[REPORTED] New sounds are weak

AdmiralQuality

Hi

If you want to report a bug please attach a short track replay so we have a ref. point to compare to yours.

Also attach your dcs log from your saved games location.

Please ensure you have no unofficial modifications and run a clean up and repair.

We would also like to see a screen shot of your audio settings in DCS

thank you

Are you telling us you hear a sound different than what I posted in the videos? Or is this just your usual defense to keep you in denial?

• ED Team
Are you telling us you hear a sound different than what I posted in the videos? Or is this just your usual defense to keep you in denial?

We always ask for a track and dcs.log it may give us clues.

But yes I hear different from yours it seems, which is why I have asked.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Nick hears it.

If so, great, he is the best person to know.

I wanted to confirm you had no modification or errors in your log,

it is the first thing I do when investigating a potential bug.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If so, great, he is the best person to know.

I wanted to confirm you had no modification or errors in your log,

it is the first thing I do when investigating a potential bug.

I run a clean client. I abhor mods. I want the base-product to work well and I know I can't reliably test if I'm modded.

Are we on the same version? 2.5.5.40647?

• ED Team
I run a clean client. I abhor mods. I want the base-product to work well and I know I can't reliably test if I'm modded.

Are we on the same version? 2.5.5.40647?

Yes Current openbeta is 2.5.5.40647

And sorry, need a sleep cycle so can't reply for a while. Back in some number of hours. Cheers!

No problem, have a good one.

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Is the sound in your video normalised to 0 dB?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Just flown with the new sounds. I will say that running at low rpm is very underwhelming. The flypast sound is near perfect, the gun whistle is prominent like it should be.

Some of the engine sounds are lacking in volume.

As a side note, normal idle of piston aircraft isn't throttle closed but at about 1000-1200rpm so maybe an effect could be added to the planes where the mags can fowl with low rpm selected for extended periods.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Do you have any reference with whistle in the cockpit?

The Horsemen routine: can be heard faintly in some of the in cockpit shots:

Also, Mark Levy, the gentleman who crash landed Miss Velma at Duxford Flying Legends 2017 after an intermittent engine failure, references using the sound of the gun ports whistling to indicate approach of critical AoA:

Just flown with the new sounds. I will say that running at low rpm is very underwhelming. The flypast sound is near perfect, the gun whistle is prominent like it should be.

As a side note, normal idle of piston aircraft isn't throttle closed but at about 1000-1200rpm so maybe an effect could be added to the planes where the mags can fowl with low rpm selected for extended periods.

Actually spark plugs can foul in DCS reducing engine power/increase detonation chance, but no change in sound of the engine unfortunate nor any change in rpm drop when checking mags every time rpm drops the same amount.

Yes low idle is only used when plane is slowing down after touch down taxing and siting warming up is done above 1000rpm

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

The dynamic range between idle and TO in DCS is significantly LESS (compressed) than in RL, because it's inhuman to let people fly constantly with at least 100 dBA for hours and hours.

Idle and low rpm in RL allows to hear flypast sound very clearly, that sometimes spoiled sound recordings.

Compressing more will ruin all the sound balance (you can hear some other sounds while at idle) and will eliminate the drive you get advancing the throttle.

There is only one way to get louder idle - to have VERY LOUD full power sound.

And no, the normal idle is not 1000-1200 rpm. Normal idle is 500-600 rpm, though 1000-1200 is directed for warm-up and usually for taxiing.

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The dynamic range between idle and TO in DCS is significantly LESS (compressed) than in RL, because it's inhuman to let people fly constantly with at least 100 dBA for hours and hours.

Idle and low rpm in RL allows to hear flypast sound very clearly, that sometimes spoiled sound recordings.

Compressing more will ruin all the sound balance (you can hear some other sounds while at idle) and will eliminate the drive you get advancing the throttle.

And no, the normal idle is not 1000-1200 rpm. Normal idle is 500-600 rpm, though 1000-1200 is directed for warm-up and usually for taxiing.

Option called Hardcore Simmers (+30dB to engine sound) should be introduced:)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Is the sound in your video normalised to 0 dB?

No, video is completely unprocessed. Captured with NVidia Overlay (Shadowplay). All other sounds in DCS sound normal to me.

Here's my volume settings. (Is "switches" new? I don't remember that one and it seems to be scaled differently than all the others. Is that from the new Voice Chat, maybe?)

(And yes, obviously we can't have real world dynamic range. At any volume this sound would seem buzzy, regular and lacking low-end though.)

Screen_191207_164703.thumb.png.94c1805a6c1bf94a3025384821908085.png

This. This is already modelled pretty well in my opinion. Spit and Mustang. I encourage all of you if you can to fire up to idle and crank up the volume until the idle sounds as loud and meaty as you can get it. This, done on a decent amp/speakers combo, preferably with a sub, sounds utterly fantastic. However T/O power then becomes so insanely loud you have to turn it down, unless you live miles from anyone else. It’s superb. Very nice job. The sound really comes alive when cranked up. No headphones could re-create it, you need air movement from big drivers :)

The sound in DCS is one of its best features, I've generally been very impressed with it. (And I write DSP code for a living.)

Remember that the Mustang is one of the planes that sells this sim to newcomers. So if it sounds weak and puny that's a potential turn-off. I'd just like to see it rolled back to how it was 2 updates ago. I can't quite understand why effort is being put in to re-doing stuff that was perfectly acceptable (in fact, quite good) before.

• ED Team
No, video is completely unprocessed. Captured with NVidia Overlay (Shadowplay). All other sounds in DCS sound normal to me.

Here's my volume settings. (Is "switches" new? I don't remember that one and it seems to be scaled differently than all the others. Is that from the new Voice Chat, maybe?)

(And yes, obviously we can't have real world dynamic range. At any volume this sound would seem buzzy, regular and lacking low-end though.)

Of course, I do not know what is amplification level from the output of your sound card to the video recorder input, but I obviously see that even if I turn Youtube slider to max, the engine sound is much weaker that it should be. It is much weaker than music I listen from the same youtube having the youtube slider at max (very loud! I prefer not to crank it up this way usually).

THe known effect of the sound level to the ear frequency response is well known. Should I tell more?

Hey all, Nick will be in the Moscow office this week, and will work on the sounds with btd there, improvements will be made, thanks for the report guys!

Cool, will he also put a boot in the booty to get more ww2 content out the door quicker?:thumbup:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Of course, I do not know what is amplification level from the output of your sound card to the video recorder input, but I obviously see that even if I turn Youtube slider to max, the engine sound is much weaker that it should be. It is much weaker than music I listen from the same youtube having the youtube slider at max (very loud! I prefer not to crank it up this way usually).

THe known effect of the sound level to the ear frequency response is well known. Should I tell more?

I keep my DCS volumes set to a level where SRS has enough headroom to mix with them and be heard over the din. And DCS is loud enough for me that the sonic booms still scare me out of my seat. ;) Any louder and I'd be risking hearing damage (or clipping -- though I assume DCS has some kind of limiter as the output never seems to clip). I fly with high quality wireless headphones that I use for music production.

And yes, I'm very familiar with the effect of volume on perceived frequency curves. But again, the current engine sound would seem "thin" at any volume. Just compare it to what it was before. (I don't have enough drive space at the moment to have another copy of DCS installed or I'd provide an A/B comparison. I believe the current Stable version uses the old sounds though so if you want to compare, listen to that.)

And everything else in DCS sounds normal to me, only the Mustang is standing out as having changed. (And I'm aware the Spit sounds have changed too. No complaints there, though I haven't tested it in this latest OB release yet. Will ASAP.)

Edited by AdmiralQuality

The Spit sounds great now. Wasn't bad before but is really nice now. Throaty, deep, irregular at low RPM -- opposite of the new Mustang sounds. Sounds right inside and out, and with cockpit open or closed. Has a nice mechanical tone to it when the cockpit is closed. The only thing I'd suggest is giving the backfire sound a bit of "environment". Right now it sounds a little dry, like it's coming from nowhere. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing, really great work!

(P.S. Could we get the exhaust flames back? They disappeared a few months ago after their positions got messed up in an update. There was one more update with the positions tweaked and they were still wrong. Then they just disappeared completely. Was a super cool effect!)

• ED Team

(P.S. Could we get the exhaust flames back? They disappeared a few months ago after their positions got messed up in an update. There was one more update with the positions tweaked and they were still wrong. Then they just disappeared completely. Was a super cool effect!)

Proper exhaust effects for all warbirds are being worked on, something I have been personally waiting for for a long time.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Proper exhaust effects for all warbirds are being worked on, something I have been personally waiting for for a long time.

Cool, thanks.

I got a friend who's into motorcycles interested in DCS the other day by showing him the startup procedure for the Spit. Would have been even better with some flames. ;)