PzKpfw-VI Ausf. E Tiger I Pics in Weekend Update

Captain Orso

There are some pics on this site http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-VI_Tiger.php under Operational Gallery on which the rear sprocket hub can be seen quite clearl.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

these modellers are not amateurs who have trouble modelling a milk bottle, and they don't eyeball the stuff off arbitrary angles, and even if they do, they almost certainly have a stronger education in eyeballing than you.

I would say the same, but abysmal windscreen and front fuselage modelling errors in Fw-190 and F-86 after release (discussed ad nauseam and partially fixed later) indicate these guys are not superhumans after all :D. I'm not all that much bothered by it nowadays, but I guess I can see where OP comes from, so a bit of additional research we're doing here won't do any harm.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I would say the same, but abysmal windscreen and front fuselage modelling errors in Fw-190 and F-86 after release (discussed ad nauseam and partially fixed later) indicate these guys are not superhumans after all :D. I'm not all that much bothered by it nowadays, but I guess I can see where OP comes from, so a bit of additional research we're doing here won't do any harm.
You're right and I'm one of the person who started threads about that. Still Dora has mayor flaws regarding volumes and forms I gave up time ago on trying to point out, even though some details were fixed after all. But, something somebody said back then (may be Sithspawn) is also plain truth, they are professional modellers but they don't live and breath the subject all the time of their lives, so what is clearly flawed and out of shape for me having my model maker eyeball quite developed after working and having in my hands a real 3D model since my childhood, not to mention the picture comparing we do all the time, is not necessarily so easy for them. That being said, IMHO a tank is a quite easier model to eyeball than aircraft, although rounded shaped tanks may be harder to get correctly.

Anyway, here with the Tiger, I don't see so mayor flaws. As somebody pointed out it's a mix in early and late features, but still quite correct model just representing a certain date. The last Tiger picture is enlightening (good old red 131 at Bovington, I've stood up right next to it :smartass:), it shows clearly how ED model isn't incorrect after all, at least for the wheel hub.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Just a heads-up. In the latest DCS World Weekend Update - 14 October 2016 Post# 53 post the pictures of the Tiger I's are missing their drive wheels in the rear, or at least their hubs are not protruding out far enough. They should be visible from at least the shallow angle shot.

Vimoutiers_%28Orne-France%29_-_Char_Tigre_allemand.jpg

Also, the road wheels are a bit too larger, or at least too narrowly spaced. The hubs of the inner road wheels should protrude between the outer road wheels; see the above comparison pictures.

You do realize the outer road wheels are not fitted in the photo.

In short: You wouldn't see the rear wheel hub from said angle on the early to mid war variants of the Tiger, but you would see it on the late war variants where the outer roadwheels were eliminated.
Hence after four thread pages we discover DCS model is right since it's using old double wheels despite depicting some later production features. Nice :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Hence after four thread pages we discover DCS model is right since it's using old double wheels despite depicting some later production features. Nice :lol:.

S!

Yeah, because it's MID-production Tiger, not early or late...That was noted several times in first page. :smilewink:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a video of Tiger 131 at Bovington

131 is an early production series, which can be noted through the wheels and the turret cupola.

Because the Tiger rolls past the camera in different shots, it shows the tracks and wheels at a wide range of viewing angles, so you can see at what angles the rear sprocket hub appears and disappears.

Note that all the road wheels are mounted on the 131 in the video, which actually makes no difference, because at a shallow enough angel the rear sprocket hub disappears behind the last middle-row road wheel (there are three rows of wheels), and not the last outer-row road wheel, which is more than a half of a wheels diameter further forward.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Whatever, don't think this thread was useless anyway, I have a Tiger I early model in the stash and all this discussion was very informative :lol: :thumbup: .

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

Yeah, because it's MID-production Tiger, not early or late...That was noted several times in first page. :smilewink:
I noticed your comments, good one :thumbup: . Are you a tank modeller? Not everybody knows about that kind of stuff.

S!

They're not missing, they weren't there on the later models which used all steel road wheels.

tumblr_m5y1c1BrDd1qg5z8jo2_1280.jpg

In short: You wouldn't see the rear wheel hub from said angle on the early to mid war variants of the Tiger, but you would see it on the late war variants where the outer roadwheels were eliminated.

S!

The DCS-Tiger is a mid-serice (1944) production, since it has the non-steal road wheels and the smaller turret cupola.

Whether the outer row of road wheels are mounted or not makes no difference, because the view to the rear sprocket is blocked by the last middle row road wheel with or without the outer row of road wheels.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I noticed your comments, good one :thumbup: . Are you a tank modeller? Not everybody knows about that kind of stuff.

S!

Modeller yes and big time Tiger nut too :) Albeit Tiger 2 is my favourite...

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With all due respect for the fellow pilots opinions and wishes, I think we should keep in mind that developer resources are precious and we probably have more important issues to deal with. From the sim I could not see the difference unless I were grounded just a few meters away from the beast. For me, the tiger could look like a teddy bear if the developers could make an aircraft 2 km's away realistically visible on my PC's screen.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 4 weeks later...