Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I have a CV1 with I7 7700k, 32Go RAM, GTX 1080Ti 11Go and running on SSD.

Yes, we all want higher resolution in the headset.

The question are:

- how much can we handle with our hardware.

- what cost.

Sure the HP Reverb makes me dream (especially because I praise higher angular resolution more than higher FoV), but I don't know if I will be able to run it, even if I switch for RTX 2080 Ti...

We don't need the higher resolution possible, we need the higher resolution we can handle without a nitrogen cooled CPU and GPU.

+1

I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the Rift S. I get great smooth frame rates with my Rift and the last thing I want is to 'put up' with stuttering, glitches and edge of frame distortions. For the money, I'm happy with the modest upgrade and will look at a next generation in a couple of years...if i live that long :lol:

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will be buying a reverb from a store with a 30 day return policy (Microsoft store had this for my CV1, so hopefully they will for reverb)

If I can’t run reverb, I’ll return it for a Rift S.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

+1

I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the Rift S. I get great smooth frame rates with my Rift and the last thing I want is to 'put up' with stuttering, glitches and edge of frame distortions. For the money, I'm happy with the modest upgrade and will look at a next generation in a couple of years...if i live that long :lol:

Me too. I drive i7 6700k and 2070, and I think Rift s should be the right upgrade for the money and to keep a balanced system. I'll wait to see valve index too, but I prefer Oculus environment way more than steam VR.

• ED Team
Thanks for the preview Matt, Do you know if the upper camera is for controller tracking only and not headset tracking? I thought I read somewhere it was, and if that's the case I will just make a mount for PointCTRL that covers it.

Thanks,

Miles

Sorry, but I'm under NDA and can't say more.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

Thanks

Please release the updated Caucasus map...happy to wait for the others !

This is great news!

I've been watching the S because I tend to stick with products I have or have used. I'm a current Rift user and after reading your review will definitely be upgrading to the S because it is from someone actually flying DCS.

Very good news, and thanks for the review and upcoming VR improvements!!

cheers

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

10Hz Refresh rate difference isnt distinguishable, as any motion jitter would still be in the sub .1ms range.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm really waiting for the firsts in depth reviews of this device. I hope they've really managed to reduce the SDE and increase overall visual clarity. If that is the case i might buy it, otherwise i'll go hp reverb or similar, even though that won't run well on my Graphic card.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Is there a big difference between the Rift S and Pimax? Thats what I really like to know...Im at a toss up between the Rift S and the Pimax 8k at the moment.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Is there a big difference between the Rift S and Pimax? Thats what I really like to know...Im at a toss up between the Rift S and the Pimax 8k at the moment.

LOL not even the same ballpark.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

LOL not even the same ballpark.

One is $399, the other is $899. If the same ballpark means I can see a LOT more in the Pimax than the Rift S (range, clarity and detail), then Id rather just stick to the Pimax. If the difference is marginal (performance, clarity), Id rather save $500 and be satisfied enough.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

One way to describe P5K+ is that when DCS first starts up, there is a disclaimer text (I think it's a disclaimer, I don't recall the exact text) that shows up at the bottom. Where you see the modules that you own on the bottom.

Well with CV1, I can read it if I concentrate and lean in. Same was true of the original Odyssey and Vive. But with P5K+, it's extremely clear. We'll see where the S ends up on the clarity level.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't think anyone has been able to test them side by side, but on paper Rift S should offer similar clarity as pimax 5k+ and pimax 8k is not really better in this regard.

Of course pimax has much higher FOV so you WILL see a lot more (to the sides).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I don't think anyone has been able to test them side by side, but on paper Rift S should offer similar clarity as pimax 5k+ and pimax 8k is not really better in this regard.

Of course pimax has much higher FOV so you WILL see a lot more (to the sides).

Pimax 5k plus per eye = 2560x1440

Rift S = 2560 x 1440 total

So not even close in reality.

Vertical resolution looks the same tho plus oculus software is significantly better so practically the Rift may win out if FOV isn't a big deal for you. It's a big if obviously, but it will also be a lot easier to run for those without a 2080ti.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

The 2560 pixels of pimax resolution is spread across the entire large FOV.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Think of Pimax like an ultra wide monitor. You get more more viewable area on each side (albeit slightly distorted), but the pixel size is the same as other devices, and even inferior to some very high-res ones with smaller fov.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Think of Pimax like an ultra wide monitor. You get more more viewable area on each side (albeit slightly distorted), but the pixel size is the same as other devices, and even inferior to some very high-res ones with smaller fov.

Have you played DCS in P5K+?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

10Hz Refresh rate difference isnt distinguishable, as any motion jitter would still be in the sub .1ms range.

I will tell you more...

Often i use my odyssey+ in 60hz mode in order to not fall in the no motion vector part of the fps race...

Well also 60fps are not so much distinguishable....they certainly are...but less that you would think and you care about it only when you switch from a settings to the other because your brain can see the immediate difference.

I really don’t think 80hz will be really noticeable.

I plan to get the rift s and sell the odyssey+ also if the resolution is slightly lower, because I think the oculus has a better software (well if dcs will support asw2 would be really nice) and also because I think it will be easier on the PC.

I really put my hopes on that and I think that with the planned vr improvements and the vulkan engine we will be able to get full 80fps in most phases of a mix with reasonable settings and pd value

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Have you played DCS in P5K+?

Yep. It's sharper than CV1, no doubt about that.

I will tell you more...

Often i use my odyssey+ in 60hz mode in order to not fall in the no motion vector part of the fps race...

Well also 60fps are not so much distinguishable....they certainly are...but less that you would think and you care about it only when you switch from a settings to the other because your brain can see the immediate difference.

I really don’t think 80hz will be really noticeable.

I plan to get the rift s and sell the odyssey+ also if the resolution is slightly lower, because I think the oculus has a better software (well if dcs will support asw2 would be really nice) and also because I think it will be easier on the PC.

I really put my hopes on that and I think that with the planned vr improvements and the vulkan engine we will be able to get full 80fps in most phases of a mix with reasonable settings and pd value

Will the rift s has lower resolution and higher SDE than the Odyssey +? I was hoping that through new lenses and RGB display they would be pretty close.

What do you think? I guess we need to wait for in depth reviews to know.

Will the rift s has lower resolution and higher SDE than the Odyssey +? I was hoping that through new lenses and RGB display they would be pretty close.

What do you think? I guess we need to wait for in depth reviews to know.

We don’t know yet...the lenovo explorer has a similar rgb screen and with that the sde in quite unnoticeable.

The resolution will be slightly lower and definitely the antisde tech from samsung (the one present in the odyssey +) won’t be there.

But I don’t care too much about sde...i tried the rift the explorer and the odyssey + so the difference is noticeable but not so much and also the image in the odyssey is slightly blurred due to the antisde filter...

Will see the first reviews but i am positive on the rift s for now.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

One way to describe P5K+ is that when DCS first starts up, there is a disclaimer text (I think it's a disclaimer, I don't recall the exact text) that shows up at the bottom. Where you see the modules that you own on the bottom.

Well with CV1, I can read it if I concentrate and lean in. Same was true of the original Odyssey and Vive. But with P5K+, it's extremely clear. We'll see where the S ends up on the clarity level.

So glad to see others confirm this about the 5K+ because mine arrived a week ago and as it is still sitting in the box (no time to set it up yet), I read this glaring praise of the Rift S.

Started wondering if I jumped the gun :lol:

Currently I have a CV1

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One is $399, the other is $899. If the same ballpark means I can see a LOT more in the Pimax than the Rift S (range, clarity and detail), then Id rather just stick to the Pimax. If the difference is marginal (performance, clarity), Id rather save $500 and be satisfied enough.

Totally fair. And I'll add to that Pimax performance leaves alot to be desired at the moment, whereas the RiftS will be a drop in replacement for the Rift.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So glad to see others confirm this about the 5K+ because mine arrived a week ago and as it is still sitting in the box (no time to set it up yet), I read this glaring praise of the Rift S.

Started wondering if I jumped the gun :lol:

Currently I have a CV1

Well you kinda did, I think the new 2160x2160 headsets coming out soon are going to be better than the riftS and pimax clarity wise.