Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

-When inside DCS, how can you use the passthrough or go to the virtual desktop to read a webpage? Is that even possible?

Press Oculus button on the right controller once to get to Oculus Dash menu from which you can select virtual desktop.

Press Oculus button twice to enable passthrough. Although this has to be enabled in Oculus settings first (can be done from Dash menus).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press Oculus button on the right controller once to get to Oculus Dash menu from which you can select virtual desktop.

Press Oculus button twice to enable passthrough. Although this has to be enabled in Oculus settings first (can be done from Dash menus).

I tried that this morning with no sucess, but it was wth my left controller. Is only possible with the right one? :/

What does oculus have against lefties? :p

The left controller has different menu button. The Oculus button on the right controller is more like "Home" button on smartphones.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It's just iron wire inside a rubber sheath, you can bend it easily even with your fingers. Small pliers however can be useful.

Thanks, I’ll look at that tonight.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Passthrough option is avaible in stable version drivers? Or only in beta?

I am ready to go.

:thumbup:

:pilotfly::pilotfly::thumbup:

Have a great day. Looks like a lot of fun heading your way

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I am ready to go.

I'd say so! congrats!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I am ready to go.

Excellent! Enjoy :pilotfly:

Dave

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I am ready to go.

:thumbup: Have big fun !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I am ready to go.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So my rift s showed up. Wanted to compare it against the vive pro, but can't get it to work. Keep getting display port errors on both my rtx2080 desktop and rtx 2060 laptop. Guess it's going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my rift s showed up. Wanted to compare it against the vive pro, but can't get it to work. Keep getting display port errors on both my rtx2080 desktop and rtx 2060 laptop. Guess it's going back.

did you update the firmware for both the HMD and controllers? try moving to another DP, and/or USB3? (after update, a reboot, etc)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah, updated all of the firmwares. Tried three different USB ports, I do get audio in the setup, just no picture. Tried all three display ports on my 2080, still nothing.

A couple of things. I had the same problem.

Make sure you allow Windows to access your camera.

I found that pulling the display port plug from the PC, wait 5 secs, plug back in, woke the headset up for me.

I know it's not a permanent fix, but lots of folks are having similar problem. Oculus are working on it.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

The headset shows connected, I can get audio from the headset. It's just the display port shows connected until I go to setup, then it stops. Everything shows green in the devices page, then setup says display port not connected but audio works.

Hi guys

I went from an Oculus Rift CV1 to the Rift S.

My IPD is 66.5

what I found out for myself using the S compared to the CV1:

Pros

Better resolution. However not as blatant as I expected.

Cons

Decreased FOV compared to CV1 (mostly due to my IPD of 66.5 I guess)

Blurry edges (also due to my IPD of 66.5 I guess)

Audio, I can confirm, is truly horrible... (but easy worked around by using headphones/earbuds)

The wearing comfort is also worse than the CV1 in my perception

The tracking is quite good but in my perception does not feel quite as direct and precise like the CV1.

In addition it was very tricky to get it working. It never worked on any of the rear USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports (always got error on sensor check). It passed the sensor check only when connected to the front panel USB 3.0 port. The Y-cable gets quite a bit under tension when to plug it in the front (USB 3.0) and rear (Displayport). Sometimes the sensor check failed on the front port too after rebooting and it took uncounted de- and re-pluggings to pass the sensor check again. The reason for that I never found out...it felt somehow more random than reproducible.

I have installed the latest Nvidia driver (430.86), the lates chipset drivers as well as the latest BIOS available for my board (GA AX370 gaming, MSI GTX 1080 TI) . OS is Windows 10.

However I am sure this hardware/software issues will be ironed out with a couple of updates...

This is not a review just my personal experience and perception which, after one week of intense using and trying, led me to the decision to return the S and to go on using the CV1 as the main criticisms (smaller FOV and blurred edges, less wearing comfort and tracking) could not be outweighted by the better resolution. I think the Rift S is really good for people in the right IPD range all others should try it out before buying if possible.

In no way I want to bash oculus and this is also only my personal experience/perception and no review. Many users use the Rift S in DCS and are absolutely happy with it.

Hi guys

My IPD is 66.5

Pros

Cons

Audio, I can confirm, is truly horrible... (but easy worked around by using headphones/earbuds)

The tracking is quite good but in my perception does not feel quite as direct and precise like the CV1.

In addition it was very tricky to get it working. It never worked on any of the rear USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ports (always got error on sensor check). It passed the sensor check only when connected to the front panel USB 3.0 port. The Y-cable gets quite a bit under tension when to plug it in the front (USB 3.0) and rear (Displayport). Sometimes the sensor check failed on the front port too after rebooting and it took uncounted de- and re-pluggings to pass the sensor check again. The reason for that I never found out...it felt somehow more random than reproducible.

I have installed the latest Nvidia driver (430.86), the lates chipset drivers as well as the latest BIOS available for my board (GA AX370 gaming, MSI GTX 1080 TI) . OS is Windows 10.

However I am sure this hardware/software issues will be ironed out with a couple of updates...

This is not a review just my personal experience and perception which, after one week of intense using and trying, led me to the decision to return the S and to go on using the CV1 as the main criticisms (smaller FOV and blurred edges, less wearing comfort and tracking) could not be outweighted by the better resolution. I think the Rift S is really good for people in the right IPD range all others should try it out before buying if possible.

In no way I want to bash oculus and this is also only my personal experience/perception and no review. Many users use the Rift S in DCS and are absolutely happy with it.

Just trying out a Rift S (rented from local company) after having the CV1 for a few years and I second all your points made above. Will be staying with my CV1 for now. IPD of 60.

Res increase is 'OK' but TBH I think with the 50% VR improvement coming for DCS allowing me to run a slghtly higher PD that will be negated. So little more Res and bit less SDE is nice, but not another NZ$700 nice.

Sound is absolutely tragic requiring you to faff around with headphones/earbuds compared to just slipping those integrated earphones over your ears with CV1.

Comfort - hmm it 'feels' ok when you put it on, but after a while it gets uncomfortable. Probably just cranking the tightening knob at the back too much. Am sure I would find a comfy setup eventually.

Unsure how this is related but I actually had quite a sore neck after using it for an hour or so flying the F-14, never even had a twinge before with the CV1 - so that was strange. Can dogfight in my CV1 for hours and feel absolutely fine.

Oh and the tighteninig knob on the back stops me from sitting upright in my race rig seat as it hits the headrest, and also catches all the time when moving my head around which was a bit of a pain.

Tracking seemed ok, but as above doesn't feel quite as crisp somehow as CV1 - but it is still way better than my experience with the O+ tracking.

Same issues with the USB ports - got it to accept a rear 3.0 port after a restart. I have installed the latest Nvidia driver (430.86).

So yeah a little disappointing really, was expecting better res increase, particularly after Wags was super excited about how readible the cockpits were now. Nothing against Wags, I believe he was referring to the F/A-18 pit/screens? - which I dont have. I just compared the readability in the F-14 pit, which as I mentioned earlier a notch or 2 more PD would have the same effect.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys

My IPD is 66.5

Pros

Cons

The tracking is quite good but in my perception does not feel quite as direct and precise like the CV1. .....

My IPD is 65 and the headband just fit my head. I got a massive improvement in comfort and I mean massive by removing the faceplate (It just pulls out) and just leaving that nose rubber in there. I was playing in this thing for 4 hours plus again last night which was unheard of with the CV1, No sweat, no pressure on the face and best of all a bigger FOV then the cv1 with it off. I can crank that thing right up to my eyeballs. I got used to the light leakage in less then 5 minutes and now don't even notice it unless I crank my eyes hard right or left just to look.

I wasn't disappointed in the resolution of this thing because I bought it on a whim because there is many months I expect before I could get an index so in short wasn't expecting much. Just bought it really because of a lot of posts here and I came across an Amazon offer that said you could have this in 2 days buy now.

The more I played with this thing the more I am loving it. Yeah I get the blurring at the edges but I no longer care as if something catches my eye my head natural turns towards it and it is clear. I don't need to take the HMD off to read the virtual desktop now, passthrough lets me see where that drink is and the cockpits of the planes are just amazing... Oh snap that is oil pressure!! Same with cars, trucks, spacships whatever sim I am playing.

Being able to turn off the labels and being able to successfully dogfight wwII fighters was what sold it for me. You get diminishing returns with range but that is the same in real life and it isn't going to be dealt with until there is foveated rendering combined with amazing panels and RTX9million graphics cards, imo not in the next few years.

I have gone from excited at launch, disappointed 10 seconds after launch, hopes pinned on the Index and then an impulse buy to very happy with this thing. For the state of the hardware we have to push these things I have come to understand I really like this thing.

This HMD isn't a quantum leap but it is a very welcome improvement,

Anyway. Pull the plate mate, you may end up liking it like me, VR time is limited to toilet breaks now ;)

Except for the sound. LOL Sennheisers ftw.

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Hello guys.

Due to that f*cking sh*t program of Windows updates, I had to sit looking on that sh*t Windows updating bar in hours before I had the chance to try out my new toys.

I began with the Oculus. Can't say I'm very impressed so far. I find it very hard to hit the sweet spot. I have an IPD of 69 (messured by an optician) so maybe that's the main reason for my problems, I don't know. When I'm in the sweet spot it looks great, but when I'm not it looks extremely blurry. More than the CV 1.

All this seems very depending of how you set the halo on your head. I have to test more Before I can give it a final verdict.

Audio is crap as many already have told. Some says it's sufficient for DCS. Not in my opinion. Although I have volume on highest level in both Oculus Home, Windows and DCS the sounds come out very muted. If I going to keep it I will have to buy a descent headphones.

The Warthog I havn't had time to try yet (due to that sh*tty Windows update).

I'll be back.:joystick: