Better PC performance...

Donut

This is pure speculation at this point, but I am thinking that the F-16 may perform better in regards to PC performance and FPS, compared to other DCS aircraft. I would think that being a smaller aircraft (less to model) and the lack of mirrors would be the biggest contributors to increased FPS. What does everyone else think?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I don't think you will see that much difference, mirrors do seem to make some difference, but its all up to system specs as well.

Hmm, interesting. Thank you for the response.

Well, I know on my end that not having to worry about mirrors will be a big boost. In both the Tomcat and Hornet, having the mirrors on will decrease FPS by 20+.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

2D/3D artist tend to squeeze a few percent over their budget, and each model becomes the new standard. Just natural evolution :).

Size doesnt matter, complexity does. But cockpit complexity wise the F-16 looks rather similar to the F-18, so I wouldnt expect much difference.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

One less MFD to render though, So that might help.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Mirrors eat around 30-40% of the fps in general and aren't even actual mirrors technically, plus they're more than useless, except for in the Tomcat dealwithit.png

But still it just doesn't look right if they're just blank and not turned away like it's done in the Hornet. Good thing the F-16 won't have that problem at all.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

... I would think that being a smaller aircraft (less to model)...

Honestly the F-16 isn't that smaller than the say the F-18. But I do think it has somewhat simpler geometry, particulary because the bug is quite complex around the intakes. The aircraft beeing say shorter than some wont really cost many polys as a section of a few meters of fuselage with no intrisinc details doesn't tipicaly take many polys to model. In fact a small detail like an antena can sometimes take as much polys to model as several square meters on the main fuselage body.

I think the F-16 in terms of general geometry complexity is about the same as the f-15 except for the two moving intakes versus 1 fixed one, one engine vs 2. But like others said its all about how crazy the modelers go on the LOD, how optimized vs on how detailed.

• 2 weeks later...

Now these days mirrors are mostly useless as you can't see backwards as their purpose is.

I am not going to have any reason admire my head movements inside cockpit, I want to see backwards!

And you can't do so with very narrow view mirrors, as many should be wide view.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.