So torn......

Capn Penguin

I AGREE....but VR is catching up...however, in my opinion unless you fork out for a 2080ti...Screen and Track IR5 is a winner

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

Cap'n maybe I have a suggestion for your dilemma.

I am using myself a ~90" diagonal, cylindrical curved projector screen.

When I'm in my rig, I am sitting at about 5' distance from the screen. The screen completely covers my field of view.

So in essence, it is a virtual 'VR', after a few short minutes my brain wrapped around the concept and the immersion is very much to my liking.

Hey, Meteop.

What projector are you using and would you be willing to post a picture and/or explain how you made (and with what materials) the screen? Sounds really cool!

Thanks!

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Hmmmmm. I'll see if I can figure out how you did that Meteop. I have a 55' inch and it's bloody beautiful in 4k. I am very lucky with the rig I'm running, I received it for Christmas and it is a i9 with a 2080 ti so even with everything maxed out it runs like glass.

Rene, I can promise you that whoever put the next gen VR out with decent resolution, I'll probably ditch my TV/Monitor all together. The VR experience is second to none for immersion, but having the resolution... I was able to spot Boogies yesterday while flying from much further than in VR and as a result able to put some strategery (Thank you George Bush for that made up word :) ) into my engagements.

So Meteop how did you build your monitor?

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would be delighted to do so, but since I have little time these days and I haven't taken the time to arrange a website for referring pictures, I will describe textually how I did it.

Hopefully I can find some time to do this properly, I am very grateful for all the knowledge acquired from ordinary people doing amazing diy stuff and will be making good on giving back t the community, in time (soon I hope)

I am using a Epson Home Cinema 2030 which is a 1080p normal throw projector. Mounted on the ceiling and lowered so that the upper edge is horizontal so about 6' from the floor. about 12' away from the screen.

This (about) 12' was devised doing a crude mockup, to determine at what distance I could get the maximum size image for my screen at minimum zoom so that the projector would be as close to the screen as possible, trying to optimize the brightness.

I took the design to RevIt (a cad software). I determined from calculation the radius of the cylinder to get the maximum screen size from a curved 4' x 8' x 1/8" masonite board.

I made a completely self-contained frame to put the masonite board on. The top and bottom parts are cut with a jigsaw from a long rectangle of 4' x 8' x 3/4" birch plywood, in which I took 7 measurements to reproduce the curve designed in RevIt. The curve is concave from two of the corners of the rectangle. (wow I'm really not sure I'm explaining myself clearly)

Once I have a picture setup (I have my own websites but have been lazy) I will gladly post all my dimensions so you might improve on the prototype.

The top and bottom part are screwed and glued with 4x 'studs' of 3/4 birch ply to make a frame. Once assembled the frame will accept a 4' x 8' masonite board pressed into the curve, nailed at 8" interval on the top and bottom parts.

After I mounted it on the gypsum wall using ordinary drywall plugs. I made the center of the screen at eye level when seating.

I fired up the projector, adjusted the image with FlyElise, the proceeded to make a 'vignette' mask with black felt for car speakers, glued onto the screen with spray adhesive.

Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you to paint it before doing the vignette. I used a slithly warm neutral gray because I already had it from another job. I'ts better than white for sure, better contrast, but I could definitely use some more research with projector paint.

All in all, the total materials cost is about 60$. The Fly Elise software is more expensive but still the _only_ solution out there for our type of usage.

I took the tape to the diagonal and it's actually 97". Trust me once your used to 'big' every inch counts!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I AGREE....but VR is catching up...however, in my opinion unless you fork out for a 2080ti...Screen and Track IR5 is a winner

Totally agree too.

The main thing that are keeping me away from VR, your gonna laugh at this... is an Existenz type of freakout. If you have not seen this movie from one of my favorite directors David Cronenberg it's going to redefine you views on VR for sure!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator