Hook simulation

mdee

Oh, definitely no... just mess up the touch down point and you bounce over the wires. There will be the time where you get your fist bolter.

Especially if you start training a precise CASE I approach. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Oh, definitely no... just mess up the touch down point and you bounce over the wires. There will be the time where you get your fist bolter.

Especially if you start training a precise CASE I approach. ;)

I can fly precise approaches, it's not a rocket science. Lot's of people don't do it and still land fine, that's why I asked. As I said, I rarely if ever get a bolter when setting up the plane for ridiculous AoA.

Edited by mdee

I can fly precise approaches, it's not a rocket science. Lot's of people don't do it and still land fine, that's why I asked. As I said, I rarely if ever get a bolter when setting up the plane for ridiculous AoA.
When you touch down wheels first or hit the deck very early (in front of the wires) you should get a bolter, even with perfect AoA. If you get a 3 Wire every time you land the plane with imperfect approaches, that would be strange... Keep in mind, the whole hook and trap concept is designed to catch the plane, not to test pilot skills.

Last weekend my buddy had a bolter, I had a couple of 2 or 3 bolters in a row the week before, when getting back to the boat.

From what I learned so far, if you fly the ball in a steady and straight approach you rarely get a bolter...

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I would be interested in knowing to what level hook dynamics are modeled. Specifically hook to deck interactions. There's an set of kinematics at play there. If you hit the deck with too much sink rate or at to great of angle, you can over come the hook's damper and the hook will skip. Resulting in a hook skip bolter.

There have been some studies written on both hook and wire interactions.

Hook dynamics.

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/arc/rm/2980.pdf

Wire Dynamics.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/617788.pdf

I think his point is that you can trap with pretty crazy approaches. I trapped straight from split S once, fast, not on AoA, G loaded... and I doubt that would be possible irl.
I doubt anybody ever risked his job and a multi-million-dollar plane in such a stunt. ;)

I can't say how ED/Belsimtek modeled the hook Dynamics, but I had my fair share of bolters since early access release and from the tacview I would say some definitely were bounced of the deck...

Maybe Wags or a dev can give some more insight, here?

Shagrat

I think his point is that you can trap with pretty crazy approaches. I trapped straight from split S once, fast, not on AoA, G loaded... and I doubt that would be possible irl.

Yeah, that's the point - I can't do split S trap yet, so I never mentioned it :):pilotfly: TBH I don't mind that much, it's not like I am training for real carrier operations, just curious.

Edited by mdee