Xbox / Windows TM HOTAS One

After the laughing dies down, let me preface with the fact that my budget is pretty blown with building new PC from scratch, buying Oculus Quest, and buying FA18/PG pack.

I have had the Xbox/Windows flight stick for a while (REF: https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-One-xbox/dp/B07643TW2V). Has anyone successfully mapped it to be remotely usable in a "real" sim versus Xbox Ace Combat arcade series?

I do hope to get a much better flight stick & pedal set someday, but this will have to do for now. Unless someone recommends a different model in the $100-$150ish range (without pedals). I'd *LOVE* a Warthog, but $500 isn't remotely on the radar for a long time. I've been looking at the Logitech/Saitek X Series plus some of the lower end TM's below Warthog beast.

Sage opinions or advice?

~Vol

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

With VR requiring a lot of buttons on your stick and throttle, as you need alternative zoom and mouse controls etc. I would recommend to consider at least a TM 16.000 HOTAS ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=TM16000%20hotas&language=en_US&qid=1578559501&sr=8-1 ).

Saitek is an alternative, but unless they magically fixed their built quality issues, I don't recommend them. My last personal experience with a Saitek product was not suggesting they got it right.

A good option is to use the 3 way switch as a modifier, so you can assign the hat switches and buttons more than once... This can be done either in DCS or with the TARGET Software coming with the Thrustmaster Products. A great option is to upgrade your HOTAS 16.000 with just the TM Warthog Stick to replace the stick and buy the Throttle later if required.

In the long term you should consider rudder pedals, anyway.

Hope that helps.

PS: anyway, as you have the HOTAS Flight X why don't you check what you can manage by using modifiers in DCS? So you get experience on how it works and the limitations... this can help to consider if a modifier option with the HOTAS 16.000 is an option that could work for you or you require anything else.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I am using the VKB Gladiator MkII for a stick and a Warthog throttle. The stick is very nice, has twist for rudder and it's own throttle lever. It was fine until I started doing carrier traps. For those you need very fine throttle control. But for every other use the Gladiator works great and it's under $100.