Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nevermind, after a while I managed to assign the correct axis.

however it's just like I remember. shaky and unstable. if i apply filters, its the same, but shaking slowly and smoothly lol.

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

nevermind, after a while I managed to assign the correct axis.

however it's just like I remember. shaky and unstable. if i apply filters, its the same, but shaking slowly and smoothly lol.

I gave up on this. A brilliant idea, nevertheless. Freetrack is good but at the moment is not supported for x64.:(

Windows 8.1 x64|Cooler Master HAF 932|Intel i7 4790K @4.7GHz|ASRock Extreme 6 AC|Corsair H105|16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence @2133MHz|EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB|Samsung XP941 M.2 250GB SSD|WD 1T Black HD|Corsair HX850|TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedal |TrackIR 5|Volair Sim Cockpit|3X27" Asus VN279QL @5760X1080|Acer T230H @1920X1080

I installed the facetracknoir,IPP534,vscredist x86,and when i run the facetracknoir i get this message,''No DLLs were found on the waterfall procedures''.Any idea what's wrong?

fael, what are your filter settings?

I tried all settings possible. spend last night playing with settings and nothing.

first i disabled all kinds of smoothing and filtering, to get faster response and be able to setup my curves. after I was satisfied with curves, I started playing with filter and smoothing. after a few hours trying to do the impossible, I realized that filtering and smoothing doesn't help at all, only makes camera response to your head movement smoother, but hell slower, thus more difficult to control, and less intuitive. it doesn't help at all, when you try to keep your head steady looking to a certain instrument, instead it makes it more difficult.

without filtering, you can actually know what you're doing, for example, you move your head to the correct place. as you move your head, you see the camera response, and you instantly know if you have to move it some more to reach the place where you want, or not. the only problem is that camera keeps shaking because ftnoir captures your head's minimal movements. however filters doesnt eliminate the minimal shaking, they just make them slower and smoother, but they are still there, and bigger. you'll have slow response, you'll have to move your head, wait until camera moves less (because it will never stop) and then move your head again, until you find the place you actually want to look at, (of course, that in seconds, but you do it) and when you stop your head from moving, camera will rotate and shake in slow motion, because of the filters.

but Wim said he's developing a system to keep the camera steady where you want to look at. lets hope he can come up with something cool.

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Well, for me filtering helped a lot in allowing to keep the view steady... it isn't entirely intuitive for me yet, hence why i start feeling dizzy after a while, but it sure is better than with lower filter settings...

to each his own, i guess.

Improvements tho... hell yes, i'll take what i can get, and i'm sure the people behind this will come up with something clever.

Well, for me filtering helped a lot in allowing to keep the view steady... it isn't entirely intuitive for me yet, hence why i start feeling dizzy after a while, but it sure is better than with lower filter settings...

to each his own, i guess.

Improvements tho... hell yes, i'll take what i can get, and i'm sure the people behind this will come up with something clever.

well, playing with filtering sure "helps", but doesnt fix the problem. I gave many suggestions to Wim to fix this prob, hope some of them can be of any use.

cheers!

Rafael

How is facetrack compared to freetrack, has anyone tried both?

I'm trying freetrack AGAIN today, with my new clip, but having tested both many times before I'd say it's about the same, except facetrack is much more sensitive to micro head movements. both aren't useable IMO

Rafael

I'm trying freetrack AGAIN today, with my new clip, but having tested both many times before I'd say it's about the same, except facetrack is much more sensitive to micro head movements. both aren't useable IMO

Why isn't freetrack working for you?

It works, just not stable enough for you to have fast response, smooth movements, and be able to keep the camera steady while you're looking to a point other than the center.

also, I have to play in total and absolute darkness, otherwise it loses track of my clip from time to time, and depending on the angle. and I don't want to break yet another camera trying to remove the IR filter to use IR leds, for a software that doesnt work like I wanted it to, and also a method that you can't be sure it will keep it tracking IR lights all the time.

Rafael

IR leds and no IR filter is the way to go, and a piece of magnetic disk from a floppy disk. This is a really good visible light filter, I can point a flashlight directly into my webcam, and it doesn't lose track of the IR leds. Set exporsure as low as posible, it makes the webcam alot more responsive. Facetrack must also have ambient light problems, does it?

Edited by svedan

facetrack has no ambient light problems. I have my camera pointing to my face, and 3 light bulbs in the background, they dont affect it. facetrack api look for a face pattern, has nothing to do with lights. works like motion tracking softwares used in the movies industry

about removing the IR filter, I'm not doing it again. I broke a microsoft lifecam trying to do that lol... now all it does is to output image in green/magenta. not tones of green/mag, only these two colours. and I didn't do anything besides removing the filter.

now i bought a ps3 eyecam for the fps, paid my eyes for it, and took 3 months to arrive. not gonna break another cam, for a lame led points tracking software, that will not work much better than face tracking. can't afford it...

and yes, I've been trhough it all, crafted my 3 point clip, did filters with floppy disks, I even got it working stable once, but the tracking in game is as shaky as facetrack. filters equally bad aswell. then tried to removed IR filter to see if I would get any improvements and broke it.

at least facetrack developement is not dead like freetrack, and Wim really accept suggestions for its developement.

Edited by fael097

Rafael

facetrack has no ambient light problems. I have my camera pointing to my face, and 3 light bulbs in the background, they dont affect it.

Well I meant that if you have low ambient light in the room, my 20$ webcam goes down to like to 10fps when its darker in my room. Do you need a good webcam for facetrack?

Edited by svedan

Well I meant that if you have low ambient light in the room, my 20$ webcam goes down to like to 10fps when its darker in my room. Do you need a good webcam for facetrack?

well, as I mentioned, I bought a ps3 eyecam for trying out tracking softwares. It's as good as steady 30fps @ 640x480, and low light don't, or barely affect fps. most of the time, the screen light is enough to capture my face. the camera also has a blue and a red led, that might help.

it's as cheap as $30-$40, but I had to import it, cuz in my country it's expensive as ##!@, so I paid a little extra for shipping/taxes, and had to wait a lot. still half the price if I would buy in here :P

Rafael

I installed the facetracknoir,IPP534,vscredist x86,and when i run the facetracknoir i get this message,''No DLLs were found on the waterfall procedures''.Any idea what's wrong?

Nobody with the same problem with me?

can someone who has had success with facetrack post up some settings (v1.5)? my view bounces around erratically making it impossible to flip switches and such. I've tried with more smoothing (up to 40) but all that does is add input lag on top of the bouncing

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

actually I just recently started messing with those settings, and with the min at 70-80 I did see an improvement.

I will try setting the max and the curve to around 90 as well. Thanks for the advice!

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

Interface for FaceTrackNoIR and FreeTrack released!

OK guys and girls,

It took me a while to get some test-results and I have spent a well-deserved vacation in the sun, but now the time has come to release the interface-DLL's for using ED-games with FaceTrackNoIR (and FreeTrack too). smartass.gif

I have uploaded the two versions (32-bit and 64-bit) here, for all to get. Both versions were successfully tested by a few users. I also uploaded a small video of the 32-bit version to youtube:

Any feedback is appreciated. O, right, the instructions are in the ZIP-files, but it's quite easy:

1. download the right ZIP-file, containing the DLL;
  2. extract the entire ZIP to the 'bin' folder of the game (the files are in a folder 'headtracker', the game searches this);
  3. start FaceTrackNoIR, load the DCS-A10C.INI file, start face-tracking, verify and minimize;
  4. start the game (I only tried DCS A-10C);
  5. start a mission: et voila!

BTW: the headtracker interface does not show up in the Controls section and no additional settings need to be made...

Enjoy!

P.S.: I added my DCSA10C.INI-file, but had to rename it as .TXT. If you want to use it, just save it as DCSA10C.INI in the settings folder of FaceTracNoIR and load it with the profile-listbox. It's not really 'optimised', so please upload yours if you have tweaked it :thumbup:.

Readme_32bit_headtracker_ED.txt

DCS_A10C.txt

Edited by V4Friend
Added the INI-file (as TXT)
  • Like 1

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get off work to try this out.

Quick question, is it possible to still use the numpad keys for zoom in/out while using facetrack? I haven't gotten it to work

System:

Improvement?

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get off work to try this out.

Quick question, is it possible to still use the numpad keys for zoom in/out while using facetrack? I haven't gotten it to work

Hello 455,

I think that zooming with keys will not work, when the headtracker API is used, because it kind of 'overrides' all other camera-controlling input. Other games (like Wings of Prey) do this smarter: they add other input as 'offsets' to the headtracker-data.

That would be a nice 'feature request' to improve the API. When some more ideas boil up, I guess we'll have to start a separate thread for this kind of ideas?!

• Like 1