Your favorite Fighter Pilot books?

Charly_Owl

When speaking about fighter pilots books, I loved "Fighter Pilot: The memories of legendary ace Robin Olds" and "Yeager: An Autobiography" most. About airplanes or other military stuff, one of the best books is "F-15 - Eagle Engaged" by Steve Davies and Doug Dildy and "Wild Weasel Fighter Attack: The Story of the Suppression of Enemy Air Defences" by Thomas Withington.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What did you think of "A Higher Call"?

Adam Makos has another book called "Devotion: An Epic Story of Heroism, Friendship, and Sacrifice". Korea war naval aviator perspective.

Also on the Dead Center book; I recommend this to almost everyone I know interested in Military literature. Very good read and highly underrated IMO....was a little before its time in style.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

I guess we are not really constraining itself to the spirit of the title, i.e. "Fighter Pilots"?

Not complaining, just checking before putting forward my recommendation:

"Matterhorn" -- Karl Marlantes.

The best novel about war that I have ever read. Raw, moving, and haunting. Should be required reading for anyone and everyone, from politicians to solders and everyone in between.

RAAF F-18 Fighter Pilots Books that I think a nice reads

*** Mac "SERGE" Tucker - Fighter Pilot Fighter Pilot: Mis-Adventures beyond the sound barrier with an Australian Top Gun

ep096-cover-art.jpg

Link:- https://www.amazon.com.au/Fighter-Pilot-Mis-Adventures-barrier-Australian-ebook/dp/B008N4HY0E

*** Matt Hall - The Sky Is Not The Limit: The Life of Australia's Top Gun

x400.png

Link:- https://www.amazon.com.au/Sky-Not-Limit-Life-Australias-ebook/dp/B0088NCCJS

:thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Palace Cobra and Vipers in the Storm are the best IMO. They delve into more than just the fighter pilot part of being a fighter pilot and explore the emotions, the discomfort, the hardships, and the internal struggles that many pilots are faced with on deployments to hostile parts of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions glady appreciated, thanks in advance!

Not exactly a pilot book but I'm looking to buy a really good comprehensive Military Aircraft Encyclopedia.

Most use Wikipedia for this like I have done now for years but what I want now is in book form, any suggestions?

I found this fairly cheap as well not sure how comprehensive/detailed it really is.

The World Encyclopedia of Fighters and Bombers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt9AsSBRfk2oa9gTbyAkQVCicSHzFJLgYjizcfY2U_SqgQIXHK

Link:-

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/The_World_Encyclopedia_of_Fighters_and_B.html?id=Z5EbQgAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=yFor a fathers day or Birthday presy I hope, yeah once your over 40 and married you buy your own LoLAny suggestions would be gladly appreciated thxs :thumbup:

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Recently read this:

24541397.jpg

Just finished this:

81UW5+-QwTL._SL1500_.jpg

Now reading this:

ext?w=800&h=800&hash=iTR8GnHl083WTyhnm13x6ZOZoqE%3D&ora=1%2CaFBCTXdkRmpGL2lvQUFBPQ%2CxAVta9Er0Vinkhwfjw8177yE41y87UNCVordEGXyD3u0qYrdf3K6KMDaf7CiuQtDfC8clFIzevKgQGG3D5K6K4m9fdQkj5_jIY27dA4BYBI3iSdF_NQ8

Other great books I enjoyed in the past:

Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot

Eye of the Viper

Viper Pilot (Dan Hampton)

Viper in the Storm

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

41apHha4PSL.jpg

Radar, Heat, Guns written by James Frederick, a former F-15 pilot. In my opinion it's an incredible book. Incredible detail about what it takes to be a fighter pilot and especially to fly the eagle in the 1980's. The story itself is fiction and excellent. It's one of the few books I've read twice. Highly recommend it!

https://www.amazon.com/Radar-Heat-Guns-James-Frederick-ebook/dp/B00BG920AC

Any help with this post................ https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3129852&postcount=60

I think you will find that, in a single book, comprehensive is possible but comprehensive and detailed is too much information for a single book. If you want detailed, in depth, information about a given aircraft, you will need to purchase a book specific to that aircraft.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Based on the number of times I've read it over and over, in fact the only pilot book I've done so with, my hands down favorite piloting book (not fighters) would be Robert Mason's Vietnam memoir "chickenhawk" ,it's a visceral look at being a busy pilot and after my 80s era edition wore out, my newest edition has some interesting extra info on Bob's colleagues who're featured in the book under psuedonyms

If we're talking just fighters, I can't remember the name , but on Amazon I found a Kindle book written by an Iranian tomcat pilot that was interesting

Also, mig pilot, Viktor belenkos biography!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE