The Virtual Horsemen

VH-Rock

Welcome to the forum, VH :)

Like everyone else, I can't wait to see your guys performance with the DCS: Mustang!

It will certainly fly a little (*cough*) different than IL2, but it's a pretty stable platform, formation should be no problem. :)

It will be very interesting to learn a new platform although I am not expecting it to be too difficult. It will certainly be an interesting process converting to DCS after myself and SkyHawk have flown IL-2 for 7 years

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to double post, but we have just released this weeks training clip of the Photo Opportunity pass. There is a short introduction by left wing pilot, Julian "SkyHawk" Tirazona. Enjoy, Subscribe and let us know what you think :)

All the best,

Rob

Another week brings another video

For this week's clip, we thought we would show you the barrel roll. It is a very interesting maneuver to fly as it differs hugely depending on which position you fly. Left Wing has to experience being turn in on by the rest of the formation at an unusual attitude whilst Right Wing experiences the fastest roll rate and has to try and keep up with the formation. The leader has to try and find a balance that works for all 3 pilots. Too much pull and it's impossible to stick with, the same can be said for too much roll. Not enough pull or roll? We'll surely hit the ground. Finding the balance in formation flying is often the difference between perfection and disaster

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since we released a training video, we have been really busy with our real lives. Our new video shows the final maneuver of our display. In the break, the left and right wingmen seperate in equal distances from the leader. We hope you'll enjoy it

Watch:

From the little snippets that we've received from ED in regards to authenticity of the aircraft modeled, it looks as though you may have a mighty challenge to keep that formation as tight as you are with the IL2 product. But regardless of that I have to say that it is pretty incredible what you guys are able to accomplish with the limitations of a virtual world. Congrats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

First impressions of the new sim

Myself and Julian have both tried the new sim and, soon, our right wing, Marc, will also be buying DCS. So far, we have been very, very impressed with the level of detail that this new sim has achieved. It's fantastic to have to sit on the ramp and go through the full start procedure before being able to start the engine. No more "Press fly and press start". The procedure matches what I have done in FSX for a while (without the necessity to do so) with the exception to moving the mixture control while pressing the starter.

The ground handling is a very interesting concept which I have yet to adapt to... it is somewhat more complicated that what we have become used to over the last 7 years of flying aerobatics in IL-2 but it is something that we can definitely get used to. It really does add to the immersion of the sim. Having to do real procedures when flying is a great concept and I can not wait to try the finalised version when all systems are fully functional.

I have yet to form an opinion on general handling in the air as I have not messed with my stick settings yet (Saitek X-52). At the minute, she feels very light and twitchy but as I said, I have not set curves or deadzones in DCS yet so I will reserve judgement until I have found an appropriate set up.

As the multiplayer feature is not yet working for many people here, we have been unable to try out any formation aerobatics yet but I am looking forward to being able to do this in future. I'm sure we will have to learn to deal with all kinds of new features which we have never even thought about in our previous sim. We have always flown to maximise realism but this sim adds a whole new dimension to that department.

The sim in general feels very nice. The UI is nice and modern, the music is not too over-powering and it seems very logically layed out. I have yet to experiment with some of the other features such as the mission/campaign editor, but I'm sure I will at some point in the future. I was a little suprised at how much my system struggled to run DCS as I can run FSX, FC2 and IL-2 quite easily. I have ordered Windows 7 Ultimate and I will be upgrading from 4GB to 8GB RAM. I am hoping that this will enable me to run quite high settings in the new sim.

A big congratulations to the DCS/ED crew on a fantastic job and I look forward to further updates!

Rob

As the multiplayer feature is not yet working for many people here, we have been unable to try out any formation aerobatics yet but I am looking forward to being able to do this in future. I'm sure we will have to learn to deal with all kinds of new features which we have never even thought about in our previous sim. We have always flown to maximise realism but this sim adds a whole new dimension to that department.

Not much of a consolation, but you could try making a mission with an AI flying a route and try keeping formation with him (or i could send you the one i have been using). Doesn't hold a candle to flying with a real human, of course, but it definately shows you how much cross-controlling (especially for the engine) is needed with all the effects modelled.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thanks for the offer, Sobek, I would love to try it out! At the minute, I will be away from home until the weekend and I am moving house on Friday. Hopefully I will get some time to myself on Sunday so that I can install Windows 7 and get everything back up to speed.

Thanks for the offer, Sobek, I would love to try it out! At the minute, I will be away from home until the weekend and I am moving house on Friday. Hopefully I will get some time to myself on Sunday so that I can install Windows 7 and get everything back up to speed.

Hey VH-Rock pm me..if you like I wouldn't mind tagging along with you for abit of flying in this new baby...like your name it " Rocks ":thumbup:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1445061&postcount=39

This should probably fix your multiplayer issue.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

As we move into DCS, we are going to be looking for new members to join the team. We are looking for a permanent Streamer and a Narrator. With the far more advanced camera features available in the new sim, the quality of the stream and narration is going to become a huge part of our show. We are a Europe based team and therefore we must be sure that members are able to train during European evenings. If you're interested, please leave a message here or message one of the team members privately.