gulf War.

6D80k38.jpg

I think there were the testrange charts about Maverick capabilities to engage targets and they were IIRC about 1.5-2.5km only! No where near the max ranges that you can do in the DCS. That 8nm is 14km.... Far far over the more realistic capabilities it should have.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182015

And then there is reason why the laser seeker Maverics are used mostly, because you can force collarate the launch to target area and then let the ground team to laze the target so the Maverick can see it at close range.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3036525&postcount=34

The talks about long ranges are so unrealistic as they are really for very special targets (like ship on sea, bridge, a building on desert etc) as it is very dependant for the contrast and size, and thinkin even a typical vehicle on the ground against ground clutter.... You don't lock on it so easily. On desert maybe at those nicer ranges but...

Uhm, why do you compare a maverick A (RB75) to an D/H/G etc...? The A has a very basic TV sensor and is the first version. Doesn`t have any cooling time as compare to the ones used by A10C for example (cooling limit means that the seeker is more sensitive too as opposed to non cooled). The performance of the missiles is very different and shouldn`t be compared. But for the A10C and Viggen as it stands, the ranges are reliable. Nothing wrong there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Uhm, why do you compare a maverick A (RB75) to an D/H/G etc...? The A has a very basic TV sensor and is the first version. Doesn`t have any cooling time as compare to the ones used by A10C for example (cooling limit means that the seeker is more sensitive too as opposed to non cooled). The performance of the missiles is very different and shouldn`t be compared. But for the A10C and Viggen as it stands, the ranges are reliable. Nothing wrong there.

I don't.

I compare the stats of A, B and G.

Even when a B has resolution 2x compared to A, those don't perform at all as people think.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

... when i got target locked through my TGP, then switch soi to my MAV screen, 3 miles from target i don't even see it on maverick screen..Please, does anybody know if it is bug, or something on my end?

It's a bug, the target should have contrast against the background and be visible on the MAV display. The MAV sensor 'locks' using contrast - no contrast = no lock.

DCS has always had poorer contrast than the real -

attachment.php?attachmentid=164376&stc=1&d=1497711164

attachment.php?attachmentid=164377&stc=1&d=1497711164

DCS 1.2 ? was usable

attachment.php?attachmentid=164378&stc=1&d=1497711164

but the new DCS 1.5 ground textures/post processing (atmospheric haze ?), made the MAV screen all but useless. Luckly the A-10C has the TGP and DCS uses ranging and LoS, rather than 'contrast' to determine 'lock'.

Since 1.5, I only ever use the TGP to find and 'lock' MAV targets but even the TGP is degraded compared to 1.2 (and so I keep a second DCS install of 1.2, to avoid such issues/fly the A-10C as intended).

A-10_MAV_DesertStorm.JPG.d0e3f1329a230684a34a09980f2b09d1.JPG

A-10_MAV_DesertStorm_zoom.JPG.0cbf4449dd1732ef6b262e9ef0542e7a.JPG

DCS_A-10C_MAV_1_2_contrast.JPG.266123939609fc1bed0773bc6d67b199.JPG

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You don't really need to see the target in your maverick. It is hard to see through the mav sensor. In ideal cases you lock via TGP, slew mavs to that, and fire. Now when you're trying to get a lock with the mav and you notice it move when it locks up. You might have just locked terrain, building, or some other target. If it stays pretty much in the same spot you know you're good and locked.

Just a simple question:

What key combi slaves the Mav sensor to the TGP? Please

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

What key combi slaves the Mav sensor to the TGP? Please

TL: DR China Hat Forward-Long (Default is 'V', long press) slaves all sensors to the SPI

Some mission notes I made for myself (inc. reassigned key bindings) :

DCS A-10C Tutorial:

How to use the AGM-65D Maverick Cued by the Targeting Pod

Autopilot Path/Altitude [A]

Counter measures as req'ed [7 to release]

Manual mode

Disp - Dispenser Menu

chaf 002, flar 002, intv 0.75, cycl 05

Save and Return Program

DSMS Select Mavericks

Set Mavericks on RH MFCD

Use UFC to set Mav Slew to 1.0 (UFC 1, then OSB8 )

Set TGP on LH MFCD as SOI (Coolie switch left-long, Delete-long)

Boat Switch Forward to Switch IR Modes [R-Ctrl+ RH Arrow]

Find target using Slew controls (Arrow keys)

China Hat Forward-Short to change FOV (R-Shift+Up Arrow)

DMS Up/Dn to Zoom In/Out (R-Shift+POV Hat)

TMS Up-Short to cycle Area/Point track (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Up)

TMS Up-Long to set TGP as SPI generator (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Up)

HUD Bottom LH shows TGP as SPI

China Hat Forward-Long to slave all sensors to the SPI

(R-Shift+Up Arrow)

Maverick as SOI

TMS Up-Short to Lock on Mark Point

-------------------------------------

Switch between Gun, CCIP and CCRP using Master Mode button [M]

Switch Gun sights using DMS

TMS Dn-Long to Reset SPI to Steer Point (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Dn)

Optional: Find Targets with TGP

TMS-Right create Mark Point(s) for each target

'Steer PT' Selector to 'Mark'(RH Panel)

TMS Dn-Long to Reset SPI to Steer Point (R-Ctrl+POV Hat Dn)

HUD Bottom LH shows STPT as SPI

Step through Mark Points (A, B, C, etc.) with DMS Up/Dn

Releaseing Weapons when in paramaters i.e. JDAMs CCRP, etc.

Note: Mark Zero is last weapon hit/target.

Edited by Ramsay
Add default key bind

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Ok thanks for reply..on another note, should the video feed from maverick move closer to target as missile is closing on target?

Nope, Mavericks do not stream back their video to the aircraft. What you see after firing the Mav is the picture from the next Mav, still on your aircraft. If you see that picture closing in, you better look up and pull up... :smilewink:

Looking at the images, I would suggest that the Maverick hadn't been slaved to the TGP at all.

Once you gain a lock with the TGP, push TMS switch forward long, then China Hat forward long to take the Maverick out of boresight and slave it to the locked target.

It seems to me the most obvious thing was overlooked by most people that responded.

It doesn't happen automatically, and nor is it meant to.

Looking at the images, I would suggest that the Maverick hadn't been slaved to the TGP at all.

Once you gain a lock with the TGP, push TMS switch forward long, then China Hat forward long to take the Maverick out of boresight and slave it to the locked target.

It seems to me the most obvious thing was overlooked by most people that responded.

It doesn't happen automatically, and nor is it meant to.

Quote from his post:

"On pic2 you can see what my tgp sees, and on pic1 is maverick slaved to tgp"

Except the picture in the two screens is clearly entirely wrong. Where is the burning tank? Where is the target centred under the crosshairs?

He may think he's slaved the Maverick, but it is clearly the issue. The two sensors are looking at different things.

As Sherlock Holmes said "Once you eliminate the obvious". To bug hunt, the first step is to make certain you have ruled out the obvious, and this clearly didn't take place.

Except the picture in the two screens is clearly entirely wrong. Where is the burning tank? Where is the target centred under the crosshairs?

I think the burning tank is outside of FOV of the TGP, as it has definitely bigger zoom capability than the Mav. TGT is only a dot on the Mav screenshot, and clearly a truck on the TGP. My 2c only...

Quite possibly. The fact remains that it is the most likely issue.

In that situation, the clear first course of action to confirm the correct alignment would be to zoom out in the TGP to either confirm or deny the Maverick is correctly laid onto the target.

If you are seeing the correct sight picture, then you know that isn't the issue.

My point is that there is nothing at all to suggest the two sensors are even looking the same way, and without that, how can any other explanation be drawn?

It couldn't be assumed, and therefore remains the most likely cause.

The MAV display in DCS 1.5 seems to have improved since I tested it 9 months ago.

While perhaps still weaker than 1.2 @ 9nm, it seems to detect the truck mount Zu-23 at 5nm pretty well - which I'd found to be virtually invisible last time I tested.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164439&stc=1&d=1497806085

Perhaps the vehicle/texture rework for 2.5 is fixing other stuff?

TGP_MAV_contrast_test.thumb.jpg.57f4570f98d9126ca8a70d471d8f7673.jpg