Mig-19 hype?

Jester986

I believe the MiG-19 will be the perfect gun fighter.

Which is something I enjoy greatly.

It'll be a day one purchase for me.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, MiG-19... one of my favorite planes.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

As well as this all of them (with the exception of the MiG-19pm, IIRC) can carry A/G munitions. Though the MiG-19pm's missiles could theoretically be used like the Groms.

Nope, not theoretically. They were practically used so. Well, at least in training. ;)

Nope, not theoretically. They were practically used so. Well, at least in training. ;)

Yeah, I think of it like heaters being used in A/G. Not the same though - as that didn't even see large training use, but kinda. Both would be wholly inadaquite when it comes to actual use as weapons.

TY for correcting!

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

I must admit I initially wasn't terribly enthusiastic on the MiG-19 but with the F-4 and Mirage III being added in at some point, it's a lot more appealing. F-4, F-5, Mirage III, MiG-19 and the MiG-21, it's a pretty fine mix imho. Throw in Nike and SA-2 SAMs and we're in good shape for a ton of scenarios.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Yeah, I think of it like heaters being used in A/G. Not the same though - as that didn't even see large training use, but kinda. Both would be wholly inadaquite when it comes to actual use as weapons.

TY for correcting!

Well, you could stabilize the radar (to the plane's X axis), maybe even gyro stabilize it, not sure about that. But it was even seriously considered to be used as an actual air-to-ground ordnance (the RS-2us), but it ended up being just a training procedure to get the pilots familiar with the weapon. I think this was originally intended as a meassure for jamming environment (to be able to use the radar without proper lock), maybe our clever guys from the dev team might know a bit more about this. :thumbup:

Thank you Overstratos for very kind word, but I think is many people on this forum with much bigger knowledge like my.

Using AA missiles against ground targets generally is pointless because of very small warheads. So, yes in Warsaw Pact many airforces practicied kind of training in use these missiles against ground but only in one case: against aircraft on the ground with working engine/engines, because main weapon in these situation were IR missiles.

During state trials RS-2US had experimental episode with shooting against ground targets but this was only episode, and later experience from these trials was use to create H-66 missile. According my present knowledge RP-2U didn't had "locked beam" mode so MiG-19PM wasn't able use RS-2US this way ( aircrafts for trials were modified not standard machines ), and these missiles can be fired against ground only as unguided rockets with proximity fuze.

Later MiG-21 with RP-21 radar get "locked beam" mode but not for A-G work. Main reason was fight with heavy electronic countermeasures when radar wasn't able track targets automaticaly. Idea was very simple: pilot pointed whole aircraft against visualy visible target and he was able get distance readout.

So, early 21's could use RS-2US against ground, but this is generally pointless, small warhead ( 13 kg, like ten S-5 rockets ), only proximity fuse, and another thing: most ( about 80 % ) of MiG-21PF's and PFM's wasn't able carry and fire these missiles, theirs main weapon was R-3S. Only later export M's and MF's were able use RS-2US and R-3R simultaneously, but had H-66 as well, so use RS-2US against ground was pointless.

Summarizing, for me this story is more "urban legend" like real possibility.

• 9 months later...