Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I wonder how many headsets this thread alone has sold :D Mine comes in tomorrow. Thankfully my new job allows me to work from home so I'll be here to get it.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 64mm IPD, should be ok I guess...
I'm 65, and it's ok when positioning correctly the headset. Just slightly more blurry along the left/right edges of the Fov.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

okay okay, i can't take it anymore. I just placed my order for one at a BestBuy 20 miles from here (only one that still had them in stock). I should get it in less than a hour. Full report forthcoming.

Madmatt

Ha! nice, and congrats! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My ipd is about 70mm, so I stopped by Microsoft store today to test Rift S. The long story short is - you can't go against physics, if your ipd is not 63.5 then it won't match to the one on the headset. What I did is the following: closed my left eye, moved hmd slightly around to make sure the sweet spot is at a center for my right eye - a perfect picture. Then closed the right eye, opened the left one, and see how far the sweet spot is off from the center. Yeah, I guess for those with exact 63.5 it is perfect, for anybody else it is worse. How worse - depends on how far yours is off. Basically, for those with the higher numbers the sweet spot moves towards the nose, and for anything less than 63.5 it goes outwards.

Did you use the software to adjust the ipd?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Did you use the software to adjust the ipd?

No, but even the sales guy at the store confirmed it won't fix a sweet spot issue.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I ordered one at my local bestbuy too. After reading this thread...

Picking it up tomorrow night though after dinner down that way with the family.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I ordered one at my local bestbuy too. After reading this thread...

Picking it up tomorrow night though after dinner down that way with the family.

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My headset visuals have just started crashing to grey DCS keeps running and it is tracking but I lose video feed in the headset. I was getting very occasional white flashes on the screen now my headset is disconnecting from the display port.

Reset it all different port anyone else seeing this.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

wormeaten. Tell me exactly what ya want and I'll do it for you

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, thanks to all of you, I've ordered mine from Newegg. It will be here either this weekend or Tuesday. Coming from a Rift, and trying out the Rift S at the Microsoft Store, I was pretty happy with it. Looked like the SDE was pretty much gone, even when I was looking for it. I'm sure I'll find it at some point, especially spotting in DCS, but It was a lot less noticeable than the original Rift that is my current headset.

Really looking forward to flying in it!

wormeaten. Tell me exactly what ya want and I'll do it for you

I'd like to see examples of the MFD's for the Hornet (especially the center MFCD with the map) and A-10C, as well as some of the more obscure gauges and dials that are normally pretty hard to make out in a standard Rift or Vive, as well as spotting ground and air targets at variable distances (1nm out to limit of visual range for example). A view of the meatball from the hornet at 3/4 mile would be nice too, to see how spotting the ball is on a case 1 recovery. I know I'm not wormeaten, but I figure these things might be similar to what he's wanting to see.

OK Echo if I can get it running again I will jump on it. I came home and booted up DCS, but after about 10 seconds the screen in the S went blank. Couldn't even get back to Oculus home page. Rebooting same thing. Googled and found the Oculus forum below, lots of people having the same issue.

I'll keep trying because I'm sure it's something simple that is eluding me

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/75652/issue-with-my-new-rift-s-problem-with-display

Cap'n Penguin

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You guys are a bad influence

Your order has been processed, and is preparing for shipping! For your convenience, here is a copy of your final invoice

Now the long wait ... no retail stores in Aus, have to wait for delivery.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

My headset visuals have just started crashing to grey DCS keeps running and it is tracking but I lose video feed in the headset. I was getting very occasional white flashes on the screen now my headset is disconnecting from the display port.

Reset it all different port anyone else seeing this.

I have had occasional white flashes. I assume Oculus and or Nvidia will fix that soon, its not often, maybe once or twice a mission.

Not sure what you mean by crashing to grey. If you do Passthrough the video goes grey to see outside via camera in front, are you talking about that? If so you may have a button assigned to the Passthrough command.

OK here's the skinny. The S is working. I rebooted and can toodle around in the house or in other aps. As soon as I start DCS, it loads and then the Mig appears in the hanger for maybe a second and DCS shuts off. No warning, no alarms it just shuts down and the Oculus goes "grey" It's still on, white internal light and you can tell there is power to the screen as it's not black like when you first put it on. It's kinda... grey. but it's also kinda... dead.

Takes a reboot to get it to do anything and as soon as I launch DCS, wash, rinse repeat. I changed nothing from last night which is what baffles me.

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh well. :). DCS is running I can move the headset around and it moves on the screen and everything but there is no video being fed to the headset from DCS. Audio is playing the little DCS song but no video. Runs fine in other aps but DCS nadda. So weird :).

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems there is a bug regarding turning Oculus home off after a session and back on and not getting anything on the screen. Reboot only thing that fixes it for me. Also, looks like it wants to see your sensors or it is not happy and wont cooperate. So keep them handy for starting I guess.

I dont mind this so much right now cuz you can leave home open and running between sessions.

But certainly dont want to have to reboot rather than it just run normally.

One would think that with so many users seeing this... they would also have seen this in testing.

That said, runs great for me in DCS. Just had an awesome session doing Carrier work.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Oh well. :). DCS is running I can move the headset around and it moves on the screen and everything but there is no video being fed to the headset from DCS. Audio is playing the little DCS song but no video. Runs fine in other aps but DCS nadda. So weird :).

I have the same issue if I launch DCS from within Oculus Home and did before with my Rift CV1 too so its not specific to the Rift-S.

My solution has been to always launch DCS with the DCS Updater Utility by Skatezilla and click the VR/ON button. When I do that, DCS launches fine. Give that a shot.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Ok that's exactly what happened to me I did get 1 error message of the display port disconnected.

Changed port and it ran fine fr 40 no idea what's going on really as I rebooted t exactly the same problem a coupe of times

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hmmmmmmmm. So I just played a little Elite Dangerous, Subnautica and some horrific Oculus thing called Navy Aces. All ran beautifully. Clicked DCS and as soon as the Mig gear appeared. Boop. DCS stopped. I'll try that Skatezilla thing.

Set up Skatezilla. Booted DCS and I got to the menu with the climaxing cymbols start playing and then BAM. All black and DCS locked up. After about 15 seconds I could move the headset and it was moving on the screen as if it was working but still not video on the S.

It's no biggie. I'll take it back tomorrow and go back to the old trusty Rift :)

Edited by Cap'n Penguin

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]