DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

The question has been asked before, and the truth is that those who could answer you probably won't (Secret) and the rest of us don't really know.

Speculation: Better optical detectors and processing capabilities, potentially multi-target detection and track (think of it as TWS for IR) and possibly other goodies.

what are the differences between the litening and the sniper pods? and why was the litening pod choosen? i am not complaining, just wondering. totally stoked about having a pod on a tank killer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

what are the differences between the litening and the sniper pods? and why was the litening pod choosen? i am not complaining, just wondering. totally stoked about having a pod on a tank killer.

That all depends which LITENING pod version you are referring to, LITENING II is modelled in A-10C. SNIPER XR is comparable to LITENING III in terms of differences from previous generations it's mostly resolution, processing power and optical improvements. Obviously what I know of the specific advances would either be classified, or in the grey area I'm not comfortable going into on a public forum.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I think they said they're modelling the AT version which AFAIK is the newest and is comparable to the Sniper XR. From what I've read it's got multi target queueing capability and a higher resolution for longer range designation and ID. Is the LITENING III the same as the LITENING G4 (gen4)? I didn't see anything on the LITENING III when I was searching just the G4.

I think they said they're modelling the AT version which AFAIK is the newest and is comparable to the Sniper XR.

Yes, according to Wags in:

http://www.gamingshogun.com/Article/7060/DCS__A-10C_Producer_Interview_-_Exclusive_Screenshots.html

For DCS: A-10C we have instead decided to model the Lightning II AT targeting pod in great detail.
Which seems quite advanced:

...The newest version, LITENING AT, is in production and was fielded in 2003. It further extends target detection and recognition ranges, improves the target coordinate generation accuracy, and provides multi-target cueing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LITENING

Datasheet (for people with wiki-phobia)

http://www.es.northropgrumman.com/solutions/litening/assets/LITENING_AT.pdf

Regards!

Edited by amalahama
  • Like 1

It's not, LITENING III is used by Typhoon and Tornado, and we use SNIPER XR on the Harrier. It is indeed LITENING II AT in A-10, not sure if the G4 is the same as III I've never heard of LITENING G4, but it could just be it's international name.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Could be that G4 and III are the same thing then, we only got III into service last year.

Spoiler

• ED Team

Multi-target cueing will be not provided in our implementation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

My understanding is that the pod modeled (LITENING II) does not have this capability.

Multi-target cueing will be not provided in our implementation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team
My understanding is that the pod modeled (LITENING II) does not have this capability.

In fact it does. Or.. it did starting from a particular pod OFP version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, understood - sounds like software upgrade. I suppose in that case we're just dealing with old pod version ;)

In fact it does. Or.. it did starting from a particular pod OFP version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Ah, understood - sounds like software upgrade. I suppose in that case we're just dealing with old pod version ;)

That is correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not strictly an A-10 question, but any word how Wags is getting on?

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Will there be inocent people that we can place on the map for the use of no shoots. this will make for the use of smart weapons near and in citys. You know what I mean and want.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Will there be inocent people that we can place on the map for the use of no shoots. this will make for the use of smart weapons near and in citys. You know what I mean and want.

A third, Civilian, Faction (Aircraft+ Other Units) has been a requested since the early days of LO. It could make for more interesting and realistic missions.

Nate

Will INS Draft be modelled? Will OAT gauge be functional in A-10C?

Regards!

INS drift shouldnt really be a player as the A-10C has an EGI which uses a GNSS embedded in an inertial which has 0 drift unless you have no GNSS reception.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Another question, Will there be any sort of in-game ACMI and/or gun cam recording that is built into the sim?

Also, what kind of air to air engagement modes will we be able to use on the A-10C? I assume with no radar it will be limited, but the A-10A's method of engagement with the AIM-9's is fickle, and I am wondering if we will have options for the missile to keep a lock if a target goes outside of the bore sight, but is still within the missile's seeker limits.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

• ED Team
INS drift shouldnt really be a player as the A-10C has an EGI which uses a GNSS embedded in an inertial which has 0 drift unless you have no GNSS reception.

Anyway we hope to implement it cause sattelites can be lost. The best way would be to implement both components - GPS and INS integrated by a Kalman filter. Will see..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guessing that you are coming from FC2 - realistic engagement methods are far more usable. The real missile for example tracks happily within its seeker gimbals which are about 40 deg on a side for the 9M.

Also, what kind of air to air engagement modes will we be able to use on the A-10C? I assume with no radar it will be limited, but the A-10A's method of engagement with the AIM-9's is fickle, and I am wondering if we will have options for the missile to keep a lock if a target goes outside of the bore sight, but is still within the missile's seeker limits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Out of curiosity, are Kalman loops difficult to implement? It was my understanding that they usually work better in hardware than in software, but I could easily be wrong.

Anyway we hope to implement it cause sattelites can be lost. The best way would be to implement both components - GPS and INS integrated by a Kalman filter. Will see..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]