How to get Waypoint x / y for unit

OzDeaDMeaT

Hi everyone,

I am using MOOSE currently and am trying to work out how to output to the log the set of waypoints for a unit to get the x / y. Does anyone know how to do this that could show me?

CPU: i9-12900K @ 4.9Ghz

M/B: MSI MEG z690 Ace

RAM: 128GB

Video Card: MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X

VR: Varjo Aero

One way of doing it is by accessing the group template's route subtable in the mission database.

Here's an example (required field marked in red):

BASE:TraceOnOff(true)
BASE:TraceAll(true)
BASE:TraceLevel(2)

BASE:T(_DATABASE:GetGroupTemplate("[color="Red"]name of the group in ME[/color]").route) [color="Blue"]-- This will dump the group's [i][b]route[/b][/i] subtable to dcs.log[/color]

BASE:TraceOnOff(false)

Keep in mind that the route subtable is a bit tricky to navigate, but you should be able to access x and y values like this:

route.points[[color="Red"]waypoint number[/color]].y
route.points[[color="red"]waypoint number[/color]].x

I've attached an output example from a group template with 6 waypoints

Route output.lua

Edited by Hardcard

Hi

Installed Moose and run it at the begining of the mission.

Tested (both BASE:T and BASE:I) and doesn't seem to work but I might have misunderstood what it is supposed to do...

I am interested to get in game with a script the x and y coordinates of let's say waypoint 1 of a flight that was assigned a route dynamically in game (but I tested as well with a flght plan build in the ME).

Is that what we are speaking about ?

I do not see what the dcs.log has to do with that ?

Thanks

Edit: OK I see that the original message was speaking about dumping things in DCS log.

Anyway any idea about what I am looking for ?

Edited by CougarFFW04

I do not see what the dcs.log has to do with that ?

[...]

Edit: OK I see that the original message was speaking about dumping things in DCS log.

Dodged a bullet there ;)

I am interested to get in game with a script the x and y coordinates of let's say waypoint 1 of a flight that was assigned a route dynamically in game

Here's a way of doing it, although I'm not sure it'll work with dynamic waypoints (required fields marked in red, at the bottom):

local function Get_WP_Vec2(Grp_Name , WP)

if type(Grp_Name) == "string" and type(WP) == "number" and _DATABASE:GetGroupTemplate(Grp_Name) then

local Group_Template = _DATABASE:GetGroupTemplate(Grp_Name)

if Group_Template.route.points[WP] and Group_Template.route.points[WP].x and Group_Template.route.points[WP].y then

local WP_Coord = { x = Group_Template.route.points[WP].x , y = Group_Template.route.points[WP].y }

return WP_Coord
     end
  end
end

Get_WP_Vec2( "[color="red"]Name of the group in ME[/color]" , [color="Red"]waypoint number[/color] )

You can also create a custom WP table and fill it with the WP coordinates extracted from the group template (required fields marked in red):

local WP_Table = {}

if _DATABASE:GetGroupTemplate("[color="Red"]name of the group in ME[/color]") then

local Group_Template = _DATABASE:GetGroupTemplate("[color="red"]name of the group in ME[/color]")

for i , Point_Table in ipairs(Group_Template.route.points) do

local WP_Vec2 = { x = Point_Table.x , y = Point_Table.y }

WP_Table[i] = WP_Vec2
     end
  end  

[color="Blue"]-- You can use [i][b]BASE:I(WP_Table)[/b][/i] to dump WP_Table in dcs.log. Keep in mind that the waypoint numbers will be increased by 1 in the table
-- Here's a dump example:[/color]

WP_Table = {
                       [1]={ [color="blue"]-- WP 0 in ME[/color]
		     [y]=545843.86073905,
		     [x]=-311454.00582398,
                    },

[2]={ [color="blue"]-- WP 1 in ME[/color]
		     [y]=577249.58513531,
        	     [x]=-297108.18109976,
		    },

[3]={ [color="blue"]-- WP 2 in ME[/color]
		     [y]=608526.06786738,