Mi-8 or Huey?

Zius

I presently have the Ka-50 and the Gazelle, but have difficulty coming to grips with both of them.

The Ka-50 is fairly easy to fly, but the systems are too complicated for my taste.

The Gazelle has quite simple systems, but very, very twitchy... Which lead me to lose control and crash.

So, with the sale going on, I thought of getting either the Mi-8 or the Huey. I have read Chuck's guides on both, as well as watched some videos on Youtube.

The Mi-8 appeals to me a tiny bit more, but I am quite scared of all those switches and systems. The Huey seems to be easier in that respect, but more sensitive when it comes to flying.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

well I have the shark and love it, its not hard just put the time in to it and itl be second nature after a while, I asked the same question as you a while back, general response is get the 8, which I did and love, but if you find the shark hard, the 8 is a different beast completely, I would get it and just put in the time

I did the same thing at first.

I got the huey, struggled to learn to fly it and thought i needed a different helicopter and got the mi-8.

after a few weeks jumping between the two i came to the conclusion i didn't need a new helicopter. i needed to just learn one helicopter.

so I cracked the huey.

so my advice is crack the gazelle before you try the mi-8 or huey.

edit: but by all means buy them both in the sale for later :)

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I found the Gazelle slightly easier to fly than the Huey, though the Huey has it's own little nuances it too was easy to fly, I was hover-taxiing around in a matter of minutes with it.

So perhaps if flying the Gazelle was a struggle, you might find the Huey a little more challenging, due to the pendulum and shimmy being much more noticeable.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

The Ka50 doesn't really count, as it flies so much differently to the other choppers.

The Huey is like a far less nervous Gazelle. It's just a pleasure to fly.

The Mi8 is the big fat brother of a Huey, and flies like a bus. Now that sounds like a big negative, and when you first fly it, you'll probably think WTF have I done.

However, stick with it, and whilst the Mi8 is definitely more challenging, and has a massively more complex start up procedure, fly it well and it's even more satisfying that the Huey.

Taking into account your comments right now, go with the Huey. If you love that, maybe the Mi8 later.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

going the other way i had fun hovering the gazelle at first :)

automatically correcting for the huey shimmy gets you into PIO hell in the gazelle.

and not moving the stick so much felt unnatural.

but its the same in the mi-8.

must be that SAS assist :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I've got it all. For my taste Mi8 gives us everything that you can wish. Fly model is superb. Simply the best option.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Edited by gorzasty

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

My .02 is the Mi-8 is the nicest to fly, but for now I prefer the UH-1 on the attack, of the two. I don't like the Gazelle flight model much, and the shark's systems aren't that bad once you get the hang, although I admit I still don't have all the nuances of the autopilot down...but anyways, I like the UH-1 and Mi-8 both. I got the Huey first and its simplicity helped me focus on the flying, but if I could only have one of the two, by a slim margin I'd go Mi-8.

I think.

Bear in mind, that they include the Air America skin, couple that with this;

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Get the Mi-8 and you'll never want to fly anything else :thumbup:

I've got it all. For my taste Mi8 gives us everything that you can wish. Fly model is superb. Simply the best option.

I have to agree. I've enjoyed all the helo modules but the Mi-8 is definitely my favourite. It can do so much and it's systems, size & power give it great flexibility. Really the only role it can't preform is a anti-tank role. It can deal with lighter armed/ unarmed vehicles just fine, not to mention troop lift, rescue and slung loads.

It may look a little daunting with all those switches at first, but you can just take your time and learn each system as you go.

The only thing missing for this great module ....... multi-crew.

the only problem I have with the mi-8 is it size.

they call it a medium helicopter...

but you can fit a B17 flying fortress under its rotors with room to spare. :)

now i'm flying the gazelle a lot I really notice its train like qualities :)

like needing a good mile to stop..

edit: the campaigns are good though. the one that comes with the mi-8 and the pay for.

Edited by Quadg

the only problem I have with the mi-8 is it size.

they call it a medium helicopter...

but you can fit a B17 flying fortress under its rotors with room to spare. :)

now i'm flying the gazelle a lot I really notice its train like qualities :)

like needing a good mile to stop..

edit: the campaigns are good though. the one that comes with the mi-8 and the pay for.

You can expend a lot of energy pulling a hard turn or just reverse it and flare backwards. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Mi-8 or Huey, Huey was my first heli and great to fly then I got the Gazelle back then it was a demanding be-itch :D. Then I got the Mi-8 and that is such a nice ride as long as you keep in mind the energy in 10ish tones of mass travelling at speed,..and respect it. The KA50 is a tad heavier.

It's a shame about the Gazelle I'm finding the revised FM great but I'm only a simmer.

There has been a lot of discussion and this might help with the Gazelle and controlling it.

I would have said Huey until I got the Mi-8 but it is more complex IMO however I tend to find Gazelle, Huey and Mi-8 so similar to control, there are differences but generally similar.

I'd go the Huey it does have a great FM there are some issues but seriously EGT and stuff will get sorted and that doesn't stop me flying it and enjoying it as a simmer. It's also relatively simple late 60's technology.

Although I am clocking up a lot of time on the Gazelle lately. :D

Mind you aren't they both on sale? :music_whistling:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Mind you aren't they both on sale? :music_whistling:

I get the feeling that this will be the conclusion....

Thanks for all the opinions so far! :thumbup:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I get the feeling that this will be the conclusion....

I'll just say that for me the experience builds with time in each one they all have their nuances. Besides you would enjoy both, also it would be good to get you into the Gazelle as well. :D

I presently have the Ka-50 and the Gazelle, but have difficulty coming to grips with both of them.

The Ka-50 is fairly easy to fly, but the systems are too complicated for my taste.

The Gazelle has quite simple systems, but very, very twitchy... Which lead me to lose control and crash.

So, with the sale going on, I thought of getting either the Mi-8 or the Huey. I have read Chuck's guides on both, as well as watched some videos on Youtube.

The Mi-8 appeals to me a tiny bit more, but I am quite scared of all those switches and systems. The Huey seems to be easier in that respect, but more sensitive when it comes to flying.

I have both the Huey and Mi-8. I like flying Red-side in Blue Flag. So, I use the Mi-8 .

My main ride is the Ka-50, but in Blue Flag, having the Mi-8 gives me the resupplying bases options.

Once learned, the Mi-8 is easy >>> for me, anyway...

Learning any of the aircraft at 1st is a very real chore for me. None of it is easy. Just gotta' do it!!

Since my Navy Seabees' training was in the 1970's, the Huey interested me just because I was there and saw it for real; so I wanted to learn about her.

-+-

One other point. For me and my CH Products controllers : Chuck's Guide(s) have it just about right for each aircraft, setting up the controllers and fine tuning them >>> as to your Gazelle issues.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have both the Huey and Mi-8. I like flying Red-side in Blue Flag. So, I use the Mi-8 .

My main ride is the Ka-50, but in Blue Flag, having the Mi-8 gives me the resupplying bases options.

Once learned, the Mi-8 is easy >>> for me, anyway...

Learning any of the aircraft at 1st is a very real chore for me. None of it is easy. Just gotta' do it!!

Since my Navy Seabees' training was in the 1970's, the Huey interested me just because I was there and saw it for real; so I wanted to learn about her.

Hehe, I find myself wanting to make those comparisons based on being useful on BF, the Huey is a joy to fly, but you'll take an age to get anywhere... yet have fun whilst doing it.

The Mi-8 hands down. It's arguably the best virtual chopper ever made for any sim, and the systems are not that complicated once you get the hang of them. It's just a beautiful machine all told, and very versatile too!

Just my $0.002 though, YMMV ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Ok, so I did get both.

And the NS 430 system... :music_whistling:

I'll let you know what I think when I get some time playing with both. :thumbup:

:pilotfly:

NS 430 IMO is worth 7$. Flying with it is so much easier if we have complicated routes designed. And it is gonna fit in Mi24 ;)

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2