VIACOM2 in DCSW 1.5?

Captain Orso

Is anybody successfully using VIACOM2 in DCSW 1.5?

I had it working for a while, and then about in July one of the 1.5 updates changed they way the COMMS menu was opened. Suddenly, if you had COMMS - PTT assigned to a key or a controller button, it would only activate the in-cockpit PTT button on the throttle, make a clicking sound, and that was all; the COMMS menu would not open.

A couple of updates ago, that was fixed, and what ever was assigned to COMMS - PTT also opened the COMMS menu.

But now, while speaking a command (eg "Batumi Colt 1 1 request startup") I can see that VoiceAttack recognizes the voice command through the display in the VoiceAttack log window, but instead of opening the COMMS menu it effectively presses <F2> and then <F3> and then leaves you looking at the <F3> view.

Whether any other key-strokes are executed before or after <F2> <F3> I can't say, but I've disabled the 'Mod Invisible Menus', which is included with VISCOM2 in the Utilities folder, and the 'No Pilot Voice Mod for Use with Voice Activation Software' mod, so that I can see and hear if anything is working at all.

Since I'm not seeing the COMMS menu come up at all, I'm assuming that it's not being activated by VIACOM2.

So, does anybody have this working in the current DCSW release?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Wow, nobody as geeky as me here? :huh:

Anyway, since nobody has a solution for my issue, I found one for myself :)

If some time in the distant future another geek stumbles into this forum with the same issue, here's the solution: VAICOM 2.0 for VoiceAttack, Post #452

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hey there, nice that you´ve already solved your issue on your own (although I wouldnt have been able to help you anyways :) )

If you dont know simpleradio, so click the Spoiler below, if you know it already...click in anyway :D

What makes VAICOM2 so special? Is that a necessary tool for DCS which cant be replaced by any other tool? Or could you imagine to switch to simpleradio? This is a great tool which gains direct connection to the ingame DCS Radios. Means that if you alter a frequency of any Radio using the turning knobs, so simpleradio is adjusting the frequencies accordingly which will be displayed via an onscreen repeater. Same applies for the Radio Volumes. All three Radios are adjustable individually and for HOTAS users, a nice and easy to use Setup enables one to assign certain Buttons to certain Radio PTT´s. HOTAS Warthog users can now use the Mic Switch like in real life. Bst of all, it´s standalone and no Teamspeak is required in order to get it to work. All you need is an IP to connect to. So if your whole Squadron is using VIACOM2, may be it would be an interesting thing to think about whether switching to simpleradio would be a good idea.

There you can see what it is: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2467431

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

:huh: I don't see how this has anything to do with what VIACOM2 does. VIACOM2 does not allow communications between players through VIOP. It allows the player to speak commands, instead of using the COMMS menu to select them. For example, instead of pressing <\>(COMMS menu) <F5>(ATC) <Fx>(select an ATC) <F3>(Inbound) to tell an airfield that you are inbound, you active your mic and say, "Senkai Colt 1 1 inbound", and VIACOM interprets the spoken words into written words, and then determines the key strokes necessary to carryout that communication.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

yep, I thought that it would happen that way :doh:.

Honestly, I havent researched enough before posting. I have looked what it does and it was mentioned that Voice Attack is needed, but I have thought that it was related to communication between Persons...so, I suppose best suggestion now is to completey forget what I´ve been written above as I cant say anythings about it.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

No problem :)

VoiceAttack is simply the app which interfaces between Window's voice recognition suite and what ever app you install into VA and the profile you are running. I believe Windows 'hears' what you are saying, and outputs in text what it recognizes, in this case to VIACOM2, which then filters and interprets what it believes your are trying to tell it.

I don't know how much use SimpleRadio Standalone would have with the warbirds. I know some players have been begging for some kind of VIOP implementation in DCS, but then again I don't really see what advantage it would have over Team Speak, which is already available for free. On the WWII servers, very few use TS as it is, or they use a TS server and channel different that what the DCS host's server suggests, so that they are in their own channel where nobody else can join. Such players will more than likely not use a DCS VIOP anyway, and those already unwilling to use TS, will also probably not use a DCS VIOP either.

I imagine the players using SRS are doing it because it feels like they are using their aircraft's own radios to communicate speak with each other, which is cool for immersion. But in the WWII warbirds, at least the P-51s, the radios have their frequencies preset in the mission editor, with no chance of changing them during the mission. I also know of no way to actually even see what frequencies are set. If the mission creator wants you to use the radio for specific tasks, he will note which channel is for what in the mission briefing. For example, Channel A for ATC Senkai, Channel B for JTAC, etc. So I have no idea how SRS would work in that environment, without the mission creator setting up his mission with SRS specifically in mind.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

So I have no idea how SRS would work in that environment, without the mission creator setting up his mission with SRS specifically in mind.

probably not at all :)

But it´s strange that nobody answers to your actual question in the first post. Is this tool rather rare on the DCS Sim Community and less known...I mean, I´m the best example :D

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

Probably because not many people uses it for WWII planes.

I only came up with the idea while trying to run a single-player mission, in which I had a wing man. Trying to direct him to what I wanted him to attack and when through the COMMs menu was a major PITA :mad:.

With VIACOM2 I just say what I want him to do, and he does it. It's much quicker and much simpler. While trying to coordinate a simultaneous attack on a battery of 4 emplaced AAA so as to lessen the chance of being hit, timing is so very important. Also, because we had very limited fuel.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler