DCS - Why it's so great . . . and why its hard as hell to click the Icon to play it!

redmantab

It depends on what you also "end up " or at the time find enjoyable to learn and practise .

Quick dogfight or quick bfm using the quick start or build your own. I use a trigger using radio comms to start the fight from different positions.

Wags f18 campaign is a good balance of being not to faraway from action and to know your place in that mission and use the other flights to get to get the mission done. Help the ai where and when you can etc. Not much into those long flights to do...? Dont mind in mp when the team sets out to do... and its against others. Well thats dynamic and as good as it gets. Thats also when you know if you have learn something when practising.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This. The "cheats" in the options menu are actually more suited for training than actually playing out the game with them always on. I prefer full boar sim mode myself, but I have found "immortal" to be a good tool practicing ACM/BVR engagements. With this you can practice notching and closing to the target, if you get hit, keep a mental note and continue on to merge so you can practice the rest of the fight. Combine this with Tac View and eventually you will get good/learn enough to turn it back off. More fun when the threat of dying is there imo, but don't be afraid to practice using some of the special options to help.

+1

I think the difficulty is in pleasing both casual and hardcore groups of users. IMHO casual users - with limited time and/or fast-action oriented - deserve to enjoy the flightsim just as much as hardcore users - with time in excess and/or fidelity oriented.

However, one may ask how much you should allow to "hack" the fidelity for something that is inherently complex and time consuming. IMHO it is in the full fidelity (flying true to real life both systems and operational wise) where the real fun is! I think that current campaigns are already too much compromised and shifted towards casual users, where you experience action ONLY when you start the sim from TAKE-OFF. Consequently, users who choose RAMPSTART will find that they will miss out on most-to-all of the campaign action, for A-10C at least, and I'm talking relative quick and valid rampstart time here.

I'd rather see casual users having to make even more selective choices (compromises in a way) in what they are really able to simulate/learn with limited time available, as a result of knowing how much there normally would be involved in simulating a system and operations for any particular mission, in favor of allowing easy-one-click, instant-take-off and 2-minute-ingress type of missions or any other hacks. And who knows, maybe the added challenge helps in discovering the fun of fidelity and right pressure to convince (the wife) to allow for more time. There is always time. And I know for a fact this creates better pilots!

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

I built a mission a few years ago like this where missile or gun hits wouldn't destroy an aircraft. It would just make them return to base. And if the player was hit, he would be asked to safe his weapons and return to base. You'd lose all your score if you fired your weapons. Also, the AI would no longer attack you once you were "dead". it was kind cool. Sadly, I lost the mission in a hard drive crash.

Was that just with in game triggers? that sounds really useful...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

one way to speed up restarts is to watch the track where you died.

use time advance through the start up and take-off.

and then hit exit and press take control.

as long as the track lasts that long before breaking you are golden.

you can even time advance to just before you die if you want to. but more chance of the track doing something odd.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

one way to speed up restarts is to watch the track where you died.

use time advance through the start up and take-off.

and then hit exit and press take control.

as long as the track lasts that long before breaking you are golden.

you can even time advance to just before you die if you want to. but more chance of the track doing something odd.

1 - If i watch the track where up to where I died, I can just "take over" at that point? Also, it sounds like the tracks only last so long? I sense some sort of hold up on using tracks....as if you guys don't think it will always be a solution. During a campaign, I'd imagine if I loaded a track and took over that it probably wouldn't credit me for completion? I'd need to load the missions up individually?

2 - With that in mind, I can't seem to remember where I find my Mirage 2k Red flag missions to use them individually. Please point me in the right direction?

3 - Perhaps I'd consider, gasp, invincibility. Feels beyond stupid but you have to understand that I'd rather learn systems that I'm spending 45 minutes to "get to" only to check out wihtin 3 minutes...then 45 more minutes to practice them again. I dread using invincibility but may go with it for practice.

Again, this conversation is immensely enjoyable and I sympathize with some of the tougher stances some of you have towards casuals having to use hardcore systems and death giving it some actual meaning. I prefer the same approach to my survival simulators etc. Check out Hunt Showdown....a very enjoyable death is the end experience. In DCS, it just happens to be such a long "cycle" that even though I completely control my schedule...at some point, i need to increase time efficiency. 3 hours of flying to the same spot in a very well made campaign can make it tough to want to play again.

My solution to the lack of time problem is:

1) Choose a simpler aircraft to fly, like the L-39, CC-101, MiG-15 etc.

2) Fly simpler missions, like take-off, destroy target a few miles away and land again at the same aircraft. The mission editor is your friend! :thumbup:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

My solution to the lack of time problem is:

1) Choose a simpler aircraft to fly, like the L-39, CC-101, MiG-15 etc.

2) Fly simpler missions, like take-off, destroy target a few miles away and land again at the same aircraft. The mission editor is your friend! :thumbup:

Thank you for the reply. Respectfully, neither of those resolves the issue. I'm not going to give up on the Mirage when I've completed the first campaign and half of red flag. Just need some way to speed this up.

As I was trying to find out, would using the track work well? Also, can someone please help me find the Mirage Red Flag missions. Also, I somehow can't find my Red Flag missions anymore. I know that may seem silly...can someone help me know where they are so I can use them individually perhaps? Thank you!