** DCS F-14 March Mini-Update! **

Cobra847

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for this thorough update, I am very excited for this module, looks like it will be awesome! :)

BTW, those Jester callouts in the last video are pretty cool, but not standard. May I suggest to use the brevity code whenever possible?

• SPIKE/SPIKED (direction) RWR indication of an AI threat in track or launch.

• DIRT ** RWR indication of surface threat in search mode. See MUD.

• MUD (type w/direction/range if able) 1. RWR ground threat displayed with no launch indication. 2. RWR indication of surface threat in track mode. See DIRT and SINGER.

• SINGER (type/direction) RWR indication of SAM launch.
  • SAM (direction) Visual acquisition of a SAM in flight or a SAM launch, should include position.
  • TRASHED Missile has been defeated.

E.g. how could be changed:

- "Sh*t SPIKE, close" -> "Sh*t, SPIKE, 11 o'clock, close" or "Sh*t, MUD SA-8, 11 o'clock, close" for a more updated phraseology

- "OK, we've been launched now" -> "OK, we've got a SINGER, SA-8, left 10 o'clock"

- "Missile launch, BREAK left" -> "SAM, 7 o'clock, BREAK left"

- "Missile missed" -> "Missile TRASHED"

The phraseology can be found e.g. here:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf

Hi!

We're continually trying to balance Jester to have the right mix of brevity codes and more colloquial terms. Our feedback from the SME's suggests while radio communication was more strict the internal lingo between the Pilot and RIO usually was a bit more relaxed and informal, more so the longer they've flown together, hence why we're not using strict brevity codes.

It is still a work in progress though so it might change! And feedback is of course welcome!

When jestet calls the misile and says break left, How far can he see, My example misile fired from 40nm can he see that?

I do not remember the exact current limits (which might still change), but our intent is not to make Jester a super AI-RIO so the detection ranges should equal a human player. And our intent is also still to have a good, well-trained human RIO be better than Jester.

@gyrovague Whats the A.I vision like on call outs, Example can they see launches from far a field like 30nm or act more human? We know A.I in DCS is pretty good

I think Naquaii more or less just answered a similar question asked by another person. We basically take human eye resolving power and binocular field of view into account to come up with realistic spotting distances, as well as things like amount of ambient light, target afterburner and nav lights, whether looking into the sun, or with terrain background, fog, rain etc. etc., basically more stuff than I can remember offhand right now :) The idea is to get it to be quite realistic, this might be like a Heatblur theme or tagline :)

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi!

We're continually trying to balance Jester to have the right mix of brevity codes and more colloquial terms. Our feedback from the SME's suggests while radio communication was more strict the internal lingo between the Pilot and RIO usually was a bit more relaxed and informal, more so the longer they've flown together, hence why we're not using strict brevity codes.

It is still a work in progress though so it might change! And feedback is of course welcome!

I love the way you guys are approaching it! I hope to have a human backseater of course but if I find myself in a flight without him the internal coms coming in that manner will be perfect!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I think Naquaii more or less just answered a similar question asked by another person. We basically take human eye resolving power and binocular field of view into account to come up with realistic spotting distances, as well as things like amount of ambient light, target afterburner and nav lights, whether looking into the sun, or with terrain background, fog, rain etc. etc., basically more stuff than I can remember offhand right now :) The idea is to get it to be quite realistic, this might be like a Heatblur theme or tagline :)

Thanks for your answer and taken on-board

The next update could you do one on the carrier OR how A.I works etc, In data or video?

Really interested in how the A.I RIO works. :thumbup::thumbup:

I liked what Jester called and it sure had some surprising immersion to it.

I only felt he was a little, like if my wingman called stuff that exited all the time, I would probably tell him to chill a bit. :D

If there is an sa15 in your face a popup flanker on your six etc. its understandable to get panicked. But in this case here from what I saw was a pretty routine popup bombing run with nothing too dangerous [looked like it at least]. Its obviously just sneak peak with 4 lines, so I wont read to much into my feedback, but since you asked for it, here it is ! :)

EDIT: I feel it otherwise kinda looses dynamic range. If jester gets spooked by a shilka spiking you while your in a mach 1.1 pullup or something, then there isnt much panick head room left for seriously bad things and since tone of voice is pretty big non worded information transport...

Great stuff overall !

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Thanks a lot for this thorough update, I am very excited for this module, looks like it will be awesome! :)

BTW, those Jester callouts in the last video are pretty cool, but not standard. May I suggest to use the brevity code whenever possible?

• SPIKE/SPIKED (direction) RWR indication of an AI threat in track or launch.

• DIRT ** RWR indication of surface threat in search mode. See MUD.

• MUD (type w/direction/range if able) 1. RWR ground threat displayed with no launch indication. 2. RWR indication of surface threat in track mode. See DIRT and SINGER.

• SINGER (type/direction) RWR indication of SAM launch.
  • SAM (direction) Visual acquisition of a SAM in flight or a SAM launch, should include position.
  • TRASHED Missile has been defeated.

E.g. how could be changed:

- "Sh*t SPIKE, close" -> "Sh*t, SPIKE, 11 o'clock, close" or "Sh*t, MUD SA-8, 11 o'clock, close" for a more updated phraseology

- "OK, we've been launched now" -> "OK, we've got a SINGER, SA-8, left 10 o'clock"

- "Missile launch, BREAK left" -> "SAM, 7 o'clock, BREAK left"

- "Missile missed" -> "Missile TRASHED"

The phraseology can be found e.g. here:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf

I can add to Naquaii's response that all of the above are implemented in the dev branch since a while back ;)

/Daniel

Heatblur Simulations

Great news!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Awesome update HB, and really motivates me to keep working on my module i'm creating. Great inspiration you guys are.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Director | Team Coordinator

PC Specs:

• Intel I7 8700k 4.7Ghz
  • Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 Motherboard
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz Ram
  • 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD

i prefer a good, radom mixture of formal and buddy like lingo. Its about getting closer to a real human relationship that strives on diversity instead of being perfectly right on every shout out. On ther other,...remember, Jester is probably only the first iteration and testbed of years of advancing copilot, ATC, tanker or JTAC ai. I am sure ED is delightfully keeping an eye on this aspect of HBs F-14 project. Always good to share core tech to make the whole sandbox flourish!

^ +1

Lets hope that all dcs radio talk gets bit ”life” , now other flights sound like robots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi!

In that case, please get a “We’ve been painted!” (Owen Wilson) line in there.

Hi!

I would rather have a more realistic and colloquial nature as a base of conversation between pilot and RIO.

It is a tight knit team in the end and that means you talk less formal.

Balance is a good thing.

In a more heated situation with multiple threats, I guess more brevity codes make sense. Brevity code were invented to give info in short and precise terms, to save valuable seconds... Still, I don't want an emotionless robot read out threats like the morning stock market news.

The little glimpse of what it currently does is already really great.

In the end one big issue coming with pre recorded voice messages is that you can only have so much variation. So what would be great, to not have it simply randomly choose between a half dozen options for the same situation so that sometimes you get the exact same "Painted by SA-3, 5 o'clock." three or four times in a row. If possible role through variations of the message and only after all(!) have been used, start over again.

As for the panicking in the voice. I personally feel even one SAM launching at me, while I am in the backseat, will definitely cause my blood pressure to raise. So I don't feel it is too much to have a certain urgency, especially in the "Break left!" command, intended to save your lives... Though I agree with the notion that overdoing the urgency and panicking is a possibility.

There is a fine balance required. Just a thought:

how about taking into account a general "excitement level" that starts off "cool and relaxed" and gets raised whenever a surprise or near death happens... For example, popping up for a bombing run vs. high altitude cruise raises the "excitement level" 1 point.

Getting painted by a radar another point and each missile fired another one. Yet an IR SAM fired at short range may raise the excitement level by 3-4 points, as well as getting hit etc.

You can now "relax" the level one point every 30 seconds.

Now, every time we have Jester talking to us, the "excitement level" determines which voice over to use from "cool and relaxed" to "we all gonna die! PANIC!!!" style nuances.

What do you think?

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)