TRIM RESET - CHEAT CONTROL FEATURE NEEDED...

everest101

Yes, TRIM Reset for all planes (Su-25T too).

I'm not a polip, I only have two hands.

In full fidelity planes without head tracking is very unlikely I'm able to adjust the trim after the last Mk-84 drop as needed before I crash.

DCS adjust controls section can be task oriented for full fidelity planes too,

nut just the bare minimum to force MORE WORKLOAD to us: NOT simpit users.

Who have simpit not forced to use the simplicity.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

I'm not a polip, I only have two hands.

discwalker,

Well good, because this control uses your thumb!

Learning to properly trim is an essential part of aircraft control, and one of the main benefits of using a realistic flight simulator is that you have the chance to learn this real life pilot skill. You shouldn't deny yourself this experience if you can.

The Pitch and Roll trim controls should be on your HOTAS. They are on the real stick of every modern jet available in DCS. In other airplanes without HOTAS, controls the cockpit is designed to allow you to remove a hand (usually on the throttle) and manipulate the proper trim crank wheel. You shouldn't be changing power settings and trimming simultaneously anyways.

You don't need to look at the trim control to trim the airplane, in fact you should not be doing so, wherever it's located! You should be looking at instruments or out the window.

You don't need a simpit to actuate trim. It should be bound on your joystick at the bare minimum. All the expensive joysticks have dedicated Hat switches specifically for this control.

It is very important. When I get a new module, the first thing I do is bind my control axis. The second thing I do is bind my trim. Trigger and weapon release are LESS IMPORTANT than trim controls. They are bound after.

You're playing a flying game to experience the role of a pilot. Consider learning how to trim a core part of learning to fly.:pilotfly:

@OP:

I do not understand your idea:

Using your example, if you carry 2x500lbs bombs lateral lateral trim will be ~0. Dropping one of them would create mass and drag imbalance. Pressing supposed TRIM RESET button that resets all trim settings to 0 (as you've explained it) wold achieve what exactly?

If you're already trimming the aircraft after first bomb drop, why is so difficult to trim it again after second drop?

You don't understand the problem which is the overexaggerated trim sensitivity including its dependance on rendering FPS.

1 Your trim is neutral, everything is fine

2 You drop a bomb and trim to level things out - problem: You'll never nail the spot and will either roll left or right with the stick perfectly centered. As 100% of the available sticks don't have FFB and a very stiff spring instead, this clearly IS an issue

3 You drop the second bomb and have to go over all the hassle again - if you just could reset your aileron trim now to get it centered...

4 I still have an FFB stick and it's still a PITP which literally makes me not trim ailerons at all and try dropping things symmetrically if possible or try to handle the thing well enough while it's not symmetric - I've flown that other sim for more than enough years with lots of time on planes that don't have aileron trims at all to be able to do that

My 2 cents: As long as the underlying core is as stupid as it is right now, I'd 120% support the wish for that function.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

2 You drop a bomb and trim to level things out - problem: You'll never nail the spot and will either roll left or right with the stick perfectly centered. As 100% of the available sticks don't have FFB and a very stiff spring instead, this clearly IS an issue.

There are available sticks on market that has a Force Feedback and many that has no centering spring even, or extremely soft so that it stays where you leave the stick.

This clearly is NOT an issue.

The real issue that there is, is that the trim function in DCS in all aircrafts is oversensitive. Meaning you do a slightest 50 ms trim button press and the trim goes from under to over.

There should be a curvature in the trim function, so that you need to keep trim pressed longer time to start generate stronger input, like a 2 seconds or so. Otherwise you can just nicely push trim hat one tick at the time to get the aircraft perfectly trimmed by doing these nice 500-1000ms pushes to get it closer and closer to wanted position.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

NO ... NO NO NO

I agree that trimming is really sensitive, but it's still easy to do. Just trim in the "wrong" direction and keep tapping the trim until you got it in the right spot. This requires like an hour of practice.

Even if you can only get it 99% right there is always an autopilot to keep you level.

And I'm not against it because I think trimming is easy, but because it's a basic skill everybody should have.

If we start with unrealistic convenience features like that what will come next? AAR autopilot? Landing autopilot? How about automatic trim for the Ka-50 so people don't need to learn how to fly this thing any more?

Convenience features like that have no place in a sim.

Never understood why people are so against this. It should be a option/gameplay check or uncheck the box and away you go. I mean you can currently check game flight mode, game avionics, easy coms, unlimited this and that, etc. You get the point. its called accessibility and helps with people and setups that need some flexibility.

For all the No votes, just uncheck the trim reset option.

My vote is a YES! It would be nice if trim had a axis option as well.

Edited by Shepherd

So roll it into Game Flight model. No sense adding an arcade feature to the simulation FM. If you don't want a highly realistic flight model, don't use one.

Also this will possibly confuse new users. They can tell the difference between "Game" and "Simulation." They probably don't know what "Trim" is yet (same can be said for many users on the forum LOL).

Also it teaches bad habits. Learning to trim an aircraft is a good habit. Transfers to many other aircraft.

Many of us have been trimming out load asymmetry in A-10's, Su-25's, and F-5's for years.

Suddenly the F-16 drops and now this is a huge problem?????

Just use a game flight model (yes I know it's WIP).

So roll it into Game Flight model. No sense adding an arcade feature to the simulation FM. If you don't want a highly realistic flight model, don't use one.

Also this will possibly confuse new users. They can tell the difference between "Game" and "Simulation." They probably don't know what "Trim" is yet (same can be said for many users on the forum LOL).

Also it teaches bad habits. Learning to trim an aircraft is a good habit. Transfers to many other aircraft.

Many of us have been trimming out load asymmetry in A-10's, Su-25's, and F-5's for years.

Suddenly the F-16 drops and now this is a huge problem?????

Just use a game flight model (yes I know it's WIP).

Thats strange, just having the option (that can be toggled off) to reset trim in a flight sim that is operated from a desktop, non uniform devices, different rigs with differing results is going to destroy all realism of the sim. Kind of strange argument. Obviously it should not be tied into Game Flight model, the comment shows a lack of understanding of the issue.

I for one don't really need it, but sure would be a good option for those that need a little more help tackling the complexities of this flight sim and for those that have inferior equipment.

Obviously it should not be tied into Game Flight model...

Yeah, that's not really obvious at all.

Can you explain why there should be 3 different FM's, and not just 2? Or ED should program a completely fictitious, user selected, FLCS function?

Why was this never a problem for anybody in the F-5E? "Just trim it out bro" has been a long standing DCS joke....