DCS: Eurofighter Typhoon - Avionics

I have some doubts as to if it can actually do that....although it is not impossible. If AI can be made to dogfight in the sim surely a computer can dogfight the aircraft on its own...Im guessing that it requires knowing the type of threat, where that threat is in relation to itself, and the attitude (no i dont mean the teenager type i mean what the ADI displays) of the threat...Then AI algorithms can be used to manipulate the control surfaces in conjunction with the fly by wire and it can fight back.

How ever it works it works. How it senses the pilot is out of action, we don't know, it just does. It is nothing the pilot has to engage, from the little I have read on it they just say the aircraft is capable of caring on an engagement when the pilot becomes inoperable. Out from too many g's, etc.Maybe it senses when the pilot lets go of the joystick and/or throttles. No one knows and won't know.

Oh, cool. Were those Golden Eagles? What sort of threat were they simulating? :D

You are wrong man.

I am one of the Eurofighter pilot that flew in that mission as wingman. The data about the mission is correct. No typhoon shot down by F-15. You can believe or not but it's the same for me but please don't try to change the information to convince people in wrong way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Funny, I have 150 hrs logged in the Eurofighter and have no recollection of such a mode...

Funny you mention that... How that´s supposed to work?

I´m curious, really.

Doubting you now, that makes very little sense.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

How ever it works it works. How it senses the pilot is out of action, we don't know, it just does. It is nothing the pilot has to engage, from the little I have read on it they just say the aircraft is capable of caring on an engagement when the pilot becomes inoperable. Out from too many g's, etc.Maybe it senses when the pilot lets go of the joystick and/or throttles. No one knows and won't know.

AFAIK they normally monitor the pilots heart rate and blood pressure in the new fighters like Tiffy/F-22/F-35. Both exhibit certain behavour under G-lock or anything else. Tiff pilots please feel free to correct me...

:doh: GGTharos you are trying to joke with things that you don't know.

Chichowalker IS a Spanish Airforce Commander and Eurofighter pilot. He is one of the official EFA demonstration pilots. And for us is a nice squadron mate too.

Do a quick search on Youtube and you know what i'm talking about. :smilewink:

Oh, cool. Were those Golden Eagles? What sort of threat were they simulating? biggrin.gif

The 8 Eagles were from Lakenheath :music_whistling:

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chichowalker IS a Spanish Airforce Commander and Eurofighter pilot. He is one of the official EFA demonstration pilots. And for us is a nice squadron mate too.

Youtube? All I get under that name is a guy with "Rockin' Ballads" and a motorbike with last activity two years ago.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Were they the C variants from the 48th FW?.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Were they the C variants from the 48th FW?.

Really I don´t know, but making a quick search on Wikipedia I´ve this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Lakenheath

Edited by Ninefingers

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really I don´t know, but making a quick search on Wikipedia I´ve this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Lakenheath

Please tell me you didn't reference Wikipedia ;)

As to if he's a real pilot I'm always cautious until proven otherwise. No disrespect intended but it's easy to claim things on the Internet.

Lakenheath is home of the 48th FW. The 493rd are the only USAFE squadron that fly the F-15C. I wanted to know if it was the C variant because it would of meant that the Eurofighters would have gone up against some very experienced Eagle drivers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GGTharos you are trying to joke with things that you don't know.

Actually I know exactly what I am asking, and so does your friend.

That doesn't answer my question.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

AFAIK they normally monitor the pilots heart rate and blood pressure in the new fighters like Tiffy/F-22/F-35. Both exhibit certain behavour under G-lock or anything else. Tiff pilots please feel free to correct me...

That would seem also logical probably better than mine.;)

Quote taken from the Eurofighter Website. It would seem we are half right and half wrong. It appears if the pilot uses the autopilot attack mode that the aircraft will engage a target. So in that mode if the pilot should loose unconsciousness for a short time, the aircraft will continue its attack till pilot recovers or heaven forbid he gets shot down.

So I guess it has some sort of auto-attack capability just don't know how it works. Other than it appears it has to be manually activated.

"The Eurofighter Typhoon autopilot is designed for both long range cruising and to assist the pilot in tactical situations.

The autopilot provides basic track, heading, altitude and airspeed modes, and allows the pilot to fly optimum attack profiles automatically.

Advanced modes such as auto-climb, auto-attack, and auto-approach are available. The autopilot is an integrated part of the pilot's tactical control."

Errr.... No. First off, this alleged exercise victory was quite specifically listed as a "dogfight". Not sure how many dogfights are fought BVR these days. I always thought the two terms were mutually exclusive. Maybe that's just me.

I agree that speed, ceiling, radar output, radar cross-section, ECM, ECCM, and missile capability are more important than raw maneuverability.

I disagree that the Typhoon is superior to the F-15 in all of these (or even most). The F-15 is a mach 2.5 fighter. The Typhoon is a mach 2 fighter.

Currently, BOTH fighters are armed with AIM-120. You can't make comparisons with weapons that don't exist/ aren't fielded yet (at least, unless you want me to start claiming US Boeing ABLs are going to fly around melting all your fighters from the sky with death rays). They aren't pertinent.

I'm pretty sure the radome on the Eagle is larger than the Typhoon, and the available electrical power is superior, allowing for equal (or superior) radar. I don't know enough details to compare their detection ranges without doing some serious research first, but I'd be inclined to guess that the Eagle equals or surpasses the Typhoon in detection range (almost certainly, with the AESA-equipped Golden Eagles which now comprise a significant portion of the US active-duty F-15C fleet).

The Eurofighter consortium's claims of stealth are frankly laughable. They could compare Typhoon to the F/A-18E, regarding RCS... they could even claim to significantly better the Superhornet, and I'd be willing to believe them. But when they claim superior RCS to the F-22 in ANY aspect, I call BS. ANY aircraft with external weapons stowage is going to lose to the F-22 and F-35 in RCS, from all aspects, by a lot. An AIM-9 has a larger RCS than an entire F-22.

So in a long-range fight, it's probably closer to parity than either side having significant advantages. In a gunzo dogfight, Typhoon will probably win. In a dogfight with modern heaters, well, the victor of that one is more likely to be determined by tactics entering the fight than the capabilities of the aircraft, because it'll probably be over at the merge, with no follow-on turning fight involved.

Now, if it was 2x EFA plus 6x F-18 versus 8x F-15, then I can believe the fight going either way. I can DEFINITELY belive the Eagles losing if they were playing the part of the aggressor/ strike package/ OPFOR (where their tactics, SA, and capabilities are limited to emulate plausible adversary nation's aircraft).

You are not going to see any HUD tape because they were all BVR and as you can imagine radar capabilities and weapon launching parameters are highly classified newer planes such as EFA, F22...

I don't think there is such a mistery in the EFA beating the Eagles, nowdays the aircraft with the longer stick wins, nothing to do with fiery dogfights, so simple as the EFAs were able to deliver their weapons and stay out of the Eagles launching envelope. Nobody says the F15 isn't a great plane or that american pilots are not able, but 20-30 years separate the design of both planes, the EFA has better radar, can fly faster and higher. The F15 is aging, that's why the F22 exist.

Incidentally one of the pilots in one of the two EFAs who took part in that combat again the Eagles flies Falcon with us in our virtual squadron. He has told us details about that engagement and he is a member in this forum so maybe he shows up here later on to tell more. Just to give a bit of more information, the engagement was 8 F15 vs 2 EFA + 6 F18, the Spanish had to protect a slow mover as well, the F15 got to kill some F18 but all of them got killed by EFAs.

Cheers

Tulkas

The eurofighter is in fact,superior to the eagle in most aspects(superior TW ratio,superior maneuverabilty,MIDS(Link 16),better RCS,etc...),something that doesn't amaze me much,given the difference in years between the 2 aircraft. The typhoon can outclimb,and out accelerate an eagle anytime,remember the eagle is not exactly a M2.5 aircraft;not in operational situations,and the typhoon can also surpass M2,but the important thing is not that,

but that the typhoon can supercruise,latest informations from operational exercises with the Italian airforce have put a supercruise of M1.3 with 4 amraams 2 iris-t and 2 supersonic fuel tanks(specially designed for very low drag).All the talks about this aircraft tells that the handling above 40k has surpass any expectations,they have even said that above 30k nothing can equal it but the Raptor.

Talking about the radar,I'm not exactly sure of the detection ranges of the Eagle against fighters,but the last thing I heard about the ECR90 CAPTOR was detections in excess of 165km against fighter.Anyway I don't think this would be of a great importance since both fighters would see each other well before their weapons envelope.