F-14B + TM Warthog Throttle: start engine by moving out of detent? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
uri_ba

It works just as MatthIK said.
Throttle is a on/off switch. When lever is in cutoff switch is on.
So by proxy, setting cutoff is the correct direction. Cutoff is on when switch is on. (Which means throttle is at cutoff)

My pit building blog
uri_ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #12
bumblebomb

I got that, but where do I define what happens when cutoff is off? I can map cutoff to buttons 29/30, yes. But like I said, when cranking and moving the physical throttle over the hump from cutoff to idle pos, nothing happens.
bumblebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Supmua

Default F-14B + TM Warthog Throttle: start engine by moving out of detent?

If you use the DX button mapping route, then you need to use release command to activate throttle from off to idle. Mapping in DCS setting doesn’t work that way (only with Target).

Open windows joystick controller and look at the DX button activation. When the throttles are in off position physically, the two Dx buttons stay pressed. And when you move them out those buttons are released. So it has to do with the states of those buttons in DX mode—being either pressed or released.

This is why my Target mapping always work no matter what the throttle’s initial position is at the beginning of the game, because it would look at the state of these buttons and acts accordingly (pressed = off, released = idle)

You can just map with DCS settings but you need to set the correct throttle’s initial state when you start the game, since this way it only acts as a toggle button.

Last edited by Supmua; 05-14-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #14
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebomb View Post
I got that, but where do I define what happens when cutoff is off? I can map cutoff to buttons 29/30, yes. But like I said, when cranking and moving the physical throttle over the hump from cutoff to idle pos, nothing happens.
I don't have the Tomcat, so I cannot try this. But it might be the same as with some WWII aircraft: The program needs to "see" the switch's contact close before it will recognize its opening. Therefore try this:
When the mission has started, make sure the throttle is in "IDLE", then move it to OFF, before you begin the start-up sequence. Now the program will be able to "see" the change from OFF to IDLE.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
bumblebomb

EDIT / I got this working with RSmapper, actually. Release on BTN29/30 to RAlt+End and RAlt+Home for right (lucky guess)

Question though: why does this work at all? in the entire controls setup there is ne predefines keybind for "RAlt+End/Home".

Last edited by bumblebomb; 05-15-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebomb View Post
EDIT / I got this working with RSmapper, actually. Release on BTN29/30 to RAlt+End and RAlt+Home for right (lucky guess)

Question though: why does this work at all? in the entire controls setup there is ne predefines keybind for "RAlt+End/Home".
Isn't it RAlt/RCtrl + Home (left/right engine start) and RAlt/RCtrl + End (left/right engine stop)?

If so, these are default DCS commands for FC3 modules, but I'd be surprised if you can directly start the engines in the Tomcat like this.

Are you playing in Game Mode perhaps?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #17
bumblebomb

Not that I knew of... I haven't changed that settings after installing. Feels like a sim, too.