DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

This is probably another easy one, however I can't seem to find a simple answer, so I'll pull the trigger on myself!

I've started my reading on the CDU which looks like it'll be the hardest system to learn, and I can't seem to get my head around the difference of waypoints and steerpoints.

What's the difference?

476th vFG Alumni

This is probably another easy one, however I can't seem to find a simple answer, so I'll pull the trigger on myself!

I've started my reading on the CDU which looks like it'll be the hardest system to learn, and I can't seem to get my head around the difference of waypoints and steerpoints.

What's the difference?

A steerpoint is just the active waypoint in your flightplan, to which your HUD/HSI steering cues will point. You can have multiple waypoints, but only one steerpoint at any one time.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

A steerpoint is just the active waypoint in your flightplan, to which your HUD/HSI steering cues will point. You can have multiple waypoints, but only one steerpoint at any one time.

Very simple, makes me feel silly!

Thanks Eddie.

What pages on the CDU, and navigation systems would you recommend getting under my belt first?

I find it hard to just read every page in the manual and retain the information. What do all you guys find yourselves using the most?

476th vFG Alumni

Thanks Eddie.

What pages on the CDU, and navigation systems would you recommend getting under my belt first?

I find it hard to just read every page in the manual and retain the information. What do all you guys find yourselves using the most?

No probs. I'd advise you to learn in sections much as is done IRL. Read a portion of the manual, then fly a sortie using what you've learnt. Try and resist the temptation to fill your wings will ordnance and go killing things right away.

Familiarise your self with the systems related to FLYING the aircraft first, then move on to learning to fight it. It'll take a while before you find yourself buring through the sky with a column of buring tanks behind you, but when the time comes you'll be a much better pilot because of it.

Too many people spend all their effort learning to drop bombs and fire missiles right away, and then find themselves stuck the first time they have to do a single engine landing or navigate to an alternate airfield that isn't in their flightplan.

Learn to fly first, then learn to fight.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Absolutely been my game plan so far, I've got startup down and I can fly a flight plan according to the TAD and land it, but like you say, I get lost when things change up a bit.

Thanks again guys, I think I'm gonna get myself an iPad for the manual :P

476th vFG Alumni

Thanks Eddie.

The manual is invaluable here but theres a lot of info that doesnt make sense if your just reading it. I found it helpful to just spend some time flipping through the cdu screens to see whats on it. There are also some videos floating around that demonstrated how to enter in a new flight plan. I still dont know how to enter in lat/long coordinates but Im learning that the system isnt as hard as it looks.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Is there an indicator that shows the position of the speedbrakes? I could not find it mentioned in the manual and also not on this forum. Of course you can look over your shoulder :), but I would expect also an indicator.

i5-4690K@3.5GHz, 16GB, Asus Maximus VII hero, GTX 970 4Gb, Win 10 64bit, G15, TM Hotas Warthog, TM Cougar MFDs

Is there an indicator that shows the position of the speedbrakes? I could not find it mentioned in the manual and also not on this forum. Of course you can look over your shoulder :), but I would expect also an indicator.

There's a slight sound difference and the plane slows down. :) But yeah, I usually just tap F2 quickly to check! heh

THere is no indicator. The one that is in the cockpit is disconnected. You check the speedbrake by looking over your shoulder.

In the sim, yes? In the real thing you would hear and feel it coming out (in the quietness of gliders you can judge airspeed reasonably accurately by the sound of the air alone!)

Could have sworn the "A" model had one - but I might be mistaken

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

you can judge airspeed reasonably accurately by the sound of the air alone!)

You can in the sim too! Last night for some reason my altitude and speed sensors were totally off, like 600m off and I don't know how off the speed was, but it was wrong. I was coming in for a landing and it just sounded wrong. Sped up till it sounded right again and all was well. Good thing I didn't listen to the instruments heh

Mk 1 Eyeball

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can in the sim too! Last night for some reason my altitude and speed sensors were totally off, like 600m off and I don't know how off the speed was, but it was wrong. I was coming in for a landing and it just sounded wrong. Sped up till it sounded right again and all was well. Good thing I didn't listen to the instruments heh

Pitot Heat on?

Could have sworn the "A" model had one - but I might be mistaken

It did. They used to have it in the A, and I believe the YA-10B did too (being built from an A-10A). In the C however they took it out, the thing that real pilots get that we simmers don't is feel. In a real plane with the speedbrakes out, the pilot can feel noticeable drag on the aircraft. Imagine driving your car with the brakes dragging, you could feel it.

Edited by Ragtop

476th vFG Alumni

There is no indicator in the real one either, at least not a functioning one ... taken here to mean AN INSTRUMENT IN THE COCKPIT Moa, not 'an indicator' in the 'everything that can serve as one' sense ;)

In the sim, yes? In the real thing you would hear and feel it coming out (in the quietness of gliders you can judge airspeed reasonably accurately by the sound of the air alone!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hmm, I just checked in to see if there were any new replies in the thread I started yesterday - the one about the trees not being collidable.

Funny thing is - the thread is gone! And I did not get any notification about it getting erazed by anyone, so surely this could not have happened, right?

I am sure that an open discussion of program features is encouraged in this forum (as claimed by the rules), so it must be some computer-quirk. Otherwise enjoy reading this post while it lasts :lol:.

I am sure that an open discussion of program features is encouraged in this forum....

Oh but it is!

Bludgeoning the sinew off the carcass of an Equus ferus caballus is however not.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Got it. Thought bludgeoning was ok since it´s a new equus. Must have been not completely dead, as it seemingly can still feel at least one of it´s sore spots :music_whistling:

Carry on, please, nothing to see here!:pilotfly: