DCS December Newsletters Discussion

YoYo

Re: DCS App

I was happy to see ED trying to add to the experience by releasing this app. Unfortunately not useful to me as I'm on an MS Surface Pro. I realize I'm part of a small minority and so this doesn't come as a surprise. However, the lack of an Android app is a bit puzzling to me. I can only hope ED finds the time and money to develop a similar app for Android (and Windows) in the near future.

The developer support for this fruit-company is annoying at best. Strange as the vast majority is not on that platform to begin with.

Sorry, had to vent...

Witchking... ED refers to it as 'our app' in the email.

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the lack of an Android app is a bit puzzling to me. I can only hope ED finds the time and money to develop a similar app for Android (and Windows) in the near future..
If it was available on android then I could run it on BlueStacks. That is a nice android emulator for Windows. I have not looked for iPad emulators though, so I am not sure if there is something similar. I would probably just prefer the PDF version of the documents I already get on my PC anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

guys...if you notice, it is published by sky jet international. Its not ED themselves...its a separate company. ED has no control on where sky jet decides to publish its apps.

Well, there is obviously a relationship between ED and the publisher.

The company is capable, based on current offerings, of producing an app for both IOS and android, and appears adept at in-app transactions on both platforms. So it is rather surprising that there is no mention of an android version being forthcoming.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why all those shiny apps always aim for a first release to the iPad audience only is beyond my understanding.

Cash rules. I guess.

IOS is easier since there are so many different android implementations to contend with. Theoretically, there should be more money in android since it has a larger share of the market.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"It looks terrible" is an opinion.

"Flogger23m thinks it looks terrible" is a fact.

Saying that something "looks terrible" is completely unconstructive, and at best it doesn't provide any insight to the developers about how they can improve it, or worse they could take personal offense at your insult.

You can improve the quality of your contribution to the forum by saying something like: "These screenshots would look better if the terrain detail was sharper. There may be a problem with the current texture filters. Perhaps including normal mapping or procedural noise would make the terrain appear more realistic."

See how much better that is than "The terrain looks terrible."

It certainly does look terrible at a distance compared to just about any flight game released in the past decade. Including the current terrian/engine in DCS. I already acknowledged it is WIP and even speculated the AA/AF isn't implemented in engine yet. So what was the point of your post? To deny the WIP screen shots of the terrian do not look blurry, or to tell me to make a post like I already did?

But side with the hostile toned fellow who tells people to play other games because your comments are not over the top brown nosing. You would think on a forum for a flight sim there could be a more mature, honest discussion about the updates opposed to rabid fanboy type responses.

So what was the point of your post?
I am a perfectionist. Everything I ever see looks terrible, including my own creations. Telling people that I think everything in the world is terrible doesn't make it better though; it just makes people upset. If you make people upset, then they will be less likely to openly listen to what you say even if you have a valid point.

Having a critical eye is a good thing, but the approach to communication is just as important as attention to detail. Make suggestions instead of calling things bad, ugly, or terrible. Try to avoid negative statements, for example, saying "I'd like to see crisper terrain." sounds better than "The terrain looks blurry." but it conveys the same message. Basically, focus on making things better rather than less bad.

The point of my post is to help focus the criticism around here into something more constructive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the worst updates for the year in my opinion. Everything is delayed, no word on f18. Everything that was in the nwsletter, we already knew about anyway. Very sad!

Can't always be sunshine and lollipops. Whether it's good or bad it's still nice to be kept in the loop about what's happening. There was also a bunch of changes that weren't mentioned for whatever reason (e.g. choppers kicking up dust when hovering at ground level).

• ED Team
One of the worst updates for the year in my opinion. Everything is delayed, no word on f18. Everything that was in the nwsletter, we already knew about anyway. Very sad!

One of the worst responses to ED trying to keep us updated on their projects. Very sad!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Well I kind of had hopes for DCS L-39 C Albatros since last newsletter. I guess I have to wait a bit longer..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Why all those shiny apps always aim for a first release to the iPad audience only is beyond my understanding.

Cash rules. I guess.

I once read that although apple had one tenth of the market share in tablets and phones compared to all the others, its appstore generated more cash than all the others together, because iOS users spent much more money in quality and expensive apps than other platform users which preffered free apps.

I dont know if its true but it was an answer to that question that some company made or something.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I could not help noticing an Su-27 in Kazakstan Air Force livery in the ED EDGE promo video. I really hope this means they have added more countries into 2.0 and not only additional skins (yes I know there will be some new countries with the new map but KZ was not one of them).

Can't wait to find out what kinds of treats are in store for us. :)

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

One of the worst responses to ED trying to keep us updated on their projects. Very sad!

It is sad to think how hard ED worked to get us here, only to be bad mouthed by some new guy who knows nothing of what it took to get us here.

Being a PC. Technician I miss the days when we needed a lot of technical know how just to run the Sim. 1.1.0.9 Brought my Rig to it's knees on initial

release. I think it was when if loading the Sim U didn't have the resolution of the desk top match the Sims. resolution it would just crash the systems.

I am for one very happy with the work that ED has put forth. A small group of guys with guts to take on the Big Box Corporate Juggernauts, in a market that is at best "Risky". Simmers aren't as prevalent as the First Person Shooter Genre. That alone would give pause to anyone wanting to take this idea on.

To label a person "Fan Boy" for Respecting this group of people, is ignorant (e.g. to ignore). In this one, ignoring the challenge of bring to fruition a software program that emulates flying a combat jet. No easy task by any measure. Consider those who have gone before and where they are now and it will not take long to realize the well thought out /planned methodology of bringing this to market in a successful way.

So bash if U must, ye of little knowledge. Ponder not those who smile and walk away. Contemplation of such may result in migraines.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

It is sad to think how hard ED worked to get us here, only to be bad mouthed by some new guy who knows nothing of what it took to get us here.

Being a PC. Technician I miss the days when we needed a lot of technical know how just to run the Sim. 1.1.0.9 Brought my Rig to it's knees on initial

release. I think it was when if loading the Sim U didn't have the resolution of the desk top match the Sims. resolution it would just crash the systems.

I am for one very happy with the work that ED has put forth. A small group of guys with guts to take on the Big Box Corporate Juggernauts, in a market that is at best "Risky". Simmers aren't as prevalent as the First Person Shooter Genre. That alone would give pause to anyone wanting to take this idea on.

To label a person "Fan Boy" for Respecting this group of people, is ignorant (e.g. to ignore). In this one, ignoring the challenge of bring to fruition a software program that emulates flying a combat jet. No easy task by any measure. Consider those who have gone before and where they are now and it will not take long to realize the well thought out /planned methodology of bringing this to market in a successful way.

So bash if U must, ye of little knowledge. Ponder not those who smile and walk away. Contemplation of such may result in migraines.

Absolutely... All I can say is just consider the source.. If you look at pretty much ANYTHING this guy has posted you will see nothing but negativity and similar postings such as the one you are commenting about..

:(

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not DCS 2 will include a dedicated server program?

That is in the works, but there is no word on whether it will be available at release of 2.0 or later on as an update.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Ya.. I hope ED doesn't stop doing these updates. Its nice to stay in the loop. Do not let a few bad apples spoil the whole thing for the rest of the community.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I have a question about my favorite part of the newsletter.

After reading many people's concerns about planes like the P-51 lacking things to do beyond the Challenge Campaign, I decided to make a campaign for the P-51 that I'm really excited about. A few missions into it, ED announced that they're working on that ability to have users publish their campaigns through ED rather than just toss it up on a forum.

I'm curious how that would work, exactly...My question is, does anyone have any ideas?

My goal is to make this campaign as good as I can make it, with a solid story that unfolds as you play, intricate interactive missions that change based on player actions, and good replay value.

Is this something they'd get the rights to? Is there money involved in any way? Should I send them my work outline so far to see what would need to be tweaked for their stamp of approval?

Has anyone heard/read anything?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

I have a question about my favorite part of the newsletter.

After reading many people's concerns about planes like the P-51 lacking things to do beyond the Challenge Campaign, I decided to make a campaign for the P-51 that I'm really excited about. A few missions into it, ED announced that they're working on that ability to have users publish their campaigns through ED rather than just toss it up on a forum.

I'm curious how that would work, exactly...My question is, does anyone have any ideas?

My goal is to make this campaign as good as I can make it, with a solid story that unfolds as you play, intricate interactive missions that change based on player actions, and good replay value.

Is this something they'd get the rights to? Is there money involved in any way? Should I send them my work outline so far to see what would need to be tweaked for their stamp of approval?

Has anyone heard/read anything?

You can always make and publish your work as freeware or by any other means you see fit if you you want to make some money with it. The drawback here would probably be that you can't really copyprotect your work as campaigns are basically just a set of missions and a mission is just a ZIP file which contains text files.

What was proposed in the newsletter is, so my understanding, basically a way to copyprotect your campaings, publish it through the ED webshop and thus probably also use the DCS logo (as some sort of quality seal). This will make it easier for, well, professional 3rd party developers (of campaigns) to monetarize their work, similar to the way 3rd party devs (of aircrafts) can benenefit from working together with ED.

On the other hand there might be some obligations for you as such a 3rd party dev that you have fullfill. This is now speculation on my part, but based on what I gathered on the forums, you might have to sign a NDA and to pay some sort of royalty fee and have to meet some quality standards. If this is really correct and how exactly this will look like, only ED can tell (as it probably is already part of the NDA).

So if you are seriously considering going this route, you should contact ED (i.e. Wags) directly and probably be prepared to show some decent proof-of-concept.

Edited by Flagrum

@Zilch

There has been a "Start Up Trainer" available for a long time that costs like 99c. It's been available for a long time now. So it has been done Zilch.

I would give it a go. even if U have to start it as a small business, it should be worth it. I would pay a few bucks to a Valid and Proven mission creator.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.