[REPORTED] What happened to the trees?

Mike68

I'm sorry... I'm a HUGE Eagle Dynamics fan, but these new 2.5.5 trees look pretty awful (1st picture) when compared to 2.5.4 (2nd and 3rd pics) and I'm seeing zero performance gain on my end. Visually, this new update looks kind of disappointing in some areas. (I mentioned the degraded Hornet afterburner effect in 2.5.5 over in the Hornet thread.)

[ATTACH]211356[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]211357[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]211358[/ATTACH]

jungle allover now. . . really hope this is not the end result. trees in 2.5.4 seems very right to me regarding this, seen in 2.5.5

oh my god, is this a joke?! please ED, april fool´s time is over. . . this is looking absolutely unrealistic. . . no wait, this is looking just stupid. please, please roll back or give us the chance to choice!

You have the option to roll back any time you wish...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

from the screenshot it looks, as if one type of tree is just broken.

i don't think it is an artistic decision, but merely a bug.

the conifers look fine, it's just this one type of broadleaf that is all wonky...

Edited by twistking

from the screenshot is looks, as if one type of tree is just broken.

i don't think it is an artistic decision, but merely a bug.

the conifers look fine, it's just this one type of broadleaf that is all wonky...

Agreed. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I was thoroughly satisfied with the Trees we Had. I don't see much advantage of making them any more realistic, especially at 10,000+ feet or anything over 400 mph.

However, I have long since felt that their Scale is off a bit with regards to Height. At least when compared to some buildings or measured using Radar Altimeter in the Gazelle (which may be anything but accurate as far as I know).

SnowTiger:joystick:

Well - trees naturally have a massive impact on performance and I understand that the old ones where not performing well.

So - when I tried 2.5.5 in VR it is way more stable and has higher FPS than before. And yes - I know that the VR-performance patch is supposedly not in and I'm a glass half full guy ;) Try flying in VR and look 90 degrees left or right. Before there where microstutters when doing that. They are gone now... The trees? Well, that is for sure one part of the explanation.

And I actually like the new ones. After they straighten some branches and fix some distant LODS they will be great I think.

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Is that all still based on SpeedTree tech, or something new and different?

good question!!

:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

it s not only you. . . it´s a desaster. not very well done. if this is the price for better vr. . . hmmm. not sure, but i guess much more people then before were not very happy now. . .

i still think that the one broadleaf tree modell is broken and that it is not supposed to look that way.

in the end it boils down to geometric complexity and i can't see, how the "proper", old broadlead should be more demanding than the new skewed, funky version of it.

I guess in all fairness, I should wait until this bloody large update is finished and have a look for myself before commenting.

I am happy to hear there is a boost in performance. Performance is all that I really care about in the end.

SnowTiger:joystick:

What are your settings, I am not seeing an issue here?

I run 4x msaa and everything on high. Doing a canyon run through wooded valleys used to look crisp as hell. Now every other tree has a much high contrast, resulting that dark spots can be seen popping in the canopy everywhere and the general look is worse. See the dude that posted the reference pics. I really does not look better. Not to complain- just want what is best for the sim. I'd rather have the old ones.

tested it intensivley : new tres looks bad, the only positive thing is a big performance increase.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

From the perspective of VR helicopter flying I think they are quite bad. A lot of the fun in the Gazelle is tree top flying. They look quite fake now and the low bushes.... omg! Terrible!

But, just my opinion and in a few weeks I guess I'll forget how good the old trees were...

When viewing in 3d the difference is huge

Old...

48015610982_e8866c200d_o.pnghttp:

New....

48015532643_4417d182f1_o.png

Intel Core i7-8086k@5Ghz / Asus PrimeZ370-A

32GB DDR4 3000Mhz Mem / GTX 1080 Ti / 500GB SSD Int M2 / Samsung U28E590 4k / Oculus Rift S

tested it intensivley : new tres looks bad, the only positive thing is a big performance increase.

I'm not seeing any performance increase. I go from 60 fps at altitude to low 40's over the trees...just like before the 2.5.5 update. Glad you're seeing an increase, though. :)

Chicomick's pics above are about all one needs to see. 2.5.4 trees were better. Bring them back, please.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Did you guys erase the old shader files before running the new update? I always do as well as any time I change setting for video etc. Erasing those will make the first time you load the map take a few more seconds but then will be back to normal after the first time. You should see FPS gain after doing that.