Helos vs heavy SAMs - question

ScopeDope

I set up a test mission with 8 helicopters (4 x Ka50 & 4 x Mi-28 ) inbound to Anapa from out over the water. I set up an SA-11 site, HAWK site, Patriot Battery. In total 32 missiles. I gradually adjusted the skill levels involved until I finally ended up with helos at lowest skill, AA at highest.

Results? After a steady barrage, the SAMs run out of missiles after knocking out maybe half of the helicopters, and those are the ones that are dumb enough to fly in a straight line at the missile. Basically any time a helo manuevers a little bit, the missile will plunge into the water or spontaneously explode. I finally added in 4 Chapparal trucks which helped knock out maybe 1 or 2 more. In any event at least 2-4 of the helicopters make it through.

What in the world are you supposed to defend an airbase with against helicopters? They are like magical ninja's against SAM's and they don't even have terrain masking on their side.

Modern SAMs have plenty of anti-heli capability, but the way they are represented in game lacks some features that would make them dangerous.

So, to protect your high value SAMs you need to place MANPADS or other SHORAD, mobile or not, in patrols around them.

I suggest ambushes on reverse slopes or behind buildings where a, say, shkval won't see them until they fly over them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I hadn't tried either of those yet, won't the Vikhrs just outrange any of the manpads or AAA?

Not if they are out of your line of sight, until it is too late.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I set up a test mission with 8 helicopters (4 x Ka50 & 4 x Mi-28 ) inbound to Anapa from out over the water. I set up an SA-11 site, HAWK site, Patriot Battery. In total 32 missiles. I gradually adjusted the skill levels involved until I finally ended up with helos at lowest skill, AA at highest.

Results? After a steady barrage, the SAMs run out of missiles after knocking out maybe half of the helicopters, and those are the ones that are dumb enough to fly in a straight line at the missile. Basically any time a helo manuevers a little bit, the missile will plunge into the water or spontaneously explode. I finally added in 4 Chapparal trucks which helped knock out maybe 1 or 2 more. In any event at least 2-4 of the helicopters make it through.

What in the world are you supposed to defend an airbase with against helicopters? They are like magical ninja's against SAM's and they don't even have terrain masking on their side.

there are threads to assist in realistic unit and group placements for anti air..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

From a Gazelle perspective, I agree --- the big theater-level SAM's are easy to dodge, though I've always needed cover, even if it is a gentle slope.

What gets me most times when going slow (or hovering) are the main caliber tube-launched laser-guided anti-tank missiles. Those things are fast and deadly. However, (a) they cannot track well if you are moving at speed; and (b) unlike the Gazelle's 4km HOT3's, the Ka-50's Vikhir's outrange those.

So that leaves the tactical point-defense SAM's. Even in a Gazelle, I usually can defeat SA-8's without too much stress . The Tunguska, on the other hand, swats me out of the sky like I am a doped-up fly.

Multiple Tunguska's spread such that if I am facing one, my back or side is to another, set enough distance apart so that I cannot them out in quick succession from the same spot, with the whole shebang forward enough of the primary target so that I cannot just hit the primary target from a stand-off hover .... yep, that would make for interesting times.

Yeah choppers don't like Tunguska.

Tunguska is nasty.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

If you spot one feel free to drop a link. I can't find one, nor can google.

here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=29338

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.