Tuned Ground Handling - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #31
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzer View Post
Interesting video. The rolling friction in all aircraft has been questioned before. Also he noted about the torque not being as much as real life, which has also previously been brought up.
I remember posts which question way too low torque, authors were calming that rapid throttle movement should rip plane apart some ppl claimed that it is not possible to take off with full power in spit or p-51 etc etc.
I think, let it be.

Last edited by grafspee; 01-24-2020 at 04:10 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #32
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
I remember posts which question way too low torque, authors were calming that rapid throttle movement should rip plane apart some ppl claimed that it is not possible to take off with full power in spit or p-51 etc etc.
I think, let it be.
Oh yeah I'm sure people go from one extreme to the next haha
Old 01-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
msalama
Veteran

I don't think it's the torque per se, but the rudder. The 4 Horsemen Mustang team mentioned it being too sensitive and effective years ago already and I tend to agree.

As much as some folks hate curves, I use 30 on the rudder and it does help a lot. I've obviously never flown a real P-51 - and never will - but suffice it to say regardless that those 30 curves at least feel pretty convincing and the overall behaviour seems in line with the anecdotes I've heard. YMMV of course, but at least give it a try if you're not preconceived
Old 01-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #34
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
I don't think it's the torque per se, but the rudder. The 4 Horsemen Mustang team mentioned it being too sensitive and effective years ago already and I tend to agree.

As much as some folks hate curves, I use 30 on the rudder and it does help a lot. I've obviously never flown a real P-51 - and never will - but suffice it to say regardless that those 30 curves at least feel pretty convincing and the overall behaviour seems in line with the anecdotes I've heard. YMMV of course, but at least give it a try if you're not preconceived
Yes setting up rudder curves is tricky.
One thing, this pilot mentioned about modern tf-51 is that rudder trim tab was modified to not counter react rudder inputs irc, so maybe this makes this impression of difference.

Last edited by grafspee; 01-25-2020 at 07:46 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote