What Are People Doing With CA

CrackerJack

So I bought CA during the recent Steam sale. I've love my A-10C, FC3 and P-51D modules. I do yearn for a tank sim. I've looked at the CS manual and I guess I should have looked into it more before purchasing but I can't argue with the price. I'm sure it'll improve with time. Probably should have purchases SBProPE for the tank itch. However I'm curious what are people actually doing with CA. I suspect its MP? I don't see any SP excitement.

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, even MP is "challenging" while the uber AI can spot and hit you through woods and trees!

I found tactical engagement interesting (commander view on the map and ordering units to fight, like a real time strategy game) as well as the option to order units from your plane! A-10C starting to orbit, F10 view and have IFVs and Tanks seize a town or a Reaper drone attack AAA... like jumping into the AWACS or CCC and command units on a larger scale.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I treat it like a mini game more than anything. Throw some tanks on a field and shoot at them, though I honestly don't play it much. I bought it mostly to support ED. I think the concept is great though. Even if ground combat from the PoV of the ground fighter is simple, it's a huge step up for aerial observers.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It has a ton of potential, but I think the bulk of the missions running in multiplayer right now aren't designed with CA in mind (and that's probably how it should be). But, if you find someone else who likes to play CA-centered missions, challenge him/her to a 1v1 RTS style game. Those are great, especially at night for a change of pace - kind of World In Conflict feel.

Also playing as a JTAC can be a lot of fun if the mission is built in a way that the JTAC has real value and can actually be worth contacting to another human player. For instance a mission with scattered targets and AAA emplacemements (no SAMs) between buildings in a city and adding a fairly thick layer of clouds not too far off the deck in a mountainous part of the map with perhaps a light fog (higher clouds, fewer mountains to mitigate risk). Talking pilots on target (since lasing wouldn't really work) can be fun for everybody and challenging at the same time. Work the Mk-82's and maybe some shallow CCIP drops.

Just a place to start.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

Most missions on my Hollo Pointe server include CA. And in many of those the CA roles can win the mission. See the briefing notes for hints of this.

CA roles definitely upset the 'norm' for the opposing team, by moving the 'known' threats to other locations -- take a Tunguska into the trees or into a city, for instance. Or move a BUK site :-)

While you can operate most of the vehicles directly, it's true that you will prolly die on any encounter with the enemy due to their super ability to detect you. But I've crept up to ridges in M1s and Hummer TOWs and had fun success against armor and especially air defense missile systems.

I like playing CA from a 'chess board' perspective -- using the F10 View, directing groups to an objective and occasionally jumping into the driver's seat for a battlefield view.

Check out this AAR --

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3865620/DCS_Combined_Arms_Gori_Gap_Red#Post3865620

WC

Edited by Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Oh, and it is really a blast to watch the action on the battlefield from a Ground Commander or JTAC slot. The sounds are absolutely great.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

For some time in 1.2.6 I think there were more MP missions with CA slots, but I read somewhere that the servers used to crash also because of CA.

I enjoyed the RTS-style gameplay, but also duels with other humans, shooting helicopters with tanks, sneaky ambushes with SAMS.

ED has already started to improve many small things that are barely visible. The constant expansion with new sound samples for explosions, missiles, tank engines etc. is starting to look quite interesting and it looks like there is still more to come.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

The sounds are absolutely great.

... and if for some reason you aren't already, hook up good headphones that carry the low end well. A lot of the audio in DCS has really good low frequency sounds, especially the aftetburners of passing jets.

Before CA, I used to dial up the F11 view of the airdrome closest to the action and move my view to the battlefield just to watch and listen to everything. It was awesome and CA just made that 1,000 times easier and added functionality.

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

I've crept up to ridges in M1s and Hummer TOWs and had fun success against armor and especially air defense missile systems.

Especially at night. Ninja mon vibrations! CA is super in the dark.

WC

However I'm curious what are people actually doing with CA. I suspect its MP? I don't see any SP excitement.

Yep ...

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The one thing that CA did that I considered valuable was allowing human adversarial challenge to the ground game in DCS.

Its no secret that ground AI, particularly that which governs SAM behavior, is atrociously unrealistic. With a human being behind the controls you'll actually see SAM radar blink off and remain hidding, then blink on when you're in the heart of his kill zone and shoot at you with a much higher probability shot than the AI would use.

Basically human SAMs are way more fun to fly against. Thats what CA represents to me as a valuable contribution to the DCS sandbox.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

• ED Team

More often than not, I act as a JTAC at one of my training ranges. It allows more flexibility in how A-10C guys want to train. If they want you to throw a laser spot on a target, an IR light, smoke...maybe they want you to give them coordinates in Lat/Long instead of MGRS. It breaks up the monotony of the AI JTAC, and it also allows multiple passes at once. And you can play JTAC for other aircraft just as easily.

I've also done the artillery support role as well. One time (at band camp), there was an SA-15 in a town that nobody could get close enough to take out, so I launched a salvo of MLRS rockets on it, leveled the block, and the mission progressed from there.

And it's extremely satisfying to be able to land a sabot round on a T-72 at 5000m when you're both moving in different directions.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I suggest squadrons and other hosts to consider slots for JTAC humans.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I own it because... well, I buy everything that has DCS on it, but except playing around a bit and hopping into every vehicle once, testing the guns, driving around and shooting random houses I haven't done much yet.

Some things with it really suck, for example that the AI magically can see you and shoot you although it shouldn't be able to, and it isn't really fun for me in SP.

In MP I think it can be really cool because you can make the SAM and AAA defense and stuff more realistic (AI SAMs are just stupid, except maybe if they are really well scripted).

CA give you a lot of option to setup a dynamic mission....if you find someone to play the ground commander (GC).

CA can reduce the trigger setup in the ME - if you have on each side a GC or GameMaster.

But it is still up to the mission builder, how much focus he/she set on the ground units.

If you can only win a mission, if you have someone to take control over the ground units and every aircraft is only support for the ground troops (GC), then you will see more ppl. playing GC (or leave and play on another server...)!

I still missing the take over AI aircaft on client level..... :music_whistling:

A nice mission setup is, when each GC got control over only one vehicle.... a lot of fun!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

I haven't played much recently so it may have changed.

But it will be good when they include full stat's and logbook tracking for CA.

It would be much more satisfying if in MP when you killed a ground vehicle that was player controlled it said killed: "Player_name" instead of just killed: Tank.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• ED Team

I love having the ability to command armour when I am in the air, it adds a new dimension to missions. As well as the ability to jump into a vehicle and progress the mission that way. I would love it to improve to more of a simulation of tanks and such, but on the other side of it, there has been a number of times I have used it without even thinking about it, I would miss it if I didnt own it for sure...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I was scouting some terrain around Batumi for a Huey Farp when my chopper grounded hard. I hopped into different arty (top of a mountain northeast of Batumi), and fired at a bridge in the distance. Bang, rocking gun, smoke, and pulled up the (bin)oculars. Nothing. Ten seconds later, still nothing. Drat, I thought, not very real if there is no explosion at the receiving end. Maybe the shot fell short? Pulled away from the binoculars to see if there were any explosions at the bottom of the mountain. Nothing. Maybe there were ... wait! There! In the water! Splash!!!!!

Huh?

I fired again, lowering the elevation considerably. Smoke, rocking, clearing, nothing....

Again, I searched. Nothing. Then, 28 seconds after I fired, thick black smoke about 100 meters short of the bridge. Twenty eight seconds!!!

Fired again. For over 1/2 hour, I pelted the area all around the bridge, trying my best to zero in that bridge. Each shot taking almost half a minute to get there. I never did bring that bridge down. I switched to an apartment building.

Five or six shots later, the building looked hit but didn't burn... I loaded another round and scoped it only to find that, yep, it did burn... to the ground in rubble.

I tried for another building and eventually got that, too.

But... twenty eight seconds for the shell to get there? Wow.

I wanted to drive into the city but the trip down the mountain took a "turn for the worse" and I tipped it over. :-/

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Well, I've done some serious stuff, where I was a human ground commander, facing off against another human ground commander, and calling in air support from humans flying overhead in Ka-50s and A-10Cs, who were also calling in artillery fire missions. That was really fun!

But I've also done really dumb stuff like this, which was also really fun!

FcgJkqWHSJk

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Hey,

I mainly bought CA to support ED. In the long run I hope it will ripe to a more useful tool when flying online. Meanwhile I sometimes hop into a Humvee to spot targets when I need a break from flying and eat my late night dinner. Actually going to battle with it is, as mentioned before, very challangening cause the Über-AI can aim at you and shoot you in a glimpse.

It is not completely useless, no way, I already had my ball driving around in a Humvee and make A10-C pilots happy spotting targets or be Commander and control the Ground Forces. Both is fun.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I bought it in a sale some time ago (moment of weakness!), but have hardly touched it. I'm not quite sure what to do.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound