Really starting to get annoyed with all the crashing

MobiSev

Constant crashing whenever STT locking in multiplayer with no end in sight...

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Please tell me you have found the problem HB...

Edited by MobiSev
clarifying which game mode the crashing occurs

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Thank you for reporting this guys.

Jester should not cause any crashes in SP anymore, that has been fixed.

Here is the main problem with the PAL/STT related crash reports: they seem very rare, and so far none of the testers, nor the majority of online players we know have been able to reproduce it or are getting it in this sense. Hence why I am thinking if it is maybe something else. That does not mean that we want to stop looking for it on our side, but it still needs to be considered as a possibility:

1. Did you recently install/ uninstall DCS, or did you not update in a longer time and then updated, or did you install a module just recently, in short: is it possible a corrupt download might be at fault?

2. Did you try running a repair in DCS?

3. Do you have or did you have any mods installed recently? Uninstalled mods can leave orphaned files in folders and still cause issues.

4. What are your exact system specs?

5. Does it happen every time, or just sporadically, randomly?

7. Are you running any kind of programs in the back ground?

8. Last but not least (might seem obsolete but happened to me as well, before): Is your DCS up to date with the latest version?

I am not saying this has to be on your side, it could very well still be on ours or both even. But the more surrounding circumstances we know, the more likely we will find a cause. Hence, if you could be so kind and answer these questions, that would help a lot. Thank you very much and our sincere apologies for all your inconveniences.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thank you for reporting this guys.

Jester should not cause any crashes in SP anymore, that has been fixed.

Here is the main problem with the PAL/STT related crash reports: they seem very rare, and so far none of the testers, nor the majority of online players we know have been able to reproduce it or are getting it in this sense. Hence why I am thinking if it is maybe something else. That does not mean that we want to stop looking for it on our side, but it still needs to be considered as a possibility:

1. Did you recently install/ uninstall DCS, or did you not update in a longer time and then updated, or did you install a module just recently, in short: is it possible a corrupt download might be at fault?

2. Did you try running a repair in DCS?

3. Do you have or did you have any mods installed recently? Uninstalled mods can leave orphaned files in folders and still cause issues.

4. What are your exact system specs?

5. Does it happen every time, or just sporadically, randomly?

7. Are you running any kind of programs in the back ground?

8. Last but not least (might seem obsolete but happened to me as well, before): Is your DCS up to date with the latest version?

I am not saying this has to be on your side, it could very well still be on ours or both even. But the more surrounding circumstances we know, the more likely we will find a cause. Hence, if you could be so kind and answer these questions, that would help a lot. Thank you very much and our sincere apologies for all your inconveniences.

I dont play single player too much.

People might not be posting crash reports due to the fact that it does not produce one. It's just a straight CTD with no error message or anything. Most seem to post in threads that have already been started. See link below.

As far as i know, this is extremely common in MP...at least in all the servers I join. Crashing is mainly associated with STT locking with jester. There has been a patch relating to this, and it fixed it in some cases, but it still happens a lot (the server I play on requires people to be in voice chat, so I constantly hear about crashing in the 14). Also, the crashing does not produce a crash report, just straight CTD. See the thread below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239002

But to answer your questions:

1. No, I update every time a patch is released, and I have not recently uninstalled/reinstalled

2. I will try this, but I have played with others who have done this and still experience the crashes.

3. No mods installed

4. My system specs:

Graphics: AMD RX 480 8 GB

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

CPU: i5 7600K, 3.80 GHz

5. It does not happen EVERY time, but it happens often enough where it's an issue. Sometimes I can go a relatively long time without crashing, sometimes it crashes extremely often. Others are having the same problem: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=239002

7. Discord? Nothing that should really interfere

8. Same as #1

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

I dont have this problem with human rio, with jester iam crashing with PAL and hard locking targets, if there is human rio, he crashes all the time while we use PAL to lock a target.

It's really weird. Sometimes I can play long periods of time with Jester when I can lock in PAL/STT with no problems at all. Other times, as soon as jester STT locks, I CTD. It might have something to do with the jester sound files?

Modules owned:

This really seems to be a weird problem, I never, ever had a single crash using PAL/STT in both SP and MP.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

This really seems to be a weird problem, I never, ever had a single crash using PAL/STT in both SP and MP.

In MP, do you use a human RIO or Jester? Because I also never crash when using a human RIO....although the RIO sometimes will...

Also, how often do you play MP?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

Thank you for your detailed reply, MobiSev!

Yes, it is odd indeed. On top it is possible that the STT/Lock does not really have to do anything with it, but something else happening at the same time, and it just looks like that, it would not be the first time. As much as we try, we cannot reproduce it at all. :-(

We thought that ground clutter might be an issue, tried that, but still nothing. But it is not even like we cannot reproduce is consistently, we don't get a single crash with that scenario.

I wonder if it has something to with the length of playing as well. That it just "tips over" at some point, and an STT lock being event aiding in that.

We're really sorry about it, but rest assured that we will keep hunting for a solution. Thank you for your input.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

In MP, do you use a human RIO or Jester? Because I also never crash when using a human RIO....although the RIO sometimes will...

Also, how often do you play MP?

Mainly Jester, but only rarely in MP, maybe two times a week: still - none so far.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Using the Operation Persian Gauntlet campaigns first mission it is rather easy to reproduce a crash, it does that 2 out of three times I fly it (and for others as well, read the campaign thread). Indeed I did not report a crash report as none is generated nor is there anything special in the log. In the Windows event viewer an access violation is reported. This is in SP by the way.

Kind regards, Marcel

Thank you for your detailed reply, MobiSev!

Yes, it is odd indeed. On top it is possible that the STT/Lock does not really have to do anything with it, but something else happening at the same time, and it just looks like that, it would not be the first time. As much as we try, we cannot reproduce it at all. :-(

We thought that ground clutter might be an issue, tried that, but still nothing. But it is not even like we cannot reproduce is consistently, we don't get a single crash with that scenario.

I wonder if it has something to with the length of playing as well. That it just "tips over" at some point, and an STT lock being event aiding in that.

We're really sorry about it, but rest assured that we will keep hunting for a solution. Thank you for your input.

How are you testing it, if you don't mind me asking (how many testers per session, how long, etc.)? Could it have something to do with really populated servers? i.e. you might not have crashing if you are testing with only a couple people, but heavy servers might be different?

A lot of information is calculated when you lock someone, get locked, etc. and it might have something to do with information overload causing a crash when there are many players in a server? As I've said before, there are times where I as well as people I know (people with pretty high end computers) go long periods of time without crashing before it starts to get bad again. Almost everyone I play with has crashing problems in the 14. I've noticed in my experience during the "non-crash" periods that it will sometimes stutter briefly when initially STT locking. Maybe this is an indication of this or information you can find useful?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

Im having the same issues in Multiplayer.

1. I uninstalled the F14 and reinstalled it. Did not have the time to fully reinstall DCS (takes quite a while to reinstalll all modules and maps again)

2. I did run a repair. Nothing was found.

3. I have a few custom cockpit mods for other modules but they should not interfere with the F14 (just visuals)

4. I7 7700K 4,5GHz, GTX 1060 6GB Vram, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD with DCS on it

5. Pretty much happens everytime i fly the F14. When is random, sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. It always happens when i use the PAL mode. It picks up a target, gets it locked and 1 second later i get booted to the dektop, no logfile, nothing. DCS just instantly crashes back to desktop.

Sometimes it only affects my RIO. After locking someone up in PAL my RIO crashes to desktop. Afterwards i usually cant use my radar anymore as its more or less stuck.

Sadly i do not have recordings of it or any track files. I try to get one if it happens again.... but it usually just crashes directly back to the desktop...

7. Just Discord and Simple Radio

8. Yes, up to date.

Hope you guys find the issue.... really frustrating especially if you fly in Multiplayer and other people "depend" on you doing your job and you get randomly booted back to the desktop ^^

Happened to me again just now.

This has happened multiple times on the same SP mission.

Freshly started DCS and mission.

Flying SP mission, Caucasus. (Mission file attached to this post.)

Just started up. Took off from carrier, flew to AO. WPT1.

Have Gun selected

Press PAL lock with an enemy helicopter in sights.

Instant CTD, no errors.

Log file does not indicate any crash error, but can be supplied on request.

Latest DCS.

No mods.

No programs running except TrackIR.

nVidia GTX 980, driver 430.53

Defend the Storage Depot CAUC 2.5b5.miz

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Happened to me again just now. This has happened multiple times on the same SP mission.

Flying SP mission. Just started up. Took off from carrier, flew to AO.

Have Gun selected

Press PAL lock with an enemy helicopter in sights.

Instant CTD, no errors.

Latest DCS.

No mods.

No programs running except TrackIR.

nVidia GTX 980, driver 430.53

That’s strange. I haven’t had that happen yet. I have a 1070. Drivers up to date. I flew that campaign created by the original Janes F15E missions. The first one you take out choppers advancing on oil rigs. No problem there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Won't the DCS.log file help in identifying the crash reason?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Well, I think I’m having the same problem as the OP now. What ever is causing it, I’m flying the cat in the PG map. After about 20-30 minutes it crashes without the option to send a crash log.

What even more weird is it doesn’t do this flying the instant action missions for PG map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer