Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

How are people finding the headphone amp in the S? My Etymotic HF5s sound terrible. At any reasonable volume, there is distortion, especially with bass frequencies.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after some further testing I found out I need to where my readers when using the S. I'm not sure why that is as I don't need them with the CV1. After figuring this out I flew for several hours online and it is an overall much cleaner image. I only need to lean slightly in to see the color map in the Hornet on the MPCD and make out the symbology and markings. That's a huge improvement as before I would need to zoom in to see and read it. So as far as image goes it's definitely an upgrade. However, as far as replacing the CV1 as the unit I'll use for the next 2 years hopefully, this won't cut it. If I didn't have to shell out another $400 it'd be great lol. But since I do, I'll probably return it and spend a bit more for the Index. I do not dig the halo head mount at all. It simply isn't as secure as the catchers mask style mount. Also the speakers are lacking which I already knew. Even though I can wear my headset fairly comfortably it's a pain in the ass when I need to alt tab. Lastly, the FOV seems smaller than the CV1. That more than anything is a deal breaker. I wish I'd had this in the beginning though as it has a much better image.

I guess the focal distance has changed just enough. For me, although I'm near sigthed, I've always had to wear my glasses. The focal distance was far enough out that it mattered.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Been playing the Rift-S on my second gaming rig which only has a 1070 card, and during a session of RoboRecall (I love that game), I had the same split instant of garbage on the screen as I get from time to time in DCS. This time it looked more like a flurry of colored boxes like you might get in the old days when your VGA cable wasn't installed all the way. Looking forward to the first batch of patches from Oculus.

In other news, I am getting used to the halo design and getting more used to the fit. I did take off the entire top strap but I am thinking of reattaching it to aid a bit in vertical stability as sometimes with jerky or fast head motion I do have to readjust it slightly.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that even with this gaming rig and its 1070 and I7 9600K running at only 4.7Ghz I am still getting a solid 40+ FPS in DCS with pretty middle of the road settings. I never thought I could reliably play in VR on this rig but so far its doing really well.

I think for those with less than killer gaming rigs, the Rift-S really scales well!

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

How are people finding the headphone amp in the S? My Etymotic HF5s sound terrible. At any reasonable volume, there is distortion, especially with bass frequencies.

Mine is sounding awesome with my Klipsch R6 II earbuds.

I was very pleased with the results using them.

I do prefer the in ear solution though which is why I chose them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Been playing the Rift-S on my second gaming rig which only has a 1070 card, and during a session of RoboRecall (I love that game), I had the same split instant of garbage on the screen as I get from time to time in DCS. This time it looked more like a flurry of colored boxes like you might get in the old days when your VGA cable wasn't installed all the way. Looking forward to the first batch of patches from Oculus.

In other news, I am getting used to the halo design and getting more used to the fit. I did take off the entire top strap but I am thinking of reattaching it to aid a bit in vertical stability as sometimes with jerky or fast head motion I do have to readjust it slightly.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that even with this gaming rig and its 1070 and I7 9600K running at only 4.7Ghz I am still getting a solid 40+ FPS in DCS with pretty middle of the road settings. I never thought I could reliably play in VR on this rig but so far its doing really well.

I think for those with less than killer gaming rigs, the Rift-S really scales well!

Madmatt

Just curious, do you use the shader mod as well?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Madmatt

Hmmm, just a minor comment: 9600K @ 4.7GHz is about one of the fastest CPU available for single threaded applications... which DCS is almost. Fastest single thread CPUs are @ 5GHz with good watercooling. So less than 10% faster than your 9600K.

Therefore it's not such a big surprise that DCS runs fine. :)

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I just discovered that the Rift S doesn't work in the dark. That, along with the lack of audio isolation means I can no longer do VR sessions after the wife goes to bed. Bummer, but probably still worth the upgrade in visual clarity!

I just discovered that the Rift S doesn't work in the dark. That, along with the lack of audio isolation means I can no longer do VR sessions after the wife goes to bed. Bummer, but probably still worth the upgrade in visual clarity!
Yea without external sensors it needs light in the room to track properly. So if you ever have weird tracking issues where it slides you to a certain position, more light helps those cameras.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Tip - go to Settings->Experiment and enable double click Oculus button to get pass through on demand, I find it very handy.

By the way, I clocked about 6 hours today in DCS and I am still really happy with clarity. I never treated Cv1 as something I can spend 6 hours flying DCS in...

Try some IR lighting?

The headset has 3.5 mm jack in.

Did someone try Rift S controllers using in the cockpit? What is the difference from CV1 touch controllers in DCS usage?

They work pretty much identically.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Just curious, do you use the shader mod as well?

No, I don't use it.

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

No, I don't use it.

thanks man, with your rig setup I figured not. Just wanted to confirm. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just get some IR lightbulb and problem solved.

They work pretty much identically.

I'm just thinking to use PVC pipe as a stand for controllers on your chair. When you using HOTAS controllers are stuck in pipes in a way like it is on those VR guns made from PVC pipes. When you want to use your hands just reach for it, left or right, interact with the cockpit, stick it back to stand and grab your stick or throttle. Controllers are always on the same spot ready to be used again when it is needed. smartass.gif

I'm just thinking to use PVC pipe as a stand for controllers on your chair. When you using HOTAS controllers are stuck in pipes in a way like it is on those VR guns made from PVC pipes. When you want to use your hands just reach for it, left or right, interact with the cockpit, stick it back to stand and grab your stick or throttle. Controllers are always on the same spot ready to be used again when it is needed. smartass.gif

I have an L shaped desk, with a small table on the other side of my chair for the throttle. I just place the controllers on the surfaces right next to my stick and throttle, very easy to find when I need them.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I picked one up from Microcenter. Even though the clarity is better, I'm still on the fence. I'm not sure if it's worth the money for an upgrade. The audio is horrible. I don't know what they were thinking by not just using the CV1 earphones. I'll take these next few days to do more testing. I don't have that sense of height when inside the Hornet or Tomcat so I'll keeping tweaking my rift setup.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

The thing where Oculus beats everybody , especially steamvr.

Is the dash interface, don't take the HMD off to alt tab grab the right controller and open dash, and open your desktop view.

With the s it's so much clearer I think I could use it for working.

Also enable the Pass through cam in dash settings/experimental.

If you switch to steamvr know they haven't solved the hotas controller bug yet that renders the entire steamvr UI completely unresponsive if you have a joystick device connected.

I have tried all the workarounds but to no avail.

If you ask valve about it their official stance to the issue "unplug your hotas"...

That's good to know about SteamVR even though as an Oculus user I already hated it lol. Nothing beats the smoothness of Oculus' native integration to DCS, or the software in general. That's another reason I didn't keep the Odyssey. Steam, steam vr, WMR and Bluetooth just to get the graphics to the HMD is a lot of failure points. With the Rift, I fired up DCS and there it was! Well, except turning off the damn controllers.

Sadly though, I can't use the S as much as I'd like to. At 48 I wear readers to read but otherwise my vision is excellent from just past the reach of my arms outward lol. Without the readers in the S I can't get a clear picture. When using readers I can't get the headset to line up and stay that way. It was making me slightly nauseous. I put the CV1 back on and even though the picture isn't anywhere near as good its better than the S all around for me. I only hope I don't experience the same thing in all of the new HMD's.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Damn this is a rather interesting thread. Before I read it, I wasn’t at all interested in upgrading to the S, as I wasn’t convinced it was a big enough step forward in the clarity. Given what I had read on other sites.

However after reading all the posts on here, you sods are gonna cost me money me thinks. :smilewink::smilewink:

I love the CV1, but only use it for transit flights or just messing about in the Huey as I just cannot read any mfds or spot any targets whatsoever with it. But by the sounds of things, it does sound like the S has solved this issue or at the very least significantly improved it.

That in itself is enough reason for me to upgrade. I’m a huge believer that VR headsets are the future of our hobby, but we are just waiting on the resolution and clarity to become usable.

It also sounds like my other main concern about them using internal tracking only, is a none issue. Certainly it sounds like it’s working as well as it did with the external sensors for you guys, apart from the annoying requirement of now having to have a light on. I always game in the dark.

The sound is meh, I never use the internal speakers of the Rift anyway, so as long as I can still wear my 5.1 headset I’ll be happy.

Only issue is, it’s sold out everywhere around me, but it just so happens to be in stock, where I’m off on holiday tomorrow. :pilotfly:

Think my bro will be happy as well, as he will suddenly find himself with the option of using VR in DCS, as he Inherits all my old sim stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Yeah, in terms of visual clarity, we've moved from "barely usable" on CV1 to "actually usable" on the S, though it's still not super pretty.

Fitting a big headphones with the Rift S may be a problem due to big plastic halo on top of your head. Some models will fit, some won't, may even change from person to person.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yeah, in terms of visual clarity, we've moved from "barely usable" on CV1 to "actually usable" on the S, though it's still not super pretty.

Fitting a big headphones with the Rift S may be a problem due to big plastic halo on top of your head. Some models will fit, some won't, may even change from person to person.

I used the Rift CV1 for 3 years when I had the choice of that, a Track IR Pro, or 3 screens. So your views are clearly unrepresentative at best, and utterly incorrect at worst. To say something is unusable when it isn't is unhelpful and deceptive. How can you expect people to take your opinions seriously when you are so dismissive?

The CV1 was a compromise, absolutely. Small text was difficult to read, yes. But then again, so is trying to pretend to fly combat sorties from the comfort of your spare room. Utterly impossible in fact if we are to take your opinions seriously.

Point out shortcomings, but avoid unreasonable and sweeping statements that you must know to be wrong, please!

Try John Lewis for delivery, got mine next day on Friday (uk)

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.