DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Do the targeting pod / mav not count also?

Displayed on the relevant MFCD. So yeah, technically they are a SOI if so set.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yep .. the MFCD/HUD are your 'Sensors' in the cockpit, which are containers for your other devices :)

Being excessively purist, an MFCD/HUD is not a Sensor but a Display or more generically, an Interface. Since they are interfaces to the actual sensors, and they are interchangeable, their denomination as "Sensors" leads to confusion.

I can live with that, hopefully, but was wondering if there was some concrete reason to call them "Sensors", considering this is the work of very smart people.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I wouldn't know. Maybe it's hold-over terminology?

Maybe it makes sense because they contain sensors. It struck me as odd at first as well, but once they made clear it's the container and not specifically a sensor, well. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Could someone please give a comparison and contrast between SOI (sensor of interest) and SPI (or SPOI, sensor point of interest).

I can understand the SOI acronym as applied to the 3 cockpit displays since the display does in effect, become the sensor to the pilot since there is no other convenient way for him/her to interact with the sensor. I don't as of yet understand SPI though.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Could someone please give a comparison and contrast between SOI (sensor of interest) and SPI (or SPOI, sensor point of interest).

I can understand the SOI acronym as applied to the 3 cockpit displays since the display does in effect, become the sensor to the pilot since there is no other convenient way for him/her to interact with the sensor. I don't as of yet understand SPI though.

In general the SOI (HUD,TGP,MAV,TAD) is the sensor you use to designate the SPI. The SPI is the point of interest that your weapons are targeted on and/or other sensors are slaved to.

For example your Targeting pod (TGP) spots a target, you lock on and assign that as the SPI. That is now the target that is computed for CCRP and also you can slave other sensors to that SPI (ie a MAV).

You use the SOI to Assign the SPI. The SPI is common to all sensors whether they are the sensor of interest or not.

Clear as mud huh?

Edit:-

SPI is the target. SOI is the device used to target the target. I assume.

Bingo.

Nate

• Like 1

Does DCS A-10C have a training mission on how to avoid SAM and AAA threats? OR is it just trial and error?

Here you go:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=GEN+1&version=CEV

Now seriously, this guy has some great tactics for LOMAC´s A-10. Only in my opinion, his techniques exploit the unavoidable roboticness of the AI.

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/index.html

But trial and error can be fun too... because apart from some general guidelines, it´s your ability to improvise quickly what will save you from that SAM...

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

The SPI is common to all sensors whether they are the sensor of interest or not.

Nate

Oh this is holy grail for an attack aircraft. Do you ever loose track of the target due to maneuvering?

And! and! can we have multiple SPIs somehow stored in memory, so we can switch between them without having to re-acquire them?

Now seriously, this guy has some great tactics for LOMAC´s A-10. Only in my opinion, his techniques exploit the unavoidable roboticness of the AI.

Is IronHand not involved in the DCS scene anymore? His site is very useful and he even did a FC mission one tutorial when I asked him, otherwise I would never have completed that mission.

Is IronHand not involved in the DCS scene anymore?

Has never been involved (read creation of tutorials/study-aids etc etc) with DCS. As far as I am aware he is concentrating on FSX atm.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

And maybe a basic tactics and maneuvers guide?

Does DCS A-10C have a training mission on how to avoid SAM and AAA threats? OR is it just trial and error?

Now this is something for the wishlist I would really like to see. The training videos are great but we could really use some tactics and some offense/defense training as well.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

Here you go:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=GEN+1&version=CEV

But trial and error can be fun too... because apart from some general guidelines, it´s your ability to improvise quickly what will save you from that SAM...

Its a little different trying to read how to do it in a book and quite different to see how it is done in a training session as they explain it.

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

I know this has been asked a few times before, but I'm not really sure how to understand the answers:

Q: "Will DCS:A-10C be compatible with FC2?"

A: "Most probably not!"

Now my question is: Is it planned but not sure if it will happen or is it not planned at all?

It's important to know for us, to plan the future structures of our squadron. TY for answering this question (once again...).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Hello!

I`m highly curious about Targeting Pod (TGP) and fps drops, while We will use Targeting Pod and Maverick (MAV) MFCD. How many fps drops?

I hope so, that we would not have any problems, just like We had in FC2, with Shkval in Su-25T.

Maybe 64-bit version would allow to save fps drops?

Best regards for All!!!!