Caging unreliable for bombing

Scrim

Every time I attempt to divebomb according to what the manual says, I find that the caging, or rather, the uncaging doesn't take effect until the distance is very short (below 4000 feet). I hold down the button before diving in on the target, but it is not until below ~4000 feet that uncaging the sight actually seems to have any effect. At higher altitudes, it just seems to be stuck in the calculation phase indefinitely, and thus any sort of divebombing using the sight is completely out of the picture.

I think he's referring to using the light coloured mechanism to the left of the sight. Flipping that one to the degrees I'll be diving and following the manual from the uncaging step works great for me.

I dropped 30 bombs in automatic mode with great success yesterday. But today, on my friends server, it was impossible to release in automatic. No clue what I did wrong, I tested lots of angles, speeds and switches. Nothing seemed to work.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

So how does one get this "Auto" bombing mode top work ? ... I though the only semi automated mode was associated with the LABS system ?

Good question IvanK- hopefully some videos or manuals will help us work it out (personally I've only got the LABS 4G pull up over the shoulder auto release to work)

Let's hope for a nice video tutorial from Furia or Wags :)

I am getting pretty desperate, so any fact about the systems modelled would help :)

Hope so! Been trying and trying to figure out bombing. Auto release procedure seems simple enough but it just doesn't seem to work.

LABS does work, but trying to be accurate is crazy.

Edit: Anyone else used AI wingman? They are deadly bombers, ran a mission 3 times and they never miss with a bomb.

Edited by txmtb
Additions

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Good question IvanK- hopefully some videos or manuals will help us work it out (personally I've only got the LABS 4G pull up over the shoulder auto release to work)

The LABS uses a different release mechanism, not the one on the bomb panel.

Bombing in the F-86 is done by diving - preferable at higher than 45° angle.

So it´s important to start from a rather high altitude.

Setup bomb modes

Mechanical uncage the sight

Before diving - press and hold the electrical cage button.

Throttle back and set speed brakes

Start the dive and with the electrical cage button pressed, place the pipper on the target.

When the pipper is placed on the target - release the electrical cage button.

Press and hold the weapon release button while still keep a steady dive with the pipper on the target.

The bomb will now be released. At dive angles around 45-50° release will occur somewhere around 5000-6000 ft.

Recover.

Try starting from 20.000 ft. This gives You ample of time to setup dive and aim.

FinnJ

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Thanx! Very helpful!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Still having issues getting release. I've had a few now, but the release parameters seem to be so incredibly narrow that you're better of using manual release. The demands for a release in automatic doesn't really seem to be on level with any added precision compared to manual release.

Still having issues getting release. I've had a few now, but the release parameters seem to be so incredibly narrow that you're better of using manual release. The demands for a release in automatic doesn't really seem to be on level with any added precision compared to manual release.

What do you mean with that? I managed to release between -30° and -70° of pitch without any problem. Just make sure that you release the electrical caging just when your pipper is over the target and start holding the weapon release button down before that.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I´m not sure, but I think it also cancels release if Your getting within unsafe release parameters, i.e Your too fast to recover and get away from the blast.

Try to use the Fuse delay switch for the bombs.

Slow down and apply speedbrakes before the dive and don´t forget to throttle back to idle.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I don't think so. One of the few automatic releases I've done so far was flying NOE, which resulted in, eh, a less than 1 winged recovery.

I'm struggling to find any virtue in using automatic release, or even the A4 gunsight calculating a release point. Using the manual piper depression has resulted in bomb drops at least as accurate as those the A4 sight calculates.

Edited by Scrim