F18 Keybinds after 07/18/18 Update

=4c=Nikola

same

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Think I found a solution.

First of all, I want to thank you, abelian! It is a great find!

Your solution is almost perfect. A small addition is that device numbers after 37 also changed, they moved up by 1, i.e. RWR number of 54 changed to 53. I can't tell right now which commands are affected besides HOTAS.

Module is in extensive development and such things could happen. I want to apologize, this particular case is my omission.

It's not an issue that should be fixed.

During development stuff changes which affects config files, and this means the existing ones have to be replaced. Attempting to merge a user's custom configs with new ones (either during the update or manually) is prone to errors, which would make identifying actual problems much more difficult.

Best advice is to leave controller default as much as possible, and do the remapping (both keybinding and curves etc.) in the respective profiling software. Takes a bit of effort, but is far more robust.

Actually it is an issue that needs to be fixed. The very post that describes the fix, clearly reveals it as typing error on part of a programmer.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

First of all, I want to thank you, abelian! It is a great find!

Your solution is almost perfect. A small addition is that device numbers after 37 also changed, they moved up by 1, i.e. RWR number of 54 changed to 53. I can't tell right now which commands are affected besides HOTAS.

Module is in extensive development and such things could happen. I want to apologize, this particular case is my omission.

Will give this a try later this evening. Always good to see constructive input from the community! :thumbup:

EDIT: Fix worked fine. Only problem for me now the dreaded CTD. I'm sure it's unrelated to this fix though. Thanks abelian!

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Wasn't the introduction of LUA.DIFF files supposed to eliminate this type of issue?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The reason the Key Bindings were reset is because Items were added and Key ID's were changed.

This is Early Access, so expect things like this to happen when major function keys are added.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for clarifying. The changes must be deeper inside as in the default.lua (joystick) the only change was the addition of these:

--NightVision
{combos = {{key = 'H', reformers = {'RShift'}}}           , down    = iCommandViewNightVisionGogglesOn   , name = _('Toggle goggles')   , category = _('Sensors')},
{combos = {{key = 'H', reformers = {'RShift','RCtrl'}}}, pressed = iCommandPlane_Helmet_Brightess_Up  , name = _('Gain goggles up')  , category = _('Sensors')},
{combos = {{key = 'H', reformers = {'RShift','RAlt'}}} , pressed = iCommandPlane_Helmet_Brightess_Down, name = _('Gain goggles down'), category = _('Sensors')},

So for example the ATC button mapping got removed:

{    down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_ATC,                                up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_ATC,                                cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('ATC Engage/Disengage Switch'),                    category = {_('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},

In my build 411 diff my mapping was:

["d3037pnilu3037cd[b]38[/b]vd1vpnilvu0"] = {
           ["added"] = {
               [1] = {
                   ["key"] = "JOY_BTN6",
               },
           },
           ["name"] = "ATC Engage/Disengage Switch",
       },

In the new build diff.lua after remapping (why was the last number in version omitted btw?):

["d3037pnilu3037cd[b]13[/b]vd1vpnilvu0"] = {
           ["added"] = {
               [1] = {
                   ["key"] = "JOY_BTN6",
               },
           },
           ["name"] = "ATC Engage/Disengage Switch",
       },

I see what you did there. Just the simple question is: Why? When learning how to write software, one of the first things I learned was "never change auto generated IDs by hand", at least in databases.

At least we know this is not due to any kind of bug, but internal development process. More importantly, we know when it happens again.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

For me it's fine because you guys did a brilliant job with all the bindings included right from the beginning :thumbup: I thought I were dreaming when I first fired up the module. WTG!

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Short answer is a text replace of

cd38

with

cd13

inside your joystick and throttle's diff.lua file (%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet)

More details to follow...

Edit with details:

The problem is inside of DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua, devices["HOTAS"] was assigned twice, probably a copy+paste error by a developer. The latter assignment overwrote the former, so the HOTAS was assigned the internal device ID of 38. In the new version of the file, the second one was removed (probably when someone added the NVG device and noticed that the cockpit device).

https://i.imgur.com/cGaJnTh.png

So anything assigned to the HOTAS with the old version of DCS would be assigned to cd38 ("cockpit device 38"). This also had the effect of changing other device IDs. So if there was anything assigned to devices 39 and higher, the .diff.lua profiles need to be updated to match the new device ids.

And to add... it would have made much more sense to just use device 13 for the new NVGs. Then backwards compatibility would have been maintained, there would have been no unused device id, and NVG support would still work.

Thanks!! Worked like a charm.

All this talk of device IDs is over my head, but doesn't this fix really just delay the problem? If you revert to the old ID, won't you have the same issue of losing your bindings after the next update, or after you have to do a repair for some reason? It seems like we'll eventually have to rebind the controls, unless we want to continue to do this fix after every update?

Short answer is a text replace of

cd38

with

cd13

inside your joystick and throttle's diff.lua file (%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet)

More details to follow...

Edit with details:

The problem is inside of DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua, devices["HOTAS"] was assigned twice, probably a copy+paste error by a developer. The latter assignment overwrote the former, so the HOTAS was assigned the internal device ID of 38. In the new version of the file, the second one was removed (probably when someone added the NVG device and noticed that the cockpit device).

https://i.imgur.com/cGaJnTh.png

So anything assigned to the HOTAS with the old version of DCS would be assigned to cd38 ("cockpit device 38"). This also had the effect of changing other device IDs. So if there was anything assigned to devices 39 and higher, the .diff.lua profiles need to be updated to match the new device ids.

And to add... it would have made much more sense to just use device 13 for the new NVGs. Then backwards compatibility would have been maintained, there would have been no unused device id, and NVG support would still work.

Worked perfectly, just took a few seconds to do, thanks!

You guys screwed up and deleted my F18 joystick bindings!!! What the heck are you doing???

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

All this talk of device IDs is over my head, but doesn't this fix really just delay the problem? If you revert to the old ID, won't you have the same issue of losing your bindings after the next update, or after you have to do a repair for some reason? It seems like we'll eventually have to rebind the controls, unless we want to continue to do this fix after every update?
That's what I'm thinking too which is why I just rebound everything from scratch, it only took 10 minutes. Unless they fix the device ID's in the next update so it won't happen again.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• ED Team

The problem is inside of DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua, devices["HOTAS"] was assigned twice

Yes, there was our mistake in script. Your workaround (search and engage replace 'cd38' by 'cd13') is absolutely correct. For people who are not so familiar with script editing I recommend just reassign necessary Hornet buttons - it takes 5 minuts, no more.

Good catch!

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

I had to rebind most of it. But actually, you just need to rebind the keys in the HOTAS section plus maybe some others to your liking. Doesn't take too long.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I will not remap. ED broke it ED better hotfix it ????

NineLine?

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I see a new hotfix is about to be out, but doesn't say anything specific about the bindings being fixed.

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

I will not remap. ED broke it ED better hotfix it ????

NineLine?

WOW:D

Early access? It was "bound" to happen possibly...

deploy-hotfix-make-it-so.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team
I see a new hotfix is about to be out, but doesn't say anything specific about the bindings being fixed.
Reassign several commands or edit several lines in .diff.lua. No other way.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

How to edit it? THX

One page back tifafan

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Could someone explaing better what to edit?

it's not very clear to me on page 10

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black