DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Question: is it possible to restrict my camera limits so that I cannot place my virtual head in an impossible location? Currently, I can (and accidentally do, even when trying not to) put my virtual head in such a position that it intersects the plexiglass or one of the canopy bars. I looked through the view files, and found lines for restricting camera rotation limits and FoV, but none for restricting camera movement limits.

Okay, it looks like Server.lua contains these limits. Now for some lengthy, time-eating experimenting to figure out how far I need to restrict them in order for the head to never intersect the canopy (even under Gs).

The limits should be set like that by default. If you find a spot where it is possible to intersect with the canopy, please report with a screenshot +(ideally) a short trackfile showing the behaviour, as this is not supposed to happen and needs fixing.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team
The DCS: P-51D manual states on page 85, "If hot air is used, the Ram Air Control lever should be set to UNRAMMED FILTERED AIR to prevent cold ram air from entering the carburetor." Then, on page 86, it says: "When set to HOT AIR, the hot air door is open and warm air from the engine compartment enters the carburetor. Note, the warm air door is spring-loaded and will open automatically in case of icing or other foreign object obstruction due to the suction on the carburetor."

So, if there is icing or debris in the (carburetor or intake?), the warm air door automatically opens, and according to the previous part, whenever the warm air door is open, we should set the other lever it to unrammed filtered. Question is, how do we know whether the warm air door has automatically opened, so that we can set the other lever in the right place? Does the spring which opens the warm air door also move the warm air lever, giving us an indicator? Or do we just have to figure it out by looking at a temperature guage? If the latter, which guage? Carb temp?

If no clogging is in ram-air passage you must clog it. So the shutter closes the passage if the RAMMED/UNRAMMED lever is in UNRAMMED POSITION. Then hot air admittance can be achieved automatically if the side inlets are clogged or manually.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

My question is. What do you guys set the roll and pitch saturation x and y at? Also what about the curvature?

I have a logitech extreme 3d and set all, except saturation, to 30 but for throttle I use negative 30 for longer travel.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Just found this video.... There are 3 monitors, but what is the big orange circle on the right hand one? And is it in the game options?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQTJZTX_IMM

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90244_1.gif[/sIGPIC]Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on OCZ SSD, (AM3)AMD955BE x4 3.2GHz - GPU AMD6950 x2Gb - 16Gb Ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FerociousFrankie

Just found this video.... There are 3 monitors, but what is the big orange circle on the right hand one? And is it in the game options?

Game mode.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I've noticed when watching my tracks in slow motion that there are two different types of tracers; one's longer and thinner, the other is shorter and wider. What types of ammunition are in the belts?

PLEASE POST A SCREENSHOT! :helpsmilie:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

In the Pilot menu, will there be a way to add more Fighter Group insignia? They seem a bit limited at the moment and I'd like the 361st Fighter Group with 374th Fighter Squadron in there among others from WW2

Anyone?

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90244_1.gif[/sIGPIC]Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on OCZ SSD, (AM3)AMD955BE x4 3.2GHz - GPU AMD6950 x2Gb - 16Gb Ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FerociousFrankie

In the Pilot menu, will there be a way to add more Fighter Group insignia? They seem a bit limited at the moment and I'd like the 361st Fighter Group with 374th Fighter Squadron in there among others from WW2

Anyone?

Yes, there is a possibility to add more FS insignia.

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

What's the purpose of the fuel tank selector switch being reversed for the drop tanks? You know ... switch it left for the left main and right for the right main, but left for the right external and right for the left external. I assume that this is modelled accurately in the sim, so why did North American Aviation decide to make it this way instead of the logical left-left & right-right?

I have a quick question regarding fuel selection, I flew a 40 minute run on a starting tank of 80%. Just as I was approaching for landing my engines cut out, and I realized I was out of fuel. I crash landed and that went fine, however I completely forgot about the tank selector and was wondering if when the engines cut out, if there was any fuel left in the tanks? Or does it automatically start feeding from them when the selected one goes empty?

DCS Multiplayer Highlights Reel -

Hi! This is my first post. Weeks ago I downloaded the beta version and DCS World 1.2.0. After installing some patches (speech fix, headtracker fix), everything went well. I have to congratulate the ED team for a job well done. This is by far the best p51d sim I've ever tried.

After installing DCS World 1.2.1 and the final version of p51d, I've encountered more bugs that I can't seem to fix (headtracker, mouse pointer, failure to go back to menu, framerates, etc.) So I'll probably go back to 1.2.0 for now, until the bugs are fixed. I guess this means I'll have to deal with the left roll on take-off problem for the mean time :)

Anyway, back on topic..

Noob question: The tutorial teaches us to use 50 manifold pressure for the take-off. In real life, what is the ideal manifold pressure for normal take-off?

Follow up noob question, at what speed do you guys usually ease off the stick (return to neutral from aft position), and at what speed do you rotate?

Thank you in advance!! :)

• ED Team
Hi! This is my first post. Weeks ago I downloaded the beta version and DCS World 1.2.0. After installing some patches (speech fix, headtracker fix), everything went well. I have to congratulate the ED team for a job well done. This is by far the best p51d sim I've ever tried.

After installing DCS World 1.2.1 and the final version of p51d, I've encountered more bugs that I can't seem to fix (headtracker, mouse pointer, failure to go back to menu, framerates, etc.) So I'll probably go back to 1.2.0 for now, until the bugs are fixed. I guess this means I'll have to deal with the left roll on take-off problem for the mean time :)

Anyway, back on topic..

Noob question: The tutorial teaches us to use 50 manifold pressure for the take-off. In real life, what is the ideal manifold pressure for normal take-off?

Follow up noob question, at what speed do you guys usually ease off the stick (return to neutral from aft position), and at what speed do you rotate?

Thank you in advance!! :)

50"-55" is useful fot contemporary planes, unarmed and with 50% in the main tanks. The reason is that it more engine lifetime friendly.

Military plane requires 61". The main reason is that the more power you have at TO the sooner you get speed and get off the ground. All manuals (except one!) directed 61".

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to apply new skins to the P51? I have tried to search for links to this, but have been unsuccessful.

Also, has anyone had any performance issues since the latest patch to DCS World?, , mine seems to have gone backwards with stuttering and slowness of the program, even on the lowest settings?

Yo-Yo: Thanks for your reply. I like your callsign. That's actually my nickname in real life.

stiffstarch: I have experienced problems with the new version of DCS: World, including framerates going down. The ED team is working on the bugs right now.

I have a quick question regarding fuel selection, I flew a 40 minute run on a starting tank of 80%. Just as I was approaching for landing my engines cut out, and I realized I was out of fuel. I crash landed and that went fine, however I completely forgot about the tank selector and was wondering if when the engines cut out, if there was any fuel left in the tanks? Or does it automatically start feeding from them when the selected one goes empty?

You need to manually select a full tank. If you do it quickly enough, the engine should catch again and continue running.

Incidentally, I knew a guy I.R.L. who owned a P-51; he gave me a ride in his T-6, when I was about six years old. He was killed in his P-51 when his engine failed on landing. I cannot stress enough how much it bothers me when pilots (both real and virtual) make low approaches relying on power. You never know when you're going to lose it, so every approach should be made in such a manner that you won't fall short of the runway of you lose power.

Hello,

I've just purchased the mustang and I'd like to know if someone has a link for the 1.2.0 version (torrent) ?

There's an "older version" page on the DCS website but only with BS and A10c standalone.

It no longer appears to exist. If you use it, you get 1.2.1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: