Introducing the Michelin Guide for DCS World

Stretch

Aha ... I read through it. And with that, the purchase decision should be made easier ... or what is the purpose of it? Personally, I find this guide useless.

Sorry you find it useless :( I have a lot of fun making it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Good initiative but the description of the aircraft is full of mistakes and misinterpretation can not be used as a reference..

Others have claimed the in-service dates in error, but they are not in error; the dates refer to the specific model in DCS.

I would argue the Viggen is definitely 3rd-gen. I know there is no clear definition of the generations of the fighters, so everyone can have their own opinion, but in my opinion, a 4th-gen fighter typically has a digital mission computer, integrated HSD, up-front controls, and/or digital fire control radar. I know not all 4th-gens have all of these technologies, but I use these as a yardstick in determining the line between 3rd- and 4th-gen.

As for the other errors you point out, they will be fixed in the next revision.

"also why make a guide if it misses more than half of all aircrfats playable?" -- because I am but one man, and I have a day job too! I'll get to all of them; it takes time.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

@Satarosa: I think he meant the estimated year of the aircraft version that is modelled in game.

The mirage should definately be revised in that case based on the current "upgrade"

Did I miss the harrier and mig19 in the guide?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The mirage should definately be revised in that case based on the current "upgrade"

Did I miss the harrier and mig19 in the guide?

Revised how? The latest upgrade from Razbam I thought just made the switchology more in line with the real thing. AFAIK it does not change the variant of Mirage that were flying.

Like I said in the OP, I don't review an aircraft until I've gotten enough hours on it. I don't want to review something I've only flown a few Instant Action missions for. I'll get to all the aircraft in due time.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Not to nitpick but looking through this article it appears extremely claustrophobic. Consider using smaller text, adding white space, or maybe some images to break it up a bit.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Not to nitpick but looking through this article it appears extremely claustrophobic. Consider using smaller text, adding white space, or maybe some images to break it up a bit.

I can appreciate that it feels cramped. I pretty much copied exactly the format of the real Michelin Guide (for restaurants).

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Holy S**t people the guy is just making a wee guide ffs leave him alone. Just because it is on ED forums doesn't mean everybody has to get all high and mighty about it and put holes in it, its not exactly endorsed as third party material so if you don't like it don't read it. Honestly

I can appreciate that it feels cramped. I pretty much copied exactly the format of the real Michelin Guide (for restaurants).

Fair enough, just my observation and piece of constructive criticism.

Holy S**t people the guy is just making a wee guide ffs leave him alone. Just because it is on ED forums doesn't mean everybody has to get all high and mighty about it and put holes in it, its not exactly endorsed as third party material so if you don't like it don't read it. Honestly

Providing honest and constructive feedback towards someone's work isn't what I'd really call high and mighty, he seems to be taking it like a champ: responding and benefiting.

You seem to be the one getting a bit bent out of shape if anyone.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

JayBird i was hardly referring to your one comment regarding the spacing of words. More the fact that people are trying to blow holes in his knowledge when he is just trying a wee project based off some dcs modules. its not like he is writing a dissertation or an actual michelin guide.

JayBird i was hardly referring to your one comment regarding the spacing of words. More the fact that people are trying to blow holes in his knowledge when he is just trying a wee project based off some dcs modules. its not like he is writing a dissertation or an actual michelin guide.

It's just hard to believe the guy spent tens of hours and doesn't even remember that it was B Tomcat he was flying. Just saying.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

+1 on the attitude problem, though we have to see the intent behind, providing corrections is constructive and helps improving the guide. For my part I find that useful to newcomers, and I only wish to improve it ever so slightly, it's not easy to proofread a document with objectivity after spending hours writing it and modifying it.

While it's useful to provide corrections, they should be delivered nicely. I think the attitude comes from the habit of arguing technical details, that we often find in these forurms.

But the worst is this kind of useless, entirely non-constructive and insulting posts that should pave its author's way to a ban: "... or what is the purpose of it? Personally, I find this guide useless.". Of course not everyone needs a guide, but as we often see in these forums, some selfish people who don't need something feel the urge of preventing other from having it, just for the sake of it I guess. It's just pathetic.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Thanks for this, really helpful for us noobs!

Like the style of it and thanks for taking the time

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I do like this guide, or the idea behind it. Of course it is as stated one mans idea, but hey - so is the original, too. Maybe get some friends aside to help/assist you?

Ah and to the A/B/C whatever model of aircraft - I really don't care coz I do know what module / campaign he is talking about. I do much more support the general idea of this guide.

As a long time DCS player, at some point in time, the modules list just grew bigger than what a normal person could follow.

This is a great initiative and a great execution. Let the nay sayers be at it for what it's worth.

I hope you keep on updating it, I'm sure it'll get better and better. Hopefully, one day it will become the GO TO guide for new players looking for a new module to fly.

Great job!

Yes thank you, for elaborating on my point. Being Scottish i often imagine the kinds of words that you have shared but often what comes out is just "Fek, arse, gobshite...." that sort of thing.

To the point, and at least people read you till the end, whereas they probably fall asleep before reaching the middle of any my posts :D

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 4 months later...

Revision 4 is out! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R5GZYMTFJqpa3LROpR-tvZregNXQLLiW

I've added a few more aircraft (notably the F-16C), and a handful more campaigns that I've managed to beat (notable The Enemy Within 3.0).

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Revision 5 of the Michelin Guide for DCS World ("DCShelin Guide") is out! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UaHEOmsSlNtm0oyddMqGIEuyR-DdoBOo

No new aircraft in this revision, but I did complete a handful of new campaigns, most notably Kursant and Baltic Dragon's M2000C "Red Flag" campaign. The biggest change for me though, is that I switched from using a free text editor to an actual professional page layout program. Hopefully you find this makes the finished product a bit more polished.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Thanks Stretch, looks good!

Thanks for adding a few of my campaigns - a question here though: are you playing on OB or Stable? Because many of the bugs you encounter on OB are introduced by 2.5.6 and not linked to triggers in the campaign itself, but DCS problems (some of the Red Flag, M3 in Coup d’Etat, currently many missions in Enemy Within 3.0). I tried to fix them, but some are beyond my capabilities and we have to wait for ED to do that. Just flagging it up, perhaps there should be a remark to that end somewhere in the guide. Otherwise, good read and an excellent guide!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks Stretch, looks good!

Thanks for adding a few of my campaigns - a question here though: are you playing on OB or Stable? Because many of the bugs you encounter on OB are introduced by 2.5.6 and not linked to triggers in the campaign itself, but DCS problems (some of the Red Flag, M3 in Coup d’Etat, currently many missions in Enemy Within 3.0). I tried to fix them, but some are beyond my capabilities and we have to wait for ED to do that. Just flagging it up, perhaps there should be a remark to that end somewhere in the guide. Otherwise, good read and an excellent guide!

Hey BD, as I'm sure you can tell, I am playing on OB. I actually thought carefully about whether I wanted to play on OB or Stable as 2.5.6 rolled around, and ultimately decided that the reviews should mirror the most likely experience that players will have if they buy these campaigns. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like most people are on OB. (Though maybe that's not true; maybe only the loudest people are on OB…)

That being said, I do hop over to stable to try some of these broken missions just to see how they run. Sometimes that fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't -- for example, M3 of Coup d'Etat is broken for me on stable too: Even if I complete all the objectives, I still land with a "0" score.

Favoring OB is especially the case with the Mirage ... for something like the MiG-21, which sees almost no development these days, I am more likely to try a campaign on Stable, but I feel like many Mirage pilots are probably on OB, to take advantage of the rapid pace of development thanks to ADA's support.

I'm definitely sympathetic to all the tireless efforts of mission designers in dealing with new OB changes, and it makes me sad to see gold-star campaigns like Operation Piercing Fury get abandoned, because keeping an older campaign up-to-date with ED's changes just isn't worth the effort. But I do want to keep my experience authentic to what the majority of the playerbase will experience. That being said, I will re-fly some of the most broken missions in stable and update the review if I see marked changes.

A lot of the errors I noticed in M2000C: Red Flag were errors in voiceover recordings (like PLAYER calling himself Chevy1-1 one moment and Chevy3-1 the next -- errors like these are in every single mission I think). I am assuming those will be in stable too.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you like the guide -- I try my best to be fair and respectful.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Thanks for the reply. I'll check M3 of Coup d'Etat. As for Red Flag with such a huge campaign those typos probably are unavoidable, once I have a bit more time I'll try to squash these... too busy with Raven One and Harrier stuff at the moment. Keep up the good work with the guide!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks a lot for the effort, but if I may, as a guide listing what each module does. I think you should refrain from writing subjective personal opinions on the aircrafts. (The complex, fidelity tags and stars,...) As these seems to be only reflecting your biased personal opinion on what are the qualities you personally look for in a module and can't reflect the whole picture with just a one line description or a little icon.

So I think the premise is rather flawed. Either you do full reviews or you don't. But don't give a rating based on two lines of very subjective information

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by lucky-hendrix

Thanks a lot for the effort, but if I may, as a guide listing what each module does. I think you should refrain from writing subjective personal opinions on the aircrafts. (The complex, fidelity tags and stars,...) As these seems to be only reflecting your biased personal opinion on what are the qualities you personally look for in a module and can't reflect the whole picture with just a one line description or a little icon.

So I think the premise is rather flawed. Either you do full reviews or you don't. But don't give a rating based on two lines of very subjective information

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Every review ever written is a subjective personal opinion. That’s the point of the guide. Otherwise the guide would just be a dry list of facts. The real Michelin Guide is a collection of very short reviews of restaurants, but just because the reviews are short doesn’t mean the reviewer spent only 5 minutes at each restaurant. The ratings are based on hours and hours with each aircraft.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS