Afterburner Detent for F-5E Request

Azazel

Not sure if this should go in a wish list or not but I just discovered the afterburner detent for the Hornet. Looks like the F-5E has the same (fingerlifts) but there is no option (check box) in the options menu to enable them. It would be a nice feature to add to the F-5E to keep from inadvertently going into afterburner.

Edited by Azazel

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good to know. Thanks.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F5 has a toggle switch that will stop it from going into AB. It is in the controls somewhere and has a really forgettable name so I can't tell you what it is right now (Throttle limit or something). The way it works is:

The default setting is such that the F5 will go into AB, if you press the button then it will only go to MIL, press button again and you can get into AB again.

The ED should add better support to easily define the afterburner switch point on the throttle axis (per module I guess), rather than to play with the axis curvature until you hit the sweet spot for your controller. Falcon 4.0 had it.

• Like 2

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

The F5 has a toggle switch that will stop it from going into AB. It is in the controls somewhere and has a really forgettable name so I can't tell you what it is right now (Throttle limit or something). The way it works is:

The default setting is such that the F5 will go into AB, if you press the button then it will only go to MIL, press button again and you can get into AB again.

I agree, and I use it extensively. I can't remember what is its specific name under control settings, but if you read the manual it is clearly explained.

called "throttle range"

it would be better if it was a momentary push type switch like on the fa-18 to create a one-way gate effect, since if the ultimate intent is to give artificial feedback to controllers that lack feedback, then having to mentally keep track of the switch state (or checking the fuel flow) is not much of a difference than not having the switch at all.

Outstanding! If the F-5E requires the finger lifts to be raised in order for the engines to get to afterburner then I'm very much in favor of this feature being implemented.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...
Eventually, we will try to do this option similar between F-5 and F-18 as much, as we can. Also, we have plans to add visual reminder on the controls indicator (RCtrl+Enter)

Thank you. Looking forward to this.

I wish to highlight how much I appreciate the dev popping into the thread and supporting their modules ... this is the way to go.

S!

there is already a mil- AB button map. Its called throttle range in controls.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 4 weeks later...
The ED should add better support to easily define the afterburner switch point on the throttle axis (per module I guess), rather than to play with the axis curvature until you hit the sweet spot for your controller. Falcon 4.0 had it.

Jane's sims had that in 1994 when calibrating the throttle axis when most people probably just had a Gravis Analog and not the Pro one which sported a throttle and 4 instead of just 2 buttons. They should even run quite well on your rig (love those specs) rdlaugh.png

But let's not talk about other products from the past here too much, just take an idea from them to make DCS even better twilightsmile.png

ED really has to do a little work in the axis section still. Just one more example: We can have a deadzone at the beginning and Sat X and Y. What's missing is a deadzone at the end of an axis. I for one had the idea to just scale the throttle with a deadzone at the end so that basically it would be at full mil when being firewalled and I'd just bind a button to increase thrust to get the rest out of it, or bind a second axis that just covers the range of the AB. It's not possible to cut off at the top end. But on the other hoof I can cut off something at the low end of the throttle range and I'm glad to be at least able to do so as the Hornet, the Harrier and the Viggen have dead ends in the idle zone before the throttle even starts moving.

Edited by Eldur
  • Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am using a small macro on Joystick Gremlin on the pinkie button on my throttle, I use it for a few macros so another one won't hurt. For those who want how to make it work:

On your button of choise create two basic macros. Both will be 3 actions:

- vJoy Button "x" - pressed

- Pause for 0.05s

- vJoy Button "x" - released

The first will have a joystick condition:

- activate if (the button you are using) is pressed

The second will have a action condition:

- activate when this (virtual) button is released

Just assign the vjoy "x" button you are using on the macro in game for " throttle range". You also need this button assigned to something else, because you need to press it once on every new plane since the game start with the full range enabled.

It will work exactly like the hornet after that :)

• 10 months later...

I recently fiddled around with the Warthog Throttle Detent, to make it a push-through. Together with the curves posted above by MTF DarkEagle, it works like a charm,

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

• 2 years later...