how the hell can i beat the spitfire - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
razo+r
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
I wouldn't fight a K4. It's an un-historic battle. This is a Dora forum and I thought that's what you meant.
Well, I can do the same run-away tactic I do with the K4 in the D9, no problem there

Of course it is unhistoric yet, and this is not the only example...

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
Well, I can do the same run-away tactic I do with the K4 in the D9, no problem there

Of course it is unhistoric yet, and this is not the only example...
It's too bad too. ED knew we were getting Normandy. Why not give us a historic plane set? The K4 is too good right now for the other planes. I'm not sure the G models wouldn't the same, so maybe it's not as important as it appears.

I always liked flying the 109's in IL2 and i'm sure i'll buy it at some point. I don't blame anybody for wanting to fly it.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
razo+r
Veteran

Quote:
It's too bad too. ED knew we were getting Normandy. Why not give us a historic plane set? The K4 is too good right now for the other planes. I'm not sure the G models wouldn't the same, so maybe it's not as important as it appears.

I always liked flying the 109's in IL2 and i'm sure i'll buy it at some point. I don't blame anybody for wanting to fly it.
It's not too good, but it surely helps the pilot, but in the end, a skilled pilot can beat a K4 and the D9

Rig: Maximus VII Ranger, 4790K @ 4.00 Ghz, MSI GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, 250 GB SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD, 2TB HDD, Win 10 64-bit
Old 05-04-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
BuzzU

That doesn't always work. Can a good pilot in another plane beat a good pilot in the K4? The plane makes a difference and can't always be compensated with pilot skills.

In WW2 most of the better German pilots were gone by the time the K4 showed up. That's not the case in DCS.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
razo+r
Veteran

Quote:
That doesn't always work. Can a good pilot in another plane beat a good pilot in the K4? The plane makes a difference and can't always be compensated with pilot skills.

In WW2 most of the better German pilots were gone by the time the K4 showed up. That's not the case in DCS.
Skill, tactics and equipment make differences. And if both skills are equal (which will never happen) then i don't know how the result will look like...

Old 05-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
OnlyforDCS

You guys are kind of splitting hairs. The K4 went into regular production in August 1944. In a truly historical scenario by the time of the D-day invasion, there were absolutely no Luftwaffe planes over Normandy. Most were at the time defending German airspace against the daily bombing raids.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #17
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
You guys are kind of splitting hairs. The K4 went into regular production in August 1944. In a truly historical scenario by the time of the D-day invasion, there were absolutely no Luftwaffe planes over Normandy. Most were at the time defending German airspace against the daily bombing raids.

True but didn't they bring the planes to Normandy later?

Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #18
David OC

Quote:

The problem again here is that most play Air Quake Multiplayer with the most accurately built simulation of these plane sets to date and want it to be a nice fair fight at sea level?

Yes the 109 is generally the easier plane to use in combat if used somewhat correctly at “sea level” but there will always be someone with a better skill level and trained more in their favourite aircraft tho.

The P-47 “will be” the least competent fighter plane in the existing DCS line up right?

But if used correctly…..Like IRL...

“Fighter Group 56, which flew the P-47 throughout the war and achieved more air-to-air victories than any other unit in Europe, was particularly adept at this strategy. The top scoring ace in the European Theater, Col. Frances Gabreski of the 56th, brought down 28 German aircraft with his Thunderbolt."

The P-47's initial success in combat was primarily due to tactics, using rolls (the P-47 had an excellent roll rate) and energy-saving dive and zoom climbs from high altitude to outmanoeuvre German fighters.

No German piston-engined aircraft could out-dive the Thunderbolt. It could reach speeds of 550 mph (480 kn, 885 km/h)

The P-47 will be like a freight train with eight .50 caliber guns with thirty seconds of fire (3400 rounds)

I'm really starting to look forward to the P-47 and try some boom and zoom tactics on the 109 and 190.

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/et...ter_thesis.pdf
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...sus_FW-190.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_P-47_Thunderbolt
-

Last edited by David OC; 05-05-2017 at 12:07 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #19
BuzzU

It can dive faster than that. Bud Anderson said he got it up the 700 mph in a dive and it pulled out of it too. Took some air space but it pulled out.

I'm not flying the Jug because I think it's the best dogfighter. I know it's not. There are lots of reasons to pick a plane. I have a lot of them for the P-47. One thing is for sure. You won't see me flying it solo in a furball. I'd deserve to die if I did.

I want historic missions with good mates to fly with.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Tomsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shab249 View Post
its imposible!
i can beat the p-51 but the spitfire is too good someone can show me how to?
Dogfighting co-E versus the AI is pretty hard in the Dora against the Spit. However, in actual online gameplay I generally consider the Spitfire the least significant threat when flying the Dora. Why? Well the Spitfire is just too slow, as long as you're not low and slow on the deck (a position you should never put yourself in when flying the Dora), then you can always just dive away and run from a Spitfire. They'll never catch you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
“Fighter Group 56, which flew the P-47 throughout the war and achieved more air-to-air victories than any other unit in Europe, was particularly adept at this strategy. The top scoring ace in the European Theater, Col. Frances Gabreski of the 56th, brought down 28 German aircraft with his Thunderbolt."

The P-47's initial success in combat was primarily due to tactics, using rolls (the P-47 had an excellent roll rate) and energy-saving dive and zoom climbs from high altitude to outmanoeuvre German fighters.
I love the P-47, and I think that in many ways it was the plane that broke the Luftwaffe, and not the P-51. By the time the P-51 arrived on the scene in significant numbers the Luftwaffe was essentially already defeated.

That said the P-47 had most of its success fighting earlier model 109s and 190s ... not the late war monsters that we have in DCS. For example the Dora is also an excellent diver (and roller), and is a lot faster than the P-47 on the deck. The 109 K4 is a monster all the way up to high-altitude, where the P-47 would normally shine. Of course, by this late stage of the war it didn't much matter: the allies had total domination in numbers and resources. However that isn't modelled in DCS ...
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote