Syrian MiG-29 now has R-77

Oceandar

http://www.defencetalk.com/syrian-mig-29-fighter-jets-performing-sorties-with-r-77-missiles-68382/

Edit : Later thinking, this is a good example how in a war situation things can get rapidly change. Hardwares are upgraded to its potential. Our Su-27 in DCS version can not carry R-77 but in real war I believe Russian would soon upgrade it to be able carry R-77. DCS is a COMBAT SIMULATION then why not give Su-27 all weapons it potentially can carry. And its same cases for the other jets I think...

Just my 2 cents gentlemen, don't take it too seriously : D

Edited by Oceandar
  • Like 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Unlike the real world, DCS is quite stale when it comes to "keeping up" with weaponry and sensors. Wish that weren't the case... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

This conversation has been going on on this forum for over 10 years now(before it was DCS). Looking at combat video and photos of BBC (Russian AF) in Syria, only aircraft seen carrying the R-77 (AA-12) has been the SU-35. Has anyone seen photos or video of these Syrian MIg-29 with the weapon loaded while in the air?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Here is a photo of it on the ground

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2922326&postcount=11549

would love to see it flying tho.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Firstly, even if some Syrian MiGs can carry R-77s, we don't know what kind of an upgrade they received and when. It could have been quite substantial.

Secondly, how far do you go with "all weapons it potentially can carry". Cause "potentially" you can put anything the airframe will lift, it's all a matter of money, time, engineering capabilities and perhaps some cooperation from the country that manufactured the weapon. MiG-21MFs in Egyptian and Iraqi service were modified to carry respectively Sidewinder and Magic missiles. Not to mention serious upgrades like the Lancer. Should the MiG-29, Su-27 etc. be able to carry those? There's no reason it couldn't be done...

Edited by lmp

Firstly, even if some Syrian MiGs can carry R-77s, we don't know what kind of an upgrade they received and when. It could have been quite substantial.

Secondly, how far do you go with "all weapons it potentially can carry". Cause "potentially" you can put anything the airframe will lift, it's all a matter of money, time, engineering capabilities and perhaps some cooperation from the country that manufactured the weapon. MiG-21MFs in Egyptian and Iraqi service were modified to carry respectively Sidewinder and Magic missiles. Not to mention serious upgrades like the Lancer. Should the MiG-29, Su-27 etc. be able to carry those? There's no reason it couldn't be done...

First, yeah that's the main problem I guess. But since Su-27 is in FC3 level. Just make it (R-77) more or less same employment as in MiG-29S should be enough, at least for me.

Second, what I mean by potentially is same level as more recent and modern avionics which are currently in service. Just like the article says, they upgraded MiG-29A close to MiG-29SM.

Cheers

Gam Zeh Ya'avor - King Salomon

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

• 5 weeks later...

Actually we do - at least there is some evidence that it concerns an upgrade to MiG-29SM standard:

http://www.migavia.ru/index.php/en/production/the-mig-29-fighters-family/mig-29sm

i.e. an upgrade level somewhere between MiG-29S and MiG-29SMT, that can be performed "on location"(I guess depending on the exact composition of the upgrade).