Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Another week, another pointless non-VR betterment update. ... :(

Here’s the thing. The change log 99 percent of times does not reflect all changes in said update.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rift S seems interesting, but if I cannot use my own headset like with the Rift CV1 then I will have to pass.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Rift S seems interesting, but if I cannot use my own headset like with the Rift CV1 then I will have to pass.
You can plug in your own headphones into the 3.5 mm audio jack. Probably in ear buds would be most comfortable.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I'd still like to hear Wags opinion of the Rift S, especially compared to the Odyssey+ and Rift, which I know both of which he used while working on and playing DCS in the past. Wags, when the NDA is lifted, I hope you can drop a paragraph or two and give your impression of the Rift S regarding DCS, especially compared to the other/past VR HMDs you've used while developing and playing this sim.

I'm using a Pimax5k and a couple Odyssey+ units, and I might grab a Rift S while waiting for Reverb/Index reviews and availability, but it's dependent on if it's worth it to do so compared to the Odyssey+ especially in my case.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I suspect that NDA has been lifted already considering all the news.

Heck some people have had shipping oopsies and even received a unit already.

I suppose Wags is quiet on it caue it could be considered an endorsement or some other such thing.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Wags has also had the flu. If I'm throwing up the last thing I'm going to do is put on a VR headset.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Wags has also had the flu. If I'm throwing up the last thing I'm going to do is put on a VR headset.
I heard that as well. Ultimately, as a major figure in their company he probably just has to be deliberate with his posts. His posts carry the weight of ED behind them. I guess it's not in their interests to divulge further information at this time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tested review is out.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Since the halo ring is detachable altogether, I doubt it will take long until somebody comes out with a desirable headmount solution.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

100% agree. I don't know what they were thinking with the audio on this thing.

I don't think they were (thinking). Shame they went that route after the good sound of the Rift CV1.

I will be using Earbuds with mine. Just hope the audio driver of the Rift S is decent.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Any idea what the name was for the clip on earphones shown on the review vid?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

that's a very generic review, I'd be more interested to know

what is the field-of-view?

what kind of screen door effect did you experience if any?

What is the absolute resolution?

Are the lenses smooth or fresnel? (it makes a difference)

are there light bleeds?

What is the comfort level?

What is the IPD adjustment range?

what is the absolute frames per second?

What were the DCS settings you used when you reviewed it?

What video card and computer set up were you using when you tested it?

how does it compare with existing products from Pimax, Odyssey, XTAL, etc. they didn't pay you for the review but they sent you free product. That alone can skew a reviewer's perspective.

you're asking the user base to consider this product which is a very expensive purchase. But there is no real substantive information in the initial review. don't mean to be so critical but this is one of those times when being critical has merit. Don't take it personally.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus X370, Win10 Pro, Intel I-9 9900K 4.8 128 gb TridentZ,

2X Nvidia TITAN V (volta) , 65" Samsung 7100 series 4K , 2 x 1 TB Evo 860SSD, 4 X 4TB HD, 8 X 2TB HD external array

Tmaster Wathog, Elgato Streamdeck, 3DX Spacepilot pro,, Thermaltake 900 tower Corsair H150 WC,

HTC Vive, Pimax 8KX VR, Nostromo Speedpad N52, Tmaster MFD x2

I found that review to be typical of that channel . Not worth the time .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

For users that plan to use Rift on HDMI or thunderbolt port, there are some bad news....

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi/

I hope this info can be useful before buy :-)

Good heads up :thumbup:

Yep, HDMI can't handle that kind of resolution/ frequency.

My 1080p monitor already need DVI to use 144Hz.

Luckily my GTX 1080TI has 2 Display Port, and my laptop has mini display port. But I don't expect much from the laptop GTX 1060. DCS VR optimization would need to be really good :D

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Yeah, turns out you also have your port connected to dedicated GPU directly, which is not the case in many laptops (esp. with Optimus).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

For users that plan to use Rift on HDMI or thunderbolt port, there are some bad news....

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi/

I hope this info can be useful before buy :-)

This is quite a depressing news.

I would like to find a few thing though.

The article says USB/Thunderbolt 3. I am assuming this means a single type C USB port that supports thunderbolt 3.

I was hoping a my laptop which has a type C-USB port and seperate thunderbolt 3 port would have a chance of being compatible with the rift S.

So wouldn't a standalone thunderbolt 3 port be okay in this case.

Edit

Sorry just check again. It is not a seperate thunderbolt 3 port but a type C-USB port with a thunderbolt 3 with thunderbolt symbol beside it.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

You have to check to which GPU the port is connected, as explained in the article.

Thunderbolt connected to nvidia GPU will work. Thunderbolt connected to Intel probably won't.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You have to check to which GPU the port is connected, as explained in the article.

Thunderbolt connected to nvidia GPU will work. Thunderbolt connected to Intel probably won't.

Yeah, I just checked it and sadly it is connected to the Intel integrated graphics.

I was really hoping I would be able to use the rift S on both my desktop and laptop.

I guess I would have to reconsider the Rift S thing. Perhaps look out for the Odyssey plus on sale.

Thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Take note that Odyssey+ requires HDMI 2.0. And it can have similar issues when port is routed through integrated GPU.

Anyway, there's some conflicting statement over the internet. Some say such configuration doesn't work with Oculus, some say it does. Of course I mean CV1, no user reports on Rift S yet.

In case someone is wondering, this is how it looks like.

Currently the laptop screen runs on Intel Graphic because of Eco mode.

But you can see in GTX 1060 box HDMI + Display Port symbols (even if it is actually mini Display Port).

I think you'll have a better luck to find this kind of configuration on gaming laptop rather than more casual brand. This one is MSI. But I'm not planning to play VR on this one, it would be a bonus if it runs good enough :D

495891490_GTX1060HDMI-DisplayPort.JPG.c629363c3b9fa4d41459095ffa97344b.JPG

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

In case someone is wondering, this is how it looks like.

Currently the laptop screen runs on Intel Graphic because of Eco mode.

But you can see in GTX 1060 box HDMI + Display Port symbols (even if it is actually mini Display Port).

I think you'll have a better luck to find this kind of configuration on gaming laptop rather than more casual brand. This one is MSI. But I'm not planning to play VR on this one, it would be a bonus if it runs good enough :D

Good. Your has a display port. Mine has got only HDMI port.D5n0jRZ.jpg