[NO BUG] New AIM-9 tone is painful

FearTheReaper

Let's make the missile go BEEP BEEP BEEP when it locks on like in Topgun The Movie too!

you flew tomcats. but shouldnt it sound like 2:50 in this video ? because the one we have in game sounds like a 10 000hz dangerous animal repelant frequancy. LOL

compare that to this NOİSE

https://streamable.com/st3id

Edited by 1Shot1KiLL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you flew tomcats. but shouldnt it sound like 2:50 in this video ? because the one we have in game sounds like a 10 000hz dangerous animal repelant frequancy. LOL

Not sure if that's the same video cobra got a hold of or not but I wonder if the higher pitched tone could be due to the tape distortion/tracking at the same time? I know back from watching VHS tapes that sound and picture was often affected at the same time... as heavily distorted video tapes.

But if their SMEs are saying that's how it sounds....

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

The tone in the first video is a cue that sounds on the tape when the pilot's trigger is pulled. Notice that it coincides with the mark on the upper left of the HUD video. That missile was launched without SEAM. Damned near launched without a SW tone at all since the CO was in the habit of turning down the annoying background SW tone during routine ops. See the picture here?

Turn it down, not off.

I don't find the time in the second video objectionable at all. Perhaps it is a difference in our hearing abilities. How old are you guys? ;)

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

The tone in the first video is a cue that sounds on the tape when the pilot's trigger is pulled. Notice that it coincides with the mark on the upper left of the HUD video. That missile was launched without SEAM. Damned near launched without a SW tone at all since the CO was in the habit of turning down the annoying background SW tone during routine ops. See the picture here?

Turn it down, not off.

I don't find the time in the second video objectionable at all. Perhaps it is a difference in our hearing abilities. How old are you guys? ;)

well if you say it was like it is currently in game, l can not argue with you mate ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct or not, its a horrid sound. Lowest possible volume, and it still goes trough my bones.

The growl is fine, but its the lock tone... just terrible. Instant migraine.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The sound in the video you posted; Is that an example of how it should sound?

Because that sound is immensely more pleasant for the ears.

It's high pitch, but sounds like it has a bit more modulation, and even a second, smoother, overtone.

(I'm 35 y/o with quite sensitive hearing :P )

The sound in the video you posted; Is that an example of how it should sound?

Because that sound is immensely more pleasant for the ears.

It's high pitch, but sounds like it has a bit more modulation, and even a second, smoother, overtone.

(I'm 35 y/o with quite sensitive hearing :P )

I couldn't have said it better - the sound at the 'incident' vídeo is way better.

I don't know how it was IRL, but was it really intended to sound like an ear piercing smoke alarm siren like at the sim ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Praise Celestia I didn't use 'winders yet with the new update. This literally just... hurts!

No more, no less. I personally can't believe anyone thinks this is correct now aj-hm.png

I don't find the time in the second video objectionable at all. Perhaps it is a difference in our hearing abilities. How old are you guys? wink.gif

This is what I expect it to sound like and a completely different tone. Added a spectograph of the tones. Left part is the solid lock tone in the video you posted, the right one is the one that's now in DCS.

(I'm 35 y/o with quite sensitive hearing tongue.gif )

Same rdlaugh.png

Edit: Also compare these two:

: Starts with a low growl, changes to a medium growl as soon as the target comes into the seeker and then stays like that which it shouldn't.

: Seems there isn't the low growl, at least not in this vid, but when the pipper comes over the target, it changes from the medium growl that the old DCS Tomcat had on a solid lock to the high screeching growl that it should have instead.

sw-tones.jpg.ebdc69de18d54cecdd781a8c97402eee.jpg

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I see, it should be "what you expect it to sound like", not what is was...

The video is an example, not the burning bush. It's exemplary of what happens when people find a snippet and run off into the toolies based on a single sentence from an obsolete source.

I wish I had a Euro for every time someone told me that sweeping the wings or using assymetric thrust was the proper way to recover from a flat spin.

Viewpoints are my own.

Well, I'm just wondering. DCS has the high pitch screeching sound already, it's located at DCS World OpenBeta\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Cockpits\SidewinderHigh.wav

Basically all modules that have Sidewinders use that. Before the latest update, the DCS Tomcat didn't use that at all, now it comes with an own sound that's at a much higher frequency. Why should it sound different in the Tomcat though? The tone comes directly from the missile's seeker electronics AFAIK, so it wouldn't be different in different airframes. Or is the current sound used by all the other modules just wrong? rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hmmmm, I've been told that the screeching tone was a lovely sound to a fighter pilot who was about to log a kill...

I understand that.

The AIM-9 kill is practically my favorite shot since always - there's you, your symbols at the "glass" and your enemy - right there.

Whereas with Radar, you're looking at contacts on an abstract monitor, (although I also enjoy those procedures a lot.)

I believe Randy Cunningham felt just what I described, when he downed that MiG-17 on his Phantom with a Sidewinder.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

.. i dont have any issues with the sound, although it is a touch glitchy and less affirmative as to when you do and dont have lock..

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

If it's the real sound, then it's the real sound. No more, no less. You already have the ability to turn it down via the options in your settings. However, it doesn't need to lose authenticity just because you don't like the sound of the pitch it gives. I agree that it is screeching, but I do also agree with enabling the helmet sound option in this situation. That, or changing volume settings. ;)

I believe the SMEs and HB more with their studio sounds of the F-14B and affirmation over "I expect it to be this way."

If it's the real sound, then it's the real sound. No more, no less. You already have the ability to turn it down via the options in your settings. However, it doesn't need to lose authenticity just because you don't like the sound of the pitch it gives. I agree that it is screeching, but I do also agree with enabling the helmet sound option in this situation. That, or changing volume settings. ;)

I believe the SMEs and HB more with their studio sounds of the F-14B and affirmation over "I expect it to be this way."

My faith in humanity is restored. Well said.

Viewpoints are my own.

That's what I generally do as well, but none of you got what I actually wanted to say. As mentioned, opposed to that are lots of other modules with lots of SMEs, especially including those of EDSA/BST that are all sharing the same tones, just the Tomcat now stands out with one of the three tones, the other being the same as in the other modules as well. So now shall I believe more in EDSA/BST and their SMEs or in HB and their SMEs? rainbowdashwink.png

And having a feeling something might need more work is the first step in investigating after all. Just to bring another example: I feel it isn't right that the Tomcat starts stalling at 45kft in level flight at MIL. And I also feel it's not correct that her top speed is M 2.15. Why? Because I've read different numbers in the past 3 decades in different sources that all correlate. Do I know? Definately not, because I never had the chance to fly a real 'cat. Shall I believe in what all the books said in the past? Probably not as well. If you'd ask why, go and do some research on the length of the river Rhine. It's been wrong in the books for ages, and it still is in most of them even though people at the publishing companies should know better today.

If this is right, which is the momentary statement, I'll take it as that.

BTW, just to jump on words that sprouted out of the seeds I planted with my "questioning": I never had any faith in humanity in the first place and I never will, for a good reason. Humanity is something as real as god. Get over it, learn to live with the dire reality instead.

PS: Nothing of what I wrote is meant to be personal if it seems like that, just to make this clear. I respect all the work that's done with this amazing module and the guys who did and will keep on doing it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

That's what I generally do as well, but none of you got what I actually wanted to say. As mentioned, opposed to that are lots of other modules with lots of SMEs, especially including those of EDSA/BST that are all sharing the same tones, just the Tomcat now stands out with one of the three tones, the other being the same as in the other modules as well. So now shall I believe more in EDSA/BST and their SMEs or in HB and their SMEs? rainbowdashwink.png

If this is right, which is the momentary statement, I'll take it as that.

Then we seem to be at an impasse, except, we're not dealing with trading our partners trapped in a bubble. :D This community strives so much for the realism and authenticity of modules, but once something does not please them in a way, shape, or form, it's suddenly needing a "tweak of their own" so to speak so that it fits within their expectations. It happened with the MiG-21bis where people complained about the FM so much being unrealistic because they didn't know how the real pilots themselves took off. But, this is HB so I will leave that out of the discussion. :megalol:

It only seems that we as a community must find something to complain about to go along with our day. This is not targeted directly at you, but just this seemingly general movement. As to your FM complaint, I am sure that is an issue and hoping HB will look into it. But to me, I trust the SME's of this module and developers more than the authenticity pertaining as to others such as ED developing their own modules. So, no sweat. Your post encourages more thinking than mere ranting.

The information that folks here don't know, or is based on obsolescent, uncorroborated, or anecdotal information, including that written in publications to include "aviation books", could fill entire libraries.

So many [modules] fall victim to this, as more "act-worthy" non-verified SME's try to take over and dictate what is and is not accurate of the module(s).

It's not a question of volume, it's a question of pitch. The pitch is too high compared to ANY sidewinder tone we've ever heard anywhere.

And IF this is the real sound (which I honestly doubt, it's seriously disturbing and you don't want to destroy a pilot like this, duh) it's still a good idea to make it optional because it truly sounds horrid, like fingers screeching on a blackboard.

There's realistic and then there's common sense - having a lower pitch would completely fix the issue while also matching what we've all heard from any lock tone ever.

There's also the small fact that these sounds can trigger people, INCLUDING pilots, and I would hope that the US Navy wouldn't degrade pilot performance over something so trivial:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

I see, it should be "what you expect it to sound like", not what is was...

The video is an example, not the burning bush. It's exemplary of what happens when people find a snippet and run off into the toolies based on a single sentence from an obsolete source.

I wish I had a Euro for every time someone told me that sweeping the wings or using assymetric thrust was the proper way to recover from a flat spin.

This is what HB has done for all we know, to be honest.

Out of common sense this should be rolled back, because it makes people physically uncomfortable - don't you think that if the sidewinder tone made people feel bad we would have heard pilot interviews about it?

This is one of the few things that the common user can diagnose as wrong or right, because the human brain doesn't change when you become a fighter pilot.

What does "anywhere" mean?

It means what it means. The burden of proof is on Heatblur - and in any scenario it still doesn't change that me, and other people, feel ill hearing this sound which is a big impairment to enjoying a simulator.