FALKLANDS MAP UPDATES - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Raz_Specter
3rd Party Developer

Default FALKLANDS MAP UPDATES

Hey All, just wanted to share some images of the Falklands map.

These are WIP images.

Thanks Specter

UPDATE AS OF 13-08-2020

Thanks Specter
Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER
Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Last edited by Raz_Specter; 08-13-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Raz_Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
QuiGon
Veteran

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
DW2020

Looking very nice!!
DW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Automan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz_Specter View Post
Hey All, just wanted to share some images of the Falklands map.

These are WIP images.

Thanks Specter
Hi Specter, nice images, but can we have an option to remove Mount Pleasant AB from the map?
I still think that this big RAF aiport sounds a bit off when all naval assets and AI ac are from '82 war...

ACER Predator Orion 9000: Windows 10 Home | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport@2666Mhz | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz
ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb Pro
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Raz_Specter
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan View Post
Hi Specter, nice images, but can we have an option to remove Mount Pleasant AB from the map?
I still think that this big RAF aiport sounds a bit off when all naval assets and AI ac are from '82 war...
Hi

Thanks for the interest in the thread, if I were delivering a 1982 map there would hardly be anything of interest. a single airfield with 4 parking slots that you cant land military jets on as the runway was too short.

Its a balancing act, trying to bring something that is functional and visually appealing for the community. We are also looking at the possibility of including (maybe at a later date) a map which doesn't have MPA shown. Although I believe you are able to remove scenery from the map through the mission editor.

This is the South Atlantic map, which can also be used for the Falkland Conflict however I personally want the map to be visually appealing to the community for the many aspects that DCS offers.

Thanks again for the interest.

Specter
Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER
Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Raz_Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
Automan

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the interest in the thread, if I were delivering a 1982 map there would hardly be anything of interest. a single airfield with 4 parking slots that you cant land military jets on as the runway was too short.

Its a balancing act, trying to bring something that is functional and visually appealing for the community. We are also looking at the possibility of including (maybe at a later date) a map which doesn't have MPA shown. Although I believe you are able to remove scenery from the map through the mission editor.

This is the South Atlantic map, which can also be used for the Falkland Conflict however I personally want the map to be visually appealing to the community for the many aspects that DCS offers.

Specter
Thanks, yes I know the reason of adding the base for a bigger spectrum of usage, but in the end I think most of the users want to fly Sea Harrier, Pucarà and MB-339 in this map

By the way, I remember the option for vehicles, ships, and aircraft to indicate the era of usage, I don't know if runways and static objects can be affected too.

ACER Predator Orion 9000: Windows 10 Home | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport@2666Mhz | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz
ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb Pro
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #7
Stratos
Veteran

Quote:
Hi

Specter
Many of us want the map for 1982 conflict, I understand your point adding Mount Pleasant, and the more the merrier, but the option to erase it completely should be there, so we can simulate a better 1982 war. Specially with the 1982 AI assets you guys are building as well.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Кош

Maybe an option to have two maps? Or make a logic-only Mount pleasant and make a prefab of its objects placeable in the mission editor?

Regarding quality, I can clearly see polygons and vertexes of the terrain - no go for 2020, hope this improves. I'm not expecting anything photoreal, just on par with Nevada or Gulf.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Captain Orso

Just from a logical standpoint if a big tile could be defined which would included Mount Pleasant AB and the area surrounding it which had post '82 buildings. Then you could use the definition of this tile as the basis for pre- and post-82. Both would have the exact same landscape edges, so one or the other could be dropped in seamlessly without issue, and the devs could put on whatever they wished each tile; the pre- having maybe just a road and a sheep pen or whatever, with post- have the airfield and it's buildings. This would prevent having to have two complete maps to install, but I don't think ED has the technology to do something like this at this time, nor if they are working on or planning to work on this or something similar.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:34 AM   #10
Zarco

Just found out about this map project, looking forward to it! Looking great.
Zarco is offline   Reply With Quote