Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Doesn't have to be a full review, we just want to know about how it performs with DCS really, although I must admit I'm curious about other sims too.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who are worried about black levels vs the old rift.

Well I obviously don't have an S.

But if it is comparable with the screens in the pimax. This should likely not be an issue.

Black levels are fine, even when watching a movie in bigscreen void.

Only game I sort of notice it is in elite dangerous but it's more like that game has issues with gamma and not so much panels.

Granted I haven't tested a night mission yet, I should do that tomorrow.

Also the rift oled panels do not go black either unless you disable the pre driving and anti smear with the spudtool registry hack.

If you haven't modified the registry yourself with this there is hardly any difference black levels whatsoever.

Also got an s pre order in for may 22.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I am very tempted to give the Rift S a shot, the Reverb looks great as far as resolution but since we are not the market HP is aiming for I am afraid there will be hiccups getting it to work well in DCS, and whether a reasonable system can get good frames in DCS is another big if. So I think I'll sell my CV1, order an S, and if something greatly better comes along I can always sell the S and upgrade again.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I am very tempted to give the Rift S a shot, the Reverb looks great as far as resolution but since we are not the market HP is aiming for I am afraid there will be hiccups getting it to work well in DCS, and whether a reasonable system can get good frames in DCS is another big if. So I think I'll sell my CV1, order an S, and if something greatly better comes along I can always sell the S and upgrade again.....

Good choice. We are not in a position yet hardware wise to run those ultra high resolution headsets in dcs yet. So the Rift S should be a winner for now

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Does anyone know if you will be able to assign a keybind to the "pass through" mode on the Rift S? It sure would be handy to be able to hit a button on the stick and be able to find my beer on the desk!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I agree, I think there is a big question mark over how well the Reverb might work in sims. Due to the minimum spec being the same as CV1, it seems the Rift S will work at least as well, but WMR seems a bit less certain. We will see soon.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Does anyone know if you will be able to assign a keybind to the "pass through" mode on the Rift S? It sure would be handy to be able to hit a button on the stick and be able to find my beer on the desk!!
This is a very good question, but i can't find an answer anywhere...

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Well if it’s like the odyssey + it will probably be on the hand controller which is perfectly fine as I am one of the few that fully uses the hand controllers in the pit instead of the mouse.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Probably not as I doubt the Oculus software will have this function - though certainly would be nice to have.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Probably not as I doubt the Oculus software will have this function - though certainly would be nice to have.
Passthrough on oculus is confirmed and seems work by a double tap on oculus button on the stick. Readed today on a review on pc gamer if i remember well the source ..

Passthrough on oculus is confirmed and seems work by a double tap on oculus button on the stick. Readed today on a review on pc gamer if i remember well the source ..

I was referring to having the ability to assign pass through to a button on HOTAS or keybind.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Jason Rubin said recently that the pass through wouldn't immediately be available to third party devs, but likely in the future.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I was referring to having the ability to assign pass through to a button on HOTAS or keybind.
If they bind to a key button probably we can find a way to bind to hotas, maybe by simulating keypress.
Jason Rubin said recently that the pass through wouldn't immediately be available to third party devs, but likely in the future.
Or simply, this one

I always agree when it's a beer matter, but this should be also useful to read briefings or to write down jtac informations.

but way too much money $1000.00

Not really , provided you only use it for simming . Then you're looking at $650 ., and even less if you buy a used lighthouse on Ebay . I'm keeping an open mind about both the Rift S and the Index until i read some DCS reviews . I would like to see some direct YouTube comparisons of graphics quality as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes , for sit-down simming , 1 lighthouse would be sufficient , as one sensor is for the CV1 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes , for sit-down simming , 1 lighthouse would be sufficient , as one sensor is for the CV1 .

If I were decide to go with the Index, I would just go kit and caboodle with the whole shebang.

Luckily I have not and have a few months now to see if the Rift S keeps me happy.

I am hoping it will.

:smilewink:

Don B

If I were decide to go with the Index, I would just go kit and caboodle with the whole shebang.

Luckily I have not and have a few months now to see if the Rift S keeps me happy.

I am hoping it will.

:smilewink:

Yes , it would be the correct option for you , as you also enjoy VR gaming , as well as simming . My pc , on the other hand , has nothing but DCS , and support for it , loaded . So one sensor works for me . As an aside , I have been considering loading that other sim located on a Russian map , as its WW2 emphasis and simpler cockpits offer the potential for better VR performance .

To that end , i have been taking a break from flying my beloved Hornet and have been testing the TF-51 . Gotta say it's a blast to fly ! Lots and lots of trimming , instant acceleration , and simplistic nav all take me back to the basics . I was navigating by tree-shadows yesterday while getting the compass sorted on a flight from Tblisi to Batumi . (The 51 does not have a vr-friendly cockpit , with tiny switch lettering) The last 30 miles or so was flying the familiar canyons into Batumi , followed by what would have been a greased landing - IF i had remembered to invert the toe-brake axes in the controls setup for the TF-51 :) Sure felt foolish rocking back onto the tailwheel while viewing a bent prop !

Maybe I'll forego that other sim after all . There is a lot to be said for knowing the territory over which you're flying in a warbird , and the simpler aircraft showed better vr performance .

Looking forward to your comprehensive review of the Rift S :) please !

Yes , it would be the correct option for you , as you also enjoy VR gaming , as well as simming . My pc , on the other hand , has nothing but DCS , and support for it , loaded . So one sensor works for me . As an aside , I have been considering loading that other sim located on a Russian map , as its WW2 emphasis and simpler cockpits offer the potential for better VR performance .

To that end , i have been taking a break from flying my beloved Hornet and have been testing the TF-51 . Gotta say it's a blast to fly ! Lots and lots of trimming , instant acceleration , and simplistic nav all take me back to the basics . I was navigating by tree-shadows yesterday while getting the compass sorted on a flight from Tblisi to Batumi . (The 51 does not have a vr-friendly cockpit , with tiny switch lettering) The last 30 miles or so was flying the familiar canyons into Batumi , followed by what would have been a greased landing - IF i had remembered to invert the toe-brake axes in the controls setup for the TF-51 :) Sure felt foolish rocking back onto the tailwheel while viewing a bent prop !

Maybe I'll forego that other sim after all . There is a lot to be said for knowing the territory over which you're flying in a warbird , and the simpler aircraft showed better vr performance .

Looking forward to your comprehensive review of the Rift S :) please !

Will be most glad to when I get my grubby paws on it!

I have already purchased earphones for it to be ready - pretty sure I would not

be much on the audio strap it comes with.

I have been using the Oculus Earbuds which are in ear, kind of spoiled with that now so that is why I wanted similar for the Rift S.

BTW I enjoy flying the Spit in DCS over Normandy, lots of fun.

Don B

Will be most glad to when I get my grubby paws on it!

I have already purchased earphones for it to be ready - pretty sure I would not

be much on the audio strap it comes with.

I have been using the Oculus Earbuds which are in ear, kind of spoiled with that now so that is why I wanted similar for the Rift S.

The sound quality is my biggest worry with the S. Even the 'polite' reviews based on Oculus supplying free review units early have noted the step back in sound quality and quickly moved on. Once we get the 'Oh no Oculus ruined my life and is evil' type reviews where people have spent their own money on the unit we'll maybe get a different point of view. I just can't see how their solution can deliver acceptable sound quality given the current state of the laws of physics.

I found these clip on units for PSVR,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0735X5M4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I think might ease the pain before Oculus give in and release a decent audio solution.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the Rift S overall, as the biggest improvement seems to be visual clarity whilst keeping performance and compatibility the same. Now we know that the Reverb won't reach the UK for some time yet, running the S will do the job in the short term.