How to complete Challange Campaign.

I have no idea how to complete the challange campaigns since some of the critical missions are performed in the pitch dark night. The illumination of the cockpit is not satisfactory, no landing lights and in bad weather the airport lights are very hard to see and with heavy crosswind how can we land the K4 while take off and landing in K4 is quite challenging even in the fair father.

I have no idea how to complete the challange campaigns since some of the critical missions are performed in the pitch dark night.

You would be correct, a lot of missions suffered this problem when DCS was patched from 1.216 to the new 1.5 and now 2.5 version, the time of day is quite different and has made it pitch black dark, when the original mission was actually in daylight, this affects missions with times of around early morning and late afternoon / evening.

A good example of this is "The city river run mission" at 5:30am in the morning it is pitch black, I would say impossible to fly through gates at 30m off the deck with 90 degree bends in river at quick successions.

These type of missions have to have their time of day or Season adjusted to get the same lighting conditions they were designed with originally.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thats part of the Challenge in "Challenge Campaign" gotta trust your instruments. You can increase the cockpit lighting with the 2 UV lights at the sides just below the canopy.

We are flying a WW2 VFR aircraft which is supposed to be flown in VMC not IMC. The instruments is not capable of this kind of flight in a Bf109 K4. Simly not rated for IMC.

Well, they're located in \Mods\aircraft\Bf-109K-4\Missions\Campaigns\ folder, so I would guess you can just open them in mission editor and change anyway you want.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Is there a way to edit mission files and change the time of day?

ART-J gave you the answer, to fix you usually advance the morning times about 30, 45 or 60 minutes forward of current setting, for evening times, retard the time by a similar amount, the adjustment time varies based on whether it being summer, winter, autumn, spring season in mission.

The issue is that in DCS v1.2 you could set a season to winter that equates to (Dec-Feb), but have a date that was in summer that equates to (June-August) for the caucusas region, so it would use the season setting of winter showing snow on ground and have lighting that staying darker later in the morning and earlier in the evening.

With DCS v1.5 and 2.5 now, the same mission would use just the date to set the season (June-August) will equate to (summer) brighter conditions, getting lighter earlier and darker later in the evening.

So the end result is with the missions you may or may not have to change the season by changing: the actual month to force it into the correct season, and / or modify the time to get the same lighting.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 1 month later...
ART-J gave you the answer, to fix you usually advance the morning times about 30, 45 or 60 minutes forward of current setting, for evening times, retard the time by a similar amount, the adjustment time varies based on whether it being summer, winter, autumn, spring season in mission.

The issue is that in DCS v1.2 you could set a season to winter that equates to (Dec-Feb), but have a date that was in summer that equates to (June-August) for the caucusas region, so it would use the season setting of winter showing snow on ground and have lighting that staying darker later in the morning and earlier in the evening.

With DCS v1.5 and 2.5 now, the same mission would use just the date to set the season (June-August) will equate to (summer) brighter conditions, getting lighter earlier and darker later in the evening.

So the end result is with the missions you may or may not have to change the season by changing: the actual month to force it into the correct season, and / or modify the time to get the same lighting.

Regards, Ian.

MadDog,

I would bet that Europa and I are in the same situation. Which is this: We now know what to do, we just don't know how to do it. I have never done anything in Mission Editor. Looked at it, and still don't know.

Could you give us a roadmap showing the steps we need to go through to change the time of day, remembering that we (at least I) are computer challenged?

It seems very strange that something this inconsequential is such a big deal. I, personally, am a little peeved at ED for not changing this, already. It's their problem. They shouldn't expect/assume all users know as much as they do.

Thanks,

VinnieJones

Edited by TWC_SLAG
typo

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

MadDog,

I would bet that Europa and I are in the same situation.

Which is this: We now know what to do, we just don't know how to do it. I have never done anything in Mission Editor. Looked at it, and still don't know.

Could you give us a roadmap showing the steps we need to go through to change the time of day, remembering that we (at least I) are computer challenged?

It seems very strange that something this inconsequential is such a big deal. I, personally, am a little peeved at ED for not changing this, already. It's their problem.

It is quite natural to be peeved as it is ED's responsibility, but due to modern updates to maps, lighting systems, weather systems and other improvements it has and will create mission wide issues that affect just about every mission ever made in some way.

It would be very difficult and is time consuming to fix all of those missions that come with past and present modules (several thousand missions all up), so it is a logistics issue, get more people to help, or stop all current production and just fix all the old stuff themselves.

Short answer is these and many other missions have already been corrected and are in game or in the pipeline to be added to the game, or are still being actively corrected, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

To edit missions yourself:

1. Open Mission Editor from DCS main page and click on big button: "Load Mission"
  2. Navigate to the correct directory for the aircrafts missions: Bf-109K-4 -> Single -> City River Run.miz and click "OK".
  3. To change mission "Time" and "Date" click on the first button on the Left side panel that looks like a piece of paper, just under the word MIS.
  4. Navigate to the panel on the right, that has the Date and Time fields available, and advance the "Time" by 30, 45 minutes on average, some times as much as 75 - 90 minutes for early morning and do the reverse for late night (Dusk).
  5. If you want to change the season set month:

• Winter = December to February

• Spring = Mid March to Mid June

• Summer = June to August

• Autumn (Fall) = Mid September to Mid October

1. To save changes, click on "FILE" from top Menu and then "Save As" and point to folder you want to save the edit mission into, if you overwrite the original, it will be replaced with the old version every time you do a DCS update, so put it in MY missions folder.

As I have already done these corrections, here they are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkx9yave4vj8ghj/DCSW%20-%20BF-109K-4%20Single%20Missions%20%28Patch%20To%20Game%29%20%28v2.5x%29.zip?dl=0

Regards, Ian.

ME-1.thumb.jpg.3ee329af6b09514d00e5e8d8afdd34da.jpg

ME-2.thumb.jpg.db320d51ea32603d8d31c625da883842.jpg

ME-3.thumb.jpg.536b2bedf252bee699afb4a75db80c10.jpg

Edited by MadDog-IC
Trying to upload screen shots

DCS Tech Support.

It is quite natural to be peeved as it is ED's responsibility, but due to modern updates to maps, lighting systems, weather systems and other improvements it has and will create mission wide issues that affect just about every mission ever made in some way.

It would be very difficult and is time consuming to fix all of those missions that come with past and present modules (several thousand missions all up), so it is a logistics issue, get more people to help, or stop all current production and just fix all the old stuff themselves.

Short answer is these and many other missions have already been corrected and are in game or in the pipeline to be added to the game, or are still being actively corrected, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

To edit missions yourself:

1. Open Mission Editor from DCS main page and click on big button: "Load Mission"
  2. Navigate to the correct directory for the aircrafts missions: Bf-109K-4 -> Single -> City River Run.miz and click "OK".
  3. To change mission "Time" and "Date" click on the first button on the Left side panel that looks like a piece of paper, just under the word MIS.
  4. Navigate to the panel on the right, that has the Date and Time fields available, and advance the "Time" by 30, 45 minutes on average, some times as much as 75 - 90 minutes for early morning and do the reverse for late night (Dusk).
  5. If you want to change the season set month:

• Winter = December to February

• Spring = Mid March to Mid June

• Summer = June to August

• Autumn (Fall) = Mid September to Mid October

1. To save changes, click on "FILE" from top Menu and then "Save As" and point to folder you want to save the edit mission into, if you overwrite the original, it will be replaced with the old version every time you do a DCS update, so put it in MY missions folder.

As I have already done these corrections, here they are.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkx9yave4vj8ghj/DCSW%20-%20BF-109K-4%20Single%20Missions%20%28Patch%20To%20Game%29%20%28v2.5x%29.zip?dl=0

Regards, Ian.

MadDog,

All’s right with the world, now. Thanks. :)

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.