Drop Tank Partly Empty?

Captain Orso

Hi guys, I want to create a mission with warbirds air-starting as if they had already flow for some time. They should be carrying drop tanks which are perhaps only 1/4 full.

However, if I add a drop tank to an a/c it is always completely full, and I can only reduce the internal fuel in the ME.

Is there any way to start a/c with only partly filled drop tanks?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 4 months later...

Just in case anyone find this threads, here is what I found out.

Currently there is no way to load a "dry" external tank. Most AC however will siphon the tank into the internals. For a mission I built with the F-5, you start with approximately 25% internal fuel. Over the course of the next 5 mins or so the externals are siphoned into the internals, filling them up. I'd recommend checking this occurs with the AC you have in mind for this.

So if you don't need the player to roll into action the second the scenario starts, you can effectively cause the same results in a few minutes of flight time.

Most modules (e.g. MiG-21) will immediately (0 seconds) transfer any external fuel to internal on initialization. So setting internal fuel less than full will cause internal tanks to fill as much as possible given total fuel and remainder will be in external tanks.

Exception should be Mirage 2000 which used to do above behavior but is moving to not doing this instant transfer on initialization. I don't know how it is at the exact moment.

I was actually thinking about the P-51 and Spitfire. Neither of those have any connection between drop tanks and internal tanks, but I suppose it would be worth a try to see if this is simply some kind of mechanism DCS uses to do this.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1