Do we get these in DCS: A-10C?

zakobi

With the Sniper Pod, I dare say a Pair of Binoculars are a Hinderance! Read the following article - Inspects the Craters of the Moon :surprise:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/10044top.xml

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I was just wondering if we can get binoculars with the Hog, that's all...

After all they still use them. :book:

We will get the C-Version - no need for binoculars.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Most other aircraft rely heavily on (electronic) sensors to find and target the enemy," said Capt. Rick Mitchell, deployed here from the Air Force Reserve Command's 442nd Fighter Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, Mo. "In the A-10, it's not unusual for a pilot to use binoculars.

http://www.defense.gov/news/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=499

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can't comment on the A-10C, but RAF Harrier GR.7 & GR.9 pilots in Afghanistan were issued and constantly used gyro stabilised binoculars, even though they also carried Sniper pods. Pods need to be slewed around and have a small FOV, it's often easier to aquire targets on the ground with binos while talking to JTACs and then slew the pod when you know where to look.

Of course if A-10C drivers don't get them, then they shouldn't be in DCS:A-10C imho.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You can already zoom in, so I'd argue this is a reasonable replacement for binocs.

Can't comment on the A-10C, but RAF Harrier GR.7 & GR.9 pilots in Afghanistan were issued and constantly used gyro stabilised binoculars, even though they also carried Sniper pods. Pods need to be slewed around and have a small FOV, it's often easier to aquire targets on the ground with binos while talking to JTACs and then slew the pod when you know where to look.

Of course if A-10C drivers don't get them, then they shouldn't be in DCS:A-10C imho.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can already zoom in, so I'd argue this is a reasonable replacement for binocs.

Nope thats not good enough sorry there must be a binos view.:D

Just kidding now seriously though its a good idea to have them in sim since binos view gives you a fixed zoom and would be faster as you need if you're doing CAS/FAC.(the effect is like scope view in Arma) BTW IRL do KA50 pilots carry binos?

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

...BTW IRL do KA50 pilots carry binos?

I think the Shkval is good enough optical sensor for surveilance and acquiring targets.

“In the A-10, it’s not unusual for a pilot to use binoculars.” This means the classic, good old binoculars? If yes it still seems funny to me... you know, you fly a multimilion $ aircraft and you use binoculars to spot targets...? LoL

I think the Shkval is good enough optical sensor for surveilance and acquiring targets.

“In the A-10, it’s not unusual for a pilot to use binoculars.” This means the classic, good old binoculars? If yes it still seems funny to me... you know, you fly a multimilion $ aircraft and you use binoculars to spot targets...? LoL

The simple is many times the best solution, yes?

IRL do KA50 pilots carry binos?

I don't think to aim peasants huts they need binocs at all.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Very good read (A-10A though):

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/catalog/books/Haun_B90.htm

And I can imagine, that binoculars are faster to deploy and not limited to forward view (or any other sensor's limit), which might come handy when aircrafts circle around potential targets or patrol in some distance in order to gain some situational awareness before entering unsafe airspace.......

basic

for translators ...

But don't they operate in pairs in CAS missions?

I mean, probably the FAC aircraft would give this check before the attack aircraft enters the target area, right?

This reminds me of the classic "you wouldn't understand! you wasn't there."

What i mean is you can describe a lot but seeing it with your own eyes first gives a better hit probability. Besides the FAC might not see the MANPAD's etc...

With the Sniper Pod, I dare say a Pair of Binoculars are a Hinderance! Read the following article - Inspects the Craters of the Moon :surprise:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/10044top.xml

Aircraft down near the ground at 86 miles? That is quite impressive, but not very surprising for a big MWIR staring FPA with decent optics.

As far as craters on the moon, those can be seen with binoculars, so not that impressive.

Still, this thing sounds like a MASSIVE improvement!!! Nice find of that article!

arrogant, realism-obsessed Falcon 4 junkie

I would have a hard time believing that the Shkval could completely negate the need for bincoulars. One, I don't know what the WFOV field size is, but it seems way too narrow for me alot of times. I would think that something like a pair of 6x32 binoculars would be a good and lightweight supplement to Shvkal in a KA-50 cockpit. Secondly, the skhval has some pretty narrow gimbal limits. Sometimes you need to look out the side! You can also "slew" your binoculars to a target faster than you can slew the skvhal, even with the HMS, and you can keep the Shvkal pointed at a target while you look at a separate target with binoculars.

If binoculars are ever implemented, PLEASE DO NOT make their field of view look like two circles joined together, like you see on movies and cartoons, and sadly, even some "simulations" that feature binoculars (thinking Silent Hunter). BINOCULAR FIELDS OF VIEW ARE CIRCULAR FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!

arrogant, realism-obsessed Falcon 4 junkie

Yeah the KA50s are lower to the ground so binos wouldn't be needed I can understand with the A-10 though since you're circling around and often would exit the gimbal limits of the sniper pod.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Exit the gimbals? Not if you're doing turns that won't drop you out of the sky. The pod will easily stay stabilized through a 60-deg bank 2-g turn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Well what do A-10 pilots use those binos for IRL I think if they have them IRL then its a good idea to have them in sim. The good thing is you would have a fixed zoom view for those binos which would help on servers that block external views.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Detection and identification of targets from medium altitudes. No longer needed when you have the pod, though they could come in handy now and then - but it has more to do with pointing freedom than exiting any gimbals. The pod is superior for holding onto a spot in a turn, the binos are only useful in a very stable maneuver.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....The pod will easily stay stabilized through a 60-deg bank 2-g turn.

That's It! A Guaranteed Hog-Killer!

Gonna knock up a 'Smokin' Hot & Nude as the Day She was Born' Billboard Mod for every Village in Theatre. Hog Pilots will be stuck in a Perpetual '60-deg bank 2-g turn' with their Peepers Glued to that MFD just waiting to be Clubbed by the Kamov's - Priceless!!

:P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's It! A Guaranteed Hog-Killer!

Gonna knock up a 'Smokin' Hot & Nude as the Day She was Born' Billboard Mod for every Village in Theatre. Hog Pilots will be stuck in a Perpetual '60-deg bank 2-g turn' with their Peepers Glued to that MFD just waiting to be Clubbed by the Kamov's - Priceless!!

:P

And while you're sat there trying to creap up on a distracted hog driver I'll sneak up on you and drop a 500lb PW right through your rotor disc into your cockpit. :D

It's GOING to happen, it's my personal mission.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL